DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

Didn't Andy Griffith last for a number of seasons almost exponentially longer than Star Trek?  Isn't that argument sort of defusing the point being attempted here?

And the whole thing about the WWE not taking from TNA: They didn't turn away Joe, Aries, Styles, Roode, et al.  And didn't "the Final Deletion" result in the "New Day give the Wyatt's a home visit" movie?

And the "no one's the next Hulk Hogan" argument: Doesn't Austin's ECW footage make its way into official WWE retrospectives on his career?  Don't they still go with the re-recorded footage where Joey Styles says (of Austin's middle finger) "you'll never get ahead in this business that way Steve?"  And Styles the AJ was just given the heavyweight strap, and the one with the long lineage at that.

This argument is a confusing one.

• Like 1

And the bottom line is it's content. Content is king: all the digital distributors have learn this golden rule.

It matters a lot to WWE because they are seriously enough about it that they fired that asshat of an exec who dropped the ball on purchasing the NWA tape library.

But Trek is a more valuable property. It appeals to a larger audience. 

Outside of Rhoode, TNA didn't exactly make those guys. WWE might steal something from TNA but it's not like this Royal Rumble vs War Games stuff here in comparison.

The Austin comparison might be alright if it looked liked TNA had someone like that, but really doesn't look like they did. Austin was already great before he got to ECW. It was a spot of coffee and gone. Pick three letters and put them together, AJ Styles probably had a ***+ match in that federation too long before being in TNA. It's not like TNA was making their roster into bigger stars. AJ was pushed in TNA but does anyone think that really helped his career more than his work in Japan and ROH?

Yeah it's really all just content. But some 4 odd million people were WCW fans who just stopped watching wrestling. When they had a chance to relive that magic they bought dvds and network subscriptions. TNAs fan base is no where close in size to that.

Considering TNA has had a wider audience in the US than RoH and NJPW combined, yes, TNA was more important in Styles career, considering that without those NWA/TNA title runs, Styles doesn't get those two IWGP Title runs over the last 2 years.

Your dislike of TNA and insistance that no one watches it is clouding your judgement.  TNA has already existed longer than ECW and WCW did, and is coming up on passing JCP under Junior.  It may be a distant 2, but it's still number 2, and still holds 14 years of footage of guys currently on the WWE Roster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

For the record, The Andy Griffith Show ranked 4, 7, 6, 5, 4, 6, 3, and 1 in the ratings in each of its seasons.

Meanwhile...

"Star Trek's Nielsen ratings while on NBC were low, and the network cancelled it after three seasons and 79 episodes."

So no..."more people" certainly did not want to watch Star Trek.

Trek was also overly expensive (It killed Desilu and forced Lucy to sell her lot to Paramount). It was actually meant to be cancelled after one season.

There's also the fact that Star Trek lost shit tons of money and only the slow cult following it aquired late into it's syndication run gave it a movie, and that movie barely preformed.  If Wrath of Khan hadn't done as well on a lowered budget, the franchise was done.

The thing about this whole argument is nobody is really defining what the the cost of the TNA library would be in regards to worth. Whatever Billy Pumpkin is buying the company for now, the question remains what he will sell it for when it goes under, presumably after it's last run on c-span 4 in 2023. I'm guessing it will be like 100K. And speaking of fuck money, WWE got that fuck money. They'll buy it. 

And for Vader's post above, I tried to go to shopTNA website to find a wrestling related item to post about here and all I got was 

Server Error

We are unable to process your transaction at this time. Please wait a few minutes and try again.

TNA everybody!

7 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

And for Vader's post above, I tried to go to shopTNA website to find a wrestling related item to post about here and all I got was 

Server Error

We are unable to process your transaction at this time. Please wait a few minutes and try again.

TNA everybody!

I went to check that out, and while I got to the site no problem, I did notice that they offer "free shiping" (sic).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

For the record, The Andy Griffith Show ranked 4, 7, 6, 5, 4, 6, 3, and 1 in the ratings in each of its seasons.

Meanwhile...

"Star Trek's Nielsen ratings while on NBC were low, and the network cancelled it after three seasons and 79 episodes."

So no..."more people" certainly did not want to watch Star Trek.

I was thinking in syndication, not origial run as a comparison point to being on the network where it wouldn't be original material. I don't think TNA will create new fans once exposed to more people unlike Trek, who time has been very kind to.

My distaste for TNA has nothing to do with their ratings dwindling to smaller and smaller numbers after failing to break a 2.0 rating.