DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 ANIMATED GIF THREAD

I'll watch anything and mark out for it as long as it's enjoyable and not too preposterous. I don't particularly give a shit about the era or who's doing it if it's good in the context of what it was unless there's something specifically bad about it. The crowd loved it, so we can all just go crawl back in our holes.

Blassie, master of the delayed cane shot. He hits you and you don't even know it at first. He should have taught at a school for this art.

• Like 1

A fat guy who did moonsaults complaining about the flippy junior dude style matches. Not to mention he worked in All Japan whose big matches were scripted beyond recognition from all accounts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

A fat guy who did moonsaults complaining about the flippy junior dude style matches. Not to mention he worked in All Japan whose big matches were scripted beyond recognition from all accounts.

I'd say there's a huge difference between a guy - fat or not - doing a Moonsault as a big move (which is also his only 'flippy' move) and a guy doing almost nonstop flippy moves without rhyme or reason. As far as scripted matches go, I don't see the problem. Some people are good at improvising and some need to plan the stories they want to tell. But, in my eyes, those flippy matches have as much a story as a high bar gymnastics exhibition (or at least a story that's relevant in a pro-wrestling context). It's impressive and exciting, certainly, but when it comes down to it, to me, pro-wrestling is still about two guys trying to beat each other in a fight, and not two guys putting on a choreographed show where the illusion of hitting each other is a necessary part of the act.

(I don't say any of that with condescension towards those kinds of matches. They're just not for me, but I won't spit on anyone who enjoys them. To each their own.)

• Like 1

It's all tools. What matters is how they are used, what meaning they have in the match, and whether or not they hamper the suspension of disbelief. Vader could have built matches where the moonsault had no meaning and was just there for oohs and ahhs but it was generally a major point of escalation or a key transition. It's about making moves mean something. It's about creating narratives. 

• Like 1

I believe the phrase is Big E has no chill

(Also - the fact that Ron Funches and Wale were having a conversation about Ricochet/Ospreay is so weird yet not so weird to me)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Regardless of your opinion of the Ricochet/Ospreay match, that Ospreay kid better work on his potty mouth if he'd like to end up the WWE one day...

Every so often I'm reminded of a young, clean-cut, Christian soldier AJ Styles calling people "faggot" during matches all the time.

• Like 1

Onward Christian sooooooldier....

William Regal has spoken, we can all shut the fuck up now.

Pasted from PWI and of course his twitter.

Interesting to note is that WWE's William Regal, who is very instrumental in the company's scouting and tryout process, responded to the criticism with a bit of a history lesson mixed with some important advice via Twitter.  Regal's complete, unedited comments are printed below:

"I watched the match and was shocked.You need to start doing real stuff like people from my era like kip ups,flying head scissors,cart wheels and criss crosses.Get a grip!When I started the job in '83 a lot of the older fellas used to say that Marc Rocco and Marty Jones(who were the real pioneers of the CW style) had killed the business because they did to much.Although they may not admit it anymore,most of the heavyweights in Europe thought the brilliant lightweight and middleweight wrestlers were bad for the job because their style was "not believable enough"..Every country I worked in before I came to the US had different styles and ways of doing things.As long as there's effort then it's right.If the people paying you are happy and you get reactions then make your stuff as good as it can be with what skills you have.May not be for everyone but that's ok.In the match I saw two fellas who looked like fighters having an excellent,hard competed match in a different style.Win win!"

Regal later noted he was not specifically replying to Vader, but was entering the conversation after seeing others, including MVP, Tweeting about the bout.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I believe the phrase is Big E has no chill

(Also - the fact that Ron Funches and Wale were having a conversation about Ricochet/Ospreay is so weird yet not so weird to me)

FWIW, he basically said the same thing about Candice Bure's wrestling on Fuller House, too..

Yeah - I posted the Fuller House thing elsewhere and he has done that before. I am pretty sure it is stuff he was told during the early FCW days

Oh and Finlay tweeted in favor of Ricochet/Ospreay

In fact that the only real bad thing has been wrestlers abusing the whole @s don't count in the character thing Twitter does now. So many names...

12 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Regardless of your opinion of the Ricochet/Ospreay match, that Ospreay kid better work on his potty mouth if he'd like to end up the WWE one day...

He needs to learn from Joe Hendry in that respect. If I found anything a bit much, it was that.

But it is indeed time for him to learn to work a more sensible style. And he's taking heed the smart lad.

• Like 2