DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

On 9/14/2016 at 4:13 PM, nate said:

But admittedly Trek is probably the more valuable property.  I can't imagine "Mayberry: The Next Generation" making fuck money for anybody.

Wasn't that Gomer Pyle, USMC or Mayberry RFD, both of which did pretty good in the ratings also and got canceled due to politics?

What is most amazing to me about TNA is they were on the ground floor of the modern era of wrestling. It was TNA who had Styles. It was TNA who picked up Joe and watched him get over huge. Given their track record with indy superstars you would think they would give a shot to anyone who had some hype. Why the hell not?

And WWE gave them a comical head start.  Outside of the signing of Punk, WWE ignored the indy superstar boom for a decade. 

Yet TNA seemed to think their recipe for success would be WWE retreads. 

• Like 1

They also had Hogan and Flair and Sting and Angle and Jeff Hardy when he was one of the hottest acts in wrestling. The problem was Jarrett, Russo, and Dixie. They could have had any talent in wrestling and it wouldn't have mattered. The well was poisoned from the start and they still managed to produce content for an absolutely absurd amount of time.  

Dixie probably had some vague plan to get eyes on the show with established names then elevate homegrown talent, but she was overwhelmed by her own reverence for Vince's stars. She brought in so many at once that she couldn't afford or control that it was never going to work. Her overextension was admirable in its audacity and pitiful in its execution. 

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Audacious and Pitiful: The Story of TNA

From that Mike Johnson article

And if so, what is TNA fighting for if, as recent history has shown, that victory is simply hitting reset at the end and playing this game over and over again?

Isn't that also the story of TNA?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, (BP) said:

So it's sort of like a financially hemorrhaging Groundhog Day, where the production money is all gone so they wake up one morning and it's no longer starring Bill Murray and Andie McDowell but Joel Murray and Andy Milinokis? 

Pretty much. And instead of the company being run by the guy from Smashing Pumpkins, Dishwalla is now involved. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Russo column a couple years ago

Many people dont know this, but I actually came up with TNA, and it was supposed to mean EXACTLY what you think it was supposed to mean (Tits and Ass!). TOTAL NON-STOP ACTION, was just designed to be the EXPLANATION if anybody ever asked. Originally TNA was to be adult-orientated, with adult storylines, harsh language and nudity. Thats why it was originally pitched as a pay-per-view show, rather than a network one. Unfortunately, over the years, TNA became just another wrestling show. When I originally came up with it, it was entitled, Bitch Slap, and it was going to be the GLOW of the 2000s! I pitched it as a weekly pay per view to Direct TV alongside Jeremy Borash, long before TNA was first pitched. Direct TV loved it, but we didnt have the 'know about' to get the funding. I actually met with GLOWs David McLane prior to the pitch. The concept was based around R-Rated female characters with such names as Birdy Hole-4-One (Professional Golfer), Beastie Ally (do I really need to explain?), and Tag Team Champions Moose Knuckle and Camel Toe (again, no explanation necessary).

GLOW wasn't exactly a high point in women's wrestling to begin with.  It basically was a softcore, teenage boy's wet dream representation of women's wrestling.  Only Vince Russo would watch GLOW and think "Y'know what the world needs?  A more crass, vulgar, misogynistic version of GLOW.  Yeah, that's the ticket."

That said, the most surprising thing is that Russo is willing to admit to this, years later.  It didn't get off the ground.  If I pitched this as a failed pilot, and no one was the wiser (since it didn't get made), I would not be telling people about this.  That's the last thing I'd be doing.

Even by Ruso standards, this sounds hideous. Just when you think Russo can't get any sleazier, he brings out an even larger human centipede and proves you wrong.  Amazing. 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

GLOW wasn't exactly a high point in women's wrestling to begin with.  It basically was a softcore, teenage boy's wet dream representation of women's wrestling.  Only Vince Russo would watch GLOW and think "Y'know what the world needs?  A more crass, vulgar, misogynistic version of GLOW.  Yeah, that's the ticket."

That said, the most surprising thing is that Russo is willing to admit to this, years later.  It didn't get off the ground.  If I pitched this as a failed pilot, and no one was the wiser (since it didn't get made), I would not be telling people about this.  That's the last thing I'd be doing.

Even by Ruso standards, this sounds hideous. Just when you think Russo can't get any sleazier, he brings out an even larger human centipede and proves you wrong.  Amazing. 

To be sorta fair, GLOOW is getting a revival...which will likely be nothing like what he proposed, but he was right about such products possibly finding a better audience in modern day.

Multiple people in the tv industry have talked about failed and terrible ideas they had. Russo has done far worse things that actually happened so this ain't much really.

34 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

My favorite is when that little shithead Josh Matthews starts banning people on Twitter for asking if the rumors are true.  

He is basically the announcer version of Mr Anderson saying and doing stupid things that make him look awful.

• Like 1