DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

In the "This looks exactly like Brexit" and "He was conning the shit out of the Consertatives"...

He's already backed off on outright ACA Repeal, and claims to not be getting rid of the parts that prohibits companies from not covering you with pre-existing conditions.  King was doing a hell of a spin that they've wanted this all along on CNN.

Maybe I'm overracting to the War, but terrorism falls into that camp.  Again, someone who's out demonizing muslims rather at least trying to sound diplomatic doesn't fill me with confidence that the image of a capitalist devil with him on top.

I've always been confused how come clean energy like positions aren't an option?  Building and maintaining wind and solar farms still requires work.  I'm sure a lot of the people who are sort of doing mechanical type jobs in oil rigging and parts of mining couldn't be trained to do that.

37 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

In the "This looks exactly like Brexit" and "He was conning the shit out of the Consertatives"...

He's already backed off on outright ACA Repeal, and claims to not be getting rid of the parts that prohibits companies from not covering you with pre-existing conditions.  King was doing a hell of a spin that they've wanted this all along on CNN.

Maybe it will end up going like this.

RomneyCare: We love it

same thing as ObamaCare: We Hate IT!

Same thing as TrumpCare: We Love it!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Joe Biden would have won.

Joe has the cool grandpa rep going for him these days, but he was responsible for a lot of the draconian War on Drugs laws. I don't know if an age where everyone's questioning what the Democrats actually do for them that he'd play well to minorities he essentially legislated against. 

59 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Joe Biden would have won.

After giving it an awful lot of thought and considering some damn fine candidates that didn't make it over the years I've come to the conclusion that the greatest political tragedy of my lifetime is that I never got to see President Biden.

I had to laugh when I saw the news about Trump wanting to keep some aspects of Obamacare. It's not funny but it's just incredible how you can go from "FIRST DAY!" to  "maybe I like this or that" all because he had a conversation with Obama.  Maybe he should keep having conversations with Obama. I don't know what to expect from Trump because he really just doesn't know anything. His opinion changes with the winds and tides.

It seems like the mainstream media is a little desperate to get out a narrative that Trump's agenda is already crumbling and he's breaking all his promises.

I guess that's one way to look at it, but wasn't everyone who didn't support Trump hoping he'd move a little closer to the center once elected and attempt to give a nonpartisan look at key issues like healthcare?

I was hoping he'd quit and go away and hide on an island and take every conceivable person with him until you got down to the position occupied by any democrat, but that would require him to have a cabinet in place with democrats in it. Also, the speaker of the house and such.

It's really something when the guy whose supposed to be the anti-elite of Washington is surrounding himself with the elite of Washington. It's only been a few days but it's looking like he's filling his cabinet up with people who wanted to be President so he can just do as little as possible.

• Like 1

On 9.11.2016 at 5:57 PM, Robert s said:

Just get rid of the insane "the winner takes it all" rule and split the electoral vote relative to the popular vote and the result of the popular vote will be much more likely the same as the electoral college without having to get rid of the electoral college.

As I was curious about this I did a simplified calculation how the election result would have been if splitting the electoral votes per state relative to the popular vote (treating all third party candidates as one party) and ended up with the following result:

Trump 256 electoral votes total (or 47.58 % of them - popular vote was 47.30 %)

Clinton 258 electoral votes total (or 47.95 % of them - popular vote was 47.75 %)

Others 24 electoral votes total (or 4.46 % of them - popular vote was 4.95 %)

So this system would be a very good approximation of the popular vote (still a bit discriminating to the third party candidates, though this might be a coincidence). None candidate would have the 270 electoral votes, so they would have to arrange with the third party people to get electected (I guess most of the third party electoral votes would go to Gary Johnson).

One of the NY rags had something out yesterday about Chelsea Clinton being groomed to run for Congress.

The message sent to the Clinton's and people in the DNC was well received.

"Let's get the daughter of the two politicians who ruined our brand, who works for their charitable foundation that could be a slush fund, who is married to a multimillionaire hedge fund guy and whose father ripped off a few million from his investors. She'll connect well!"

• Like 1