DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Being somewhat of a ticket snob may have caught up with me.  I was so excited yesterday to hear about the announced Dixie Chicks US tour.  Now after seeing the ticket prices I'm not quite sure if I will bother going.  I can appreciate the fact that it's a big deal but I wasn't planning on paying "big deal/once in a lifetime" prices.  I guess it costs money to get the Chix out of the house & on the road but I'm really curious to see if these concert promoters really know what they are doing.  I'm wondering if they are pricing themselves out of the market & won't really get a true gauge of what the interest level is.  Paying twice as much for a seat as any other big name concert at these venues just isn't going to fly for most people.

You clearly don't understand how things like this work.  There was some controversy about a Jay-Z/Beyonce tour a couple of years ago, because the tickets were priced so high.  I believe all of those shows sold out.  The price point for a ticket is generally the highest price they can charge, but still sell out.  If the Dixie Chicks are your favorite band, and they may never go on tour again, odds are people are going to pay those prices.  I wanted to go to the Atlanta Outkast show that finished off their last(hopefully not final) tour.  The tickets were reasonable, but they were also gone as soon as they went on sale.  They could have charged triple, and I think they'd have sold out just as quickly.  They are a lot of people's favorite rap group, and they don't tour often.  They could have charged any damn thing.

Explain to me how Ticketmaster charges higher fees based on the ticket price.  They aren't doing any more work on their end regardless of where the seats are located.  There was a $25 fee per ticket on the highest priced seats for the Chix show.  I downgraded my seats to something I was more comfortable with paying.  No longer under cover, but still reserved seats.  Still $250+.  It better not rain & I better still be able to take decent pics from where we are.

Explain to me how Ticketmaster charges higher fees based on the ticket price.  They aren't doing any more work on their end regardless of where the seats are located.  There was a $25 fee per ticket on the highest priced seats for the Chix show.  I downgraded my seats to something I was more comfortable with paying.  No longer under cover, but still reserved seats.  Still $250+.  It better not rain & I better still be able to take decent pics from where we are.

I have no idea how it is legal to charge processing fees for things that don't require any processing.  I went to a baseball game, and bought the cheapest ticket available online.  The processing fee was more than 50% of the price, but if you go to the stadium and buy a ticket you don't pay a processing fee.  They don't charge you a processing fee when they actually have to pay someone to process your ticket purchase.  They make you pay a processing fee when you use their automated system that saves them from paying an employee.  That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.  Ticketmaster is a huge scam, and I'm surprised they haven't gone out of business.  That is the definition of price gouging.

Got my first ever COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT warning from Youtube this morning.

I'm so glad some lawyer working for some shitty record label prevented the general public from listening to a live performance by a defunct band from 1973. The world is truly a better place because of this quality service.

• Like 1

Got my first ever COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT warning from Youtube this morning.

I'm so glad some lawyer working for some shitty record label prevented the general public from listening to a live performance by a defunct band from 1973. The world is truly a better place because of this quality service.

I remember getting dinged by YouTube over audio that I created. The software is far from perfected.

• Like 1

Have I mentioned Beach Slang on here yet? If I have, please forgive me. If I haven't, please forgive me even more. Awesome album for those of you who like Jawbreaker-style punk. Or just anyone who likes music, really.

you're the 3rd person who has similar taste in music to me that has mentioned them, and the first with a descriptor that makes me say "yep, I would probably something like that". So guess I will.

• Like 1

For years I've had a tune in my head, but I've never been able to find out what it was because it doesn't have any singing. Today I accidentally stumbled upon it. Apparently it's a tune from one of the Emmanuelle movies. I swear I didn't get it from that. Very relaxing, though.

Mark Steyn's new album "Feline Groovy" is the greatest cat themed album ever. Seriously I expected novelty but it's actually real good. I actually find myself humming his version of "I tawt I taw a puddy tat" and I can't get that song out of my head.

A Merry Christmas from Bigg Robb 

(the TuneIn Radio station I'm listening to tonight is a Memphis-based blues/R&B-ish station that has just started playing R&B Christmas songs)

----

edit: Same Station (WLRM 1380) also played "Santa Claus is a Black Man", "Santa Claus wants some loving" and "Back Door Santa" over that 3am-ish hour, in-between ads for a Christmas party at a Blues Club involving free food and liquor.

It's a Merry Christmas.

I have been listening to the cast recording for Hamilton.  I can't stop listening; It has a re-listenability to it.  There are so many good songs in it.

I think I would put it amongst my top 10 favorite albums of the year.

I don't know if anyone else here is a fan, but how are you guys diggin the new Baroness? I'm only a few songs in but I'm loving it so far

"Chlorine and Wine" is my #1 favorite song of the year.  The rest is good, but nowhere as good as "Chlorine and Wine."  Nothing is bad -- It'll probably take me a while to hear before I start picking up on the rest of the songs.

Reportedly, The Beatles had a total of fifty million streamed tracks in the first 48 hours their music was up, with the audience being 65% under 34.

So those of you hoping the Beatles fanbases is dying off or whatever... Uh, nope.

• Like 1