DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 ANIMATED GIF THREAD

I have to ask what is people's problem with that twitter gif? It looks like an amped up version of the usual junior speedy/flippy chain with nothing particular of note move wise being done. it seems like a far cry from the superplex to suplex out of the ring gif feat. Davey Richards that shows up every other month.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I like that push shooting star press spot way more than all the other bullshit. My preexisting knowledge of Wrestling Physics tells me that it would be more effective somehow.

Well, we already believe that a Moonsault or a SSP or a 450 splash is more effective than a regular splash.

The more rotation the better. Here the guy is rotating on both the x- and the y-axis, so it's double the effect. It's simple math.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I have to ask what is people's problem with that twitter gif? It looks like an amped up version of the usual junior speedy/flippy chain with nothing particular of note move wise being done. it seems like a far cry from the superplex to suplex out of the ring gif feat. Davey Richards that shows up every other month.

It looks like an amped up version of the usual junior speedy/flippy chain with nothing particular of note move wise being done.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I kinda agree here.  Just seems like two super athletic guys doing super athletic counters.  The Davey GIF is all about the no-selling of super high impact moves, this one has none of that.

• Like 1

Oh I had tried to move us away from this - mainly because I hadn't watched the match.

The gif in this thread that was compared to the Davey stuff wasn't fair. The better comparison would have been the one I subtly referenced

DTAM has plenty of GIFs from the match. Again - I haven't watched the full match. All I know is that I have already seen some folks that are VERY high on the match and I know that from the snippets I have seen - other folks are gonna to be infuriated by it.

It could be hella fun - who knows? By default - I would believe it won't be my thing but I am willing to watch it.

My problem is that I have already seen one review that basically stated that no-selling is the new psychology and that if you don't like it wrestling has passed you by old man. And if you don't like "flippy" stuff you shouldn't watch it. Again that is fine - but we all know that the immediate attack on that is YOU DON'T WATCH THE MATCH SO YOU CAN'T SAY SHIT!!!

This is again a bigger conversation for at least this match which probably shouldn't happen in the animated GIF thread. (I actually thought there was a BOSJ thread but I was wrong).

Anyway - I am off to find more gifs of Dolph Ziggler getting kicked in the teeth.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh I had tried to move us away from this - mainly because I hadn't watched the match.

The gif in this thread that was compared to the Davey stuff wasn't fair. The better comparison would have been the one I subtly referenced

DTAM has plenty of GIFs from the match. Again - I haven't watched the full match. All I know is that I have already seen some folks that are VERY high on the match and I know that from the snippets I have seen - other folks are gonna to be infuriated by it.

It could be hella fun - who knows? By default - I would believe it won't be my thing but I am willing to watch it.

My problem is that I have already seen one review that basically stated that no-selling is the new psychology and that if you don't like it wrestling has passed you by old man. And if you don't like "flippy" stuff you shouldn't watch it. Again that is fine - but we all know that the immediate attack on that is YOU DON'T WATCH THE MATCH SO YOU CAN'T SAY SHIT!!!

This is again a bigger conversation for at least this match which probably shouldn't happen in the animated GIF thread. (I actually thought there was a BOSJ thread but I was wrong).

Anyway - I am off to find more gifs of Dolph Ziggler getting kicked in the teeth.

Ok, that spot was fucking dumb.

That is all.

I don't think it's rocket science or anything. Pretty obvious choreography with some movements, just from what we've seen, very much done for the sake of them. Expressions and body language do matter (and I'm the wrong person to say this). Emotiveness does matter, and what I get from watching that isn't "I need to counter this now!" but instead "I need to move to the next position." I can appreciate the difficulty, speed, and complexity of what they're doing, but at no point in that long, complex exchange does it feel "competitive and not collaborative" to me, and that's a problem when it comes to my suspension of disbelief and engaging with a wrestling match as a well performed narrative.

I'd have to see it in the context of the match, sure, but I think there's quite a bit to unpack in that 20 second gif as it is.

• Like 1

Again - I just want to reiterate that, in general, if you totally dig that style and think that is MOTY. Great.

Just don't yell at me if I don't agree with you.

Meanwhile here is bouncing D-Von

x3h4dy.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Again - I just want to reiterate that, in general, if you totally dig that style and think that is MOTY. Great.

x3h4dy.jpg

I almost feel like we need a gif that speaks from the opposite "side of the aisle" as it were. Yes, we need fat and/or short guy punching each other. In the face preferably.

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Sure, absolutely. If that made you super excited great, and as a pure spectacle, I thought it was pretty cool and very impressive.

I was just trying to spell out a specific point of view because people seemed to have a hard time understanding it. I wasn't actively making a value judgment or calling anyone wrong. All in the name of understanding (this time).

30 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

I almost feel like we need a gif that speaks from the opposite "side of the aisle" as it were. Yes, we need fat and/or short guy punching each other. In the face preferably.

method=get&s=keiyth-hackney-joe-son-gif.

• Like 4

The Ricochet-Ospreay match was really good.  I'm not really a huge fan of either guy, but they are athletic and flashy, and it the point of Pro Wrestling is to manipulate a crowd and control their emotions.....well then mission accomplished.  I don't see the second gif as a no selling issue.  Dude get DVD'd, picked up and thrown back into the ring.....instinct kicks in and he hits another move.....both guys sell.  I think we have seen that plenty over the last 20 years.  I'm not saying this is the new wave, or I want every match to be like this, or your dumb for not agreeing.....I'm just saying looking at these spots out of context isn't fair to the match.    

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

The joy on Big Show's face cracks me up. And then it ends with Alberto just politely clapping, and I lose it. :)

Cena's "I can't come back folks, I don't know how it works!" face kills me every damn time.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I don't think it's rocket science or anything. Pretty obvious choreography with some movements, just from what we've seen, very much done for the sake of them. Expressions and body language do matter (and I'm the wrong person to say this). Emotiveness does matter, and what I get from watching that isn't "I need to counter this now!" but instead "I need to move to the next position." I can appreciate the difficulty, speed, and complexity of what they're doing, but at no point in that long, complex exchange does it feel "competitive and not collaborative" to me, and that's a problem when it comes to my suspension of disbelief and engaging with a wrestling match as a well performed narrative.

I'd have to see it in the context of the match, sure, but I think there's quite a bit to unpack in that 20 second gif as it is.

I haven't seen the match either, but it seems to me that a spot like that isn't really about trying to win a match, it's about two flippy dudes trying to prove which one is the most flippiest.  They're just waving their dicks around first, before getting down to business.

• Like 2

And yeah, sure, especially given the setting. It could be a kayfabe "Hey, let's put on a show together before we get down to business," but if that's the case, there's too much of them pretending to try to be against each other in ways that should make sense, while still not being nearly close enough, especially in the execution, as discussed.

Basically, one way or another, suspension disbelief goes out the window, unless what they're trying to do is go, from a kayfabe perspective, "Let's pretend to wrestle before we actually wrestle," and if that's the starting point of the match, I don't think that's a trip i can take, sorry.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Sure, absolutely. If that made you super excited great, and as a pure spectacle, I thought it was pretty cool and very impressive.

I was just trying to spell out a specific point of view because people seemed to have a hard time understanding it. I wasn't actively making a value judgment or calling anyone wrong. All in the name of understanding (this time).

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

See, I have no problem with either of these viewpoints because I understand them both and it makes sense to me .  I'm speaking more to these reactions.

6 hours ago, EdA said:

It's a shame the gif cuts out before Hansen comes in and Lariats the shit out of both for the ode to Davey Richards shit.

That happened, right?  Hansen killed them dead?  Please lie to me, I'm OK with that.

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

What does that "Report Post" button do again?

If you say "Report Post" or compare it to "Davey Richards shit" you're basically saying "Anyone who enjoyed this is wrong" which is what you're actually not trying to say, in the case of Matt D.