DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

A couple of packs of smokes and a half-eaten Slim Jim?  That's the most I'd be willing to pay.  

Maybe Corgan just swapped Dixie a box of irregular "Zero" shirts for it.

and a lot of unsold copies of the Zwan album

• Like 1

14 hours ago, turk128 said:

Maybe Corgan is a financial genius and he'll flip TNA for big profits to WWE. I mean, the tape library alone is worth something, right?

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but isn't the value of that footage practically nothing? Outside of WWE no one has interest and all the footage they have, WWE has better footage of for the most part. Given how much footage the WWE has, I can't see much reason they'd be interested in this stuff.

33 minutes ago, DTTW said:

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but isn't the value of that footage practically nothing? Outside of WWE no one has interest and all the footage they have, WWE has better footage of for the most part. Given how much footage the WWE has, I can't see much reason they'd be interested in this stuff.

There's tons of good footage, particularly the early years.  Tons of matches with AJ, Joe, Sting, Angle if he comes back, there's a lot of good stuff they can use.  It might not be seen as super valuable to them, but definitely would be worth picking up.

4 hours ago, NickMD said:

There's tons of good footage, particularly the early years.  Tons of matches with AJ, Joe, Sting, Angle if he comes back, there's a lot of good stuff they can use.  It might not be seen as super valuable to them, but definitely would be worth picking up.

But, that footage wasn't a draw in the first place. (Well not much of a draw) so why does it become more valuable, especially since it is already readily available in multiple formats already? Not to mention, no one is really watching it now. 

In regards to matches, WWE already either has nearly all a wrestlers body of work (sting), or they a relationship with another company that would have similar or better footage (joe). It's not like that Sting DVD didn't sell because it lacked TNA footage.

I just think the footage as a whole is worth almost next to nothing. With there being only one buyer, the lowballing will likely be extreme and whoever would try and unload it to the WWE is going to get very disappointed in their offer.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

WWE would purchase TNA for the footage just so they could put out "The Self Destruction of Jeff Jarrett".

Then, we may also finally get that 3 disc Ultimate Braden Walker collection.

I'll give you Braden but they already have years of Jeff footage to do that with.

• Like 1

That's true, but being able to include TNA in it gives it more of a burned bridge feel. Jarrett had nowhere else to go, so he and his father started their own promotion and made Jeff the top guy. Towards the end, throw in a quip about Jarrett trying to con people into buying gold. 

10 hours ago, DTTW said:

It's content. The more the Network has of it, the better. And there's real value in it because the many ways WWE would package said content to give it value.

And like many people have pointed out, there's plenty of good stuff among the shit that is TNA.

A comparison would be how ex-TNA wrestlers are finding so much more success under the WWE umbrella.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's true, but being able to include TNA in it gives it more of a burned bridge feel. Jarrett had nowhere else to go, so he and his father started their own promotion and made Jeff the top guy. Towards the end, throw in a quip about Jarrett trying to con people into buying gold. 

He's already running GWF.

7 hours ago, turk128 said:

It's content. The more the Network has of it, the better. And there's real value in it because the many ways WWE would package said content to give it value.

And like many people have pointed out, there's plenty of good stuff among the shit that is TNA.

A comparison would be how ex-TNA wrestlers are finding so much more success under the WWE umbrella.

It's content that didn't draw for a crap and has no real tie to the WWE - while I agree it would be great on the network, the value of it as a whole has to be extremely limited. Wasn't TNA's highest rating darn close to equal with the WWE network subscribers numbers...I gotta feeling the only people who were ever going to watch that stuff already did and given TNA's ratings plunging decline, I am very doubtful anyone is interested in a second viewing. Especially if they had to pay for it the second time around.

People who've only ever watched WWE consider AJ vs Samoa Joe a dream match and hope that one day they could see it. People who watch TNA have seen it many times. But WWE has a whole shitload of fans who will refuse to watch any wrestling that isn't MeekMahan-ised.

2 hours ago, DTTW said:

It's content that didn't draw for a crap and has no real tie to the WWE - while I agree it would be great on the network, the value of it as a whole has to be extremely limited. Wasn't TNA's highest rating darn close to equal with the WWE network subscribers numbers...I gotta feeling the only people who were ever going to watch that stuff already did and given TNA's ratings plunging decline, I am very doubtful anyone is interested in a second viewing. Especially if they had to pay for it the second time around.

I'm not sure if you're deliberatly being this obtuse that you're using ratings as a reason as to why the TNA library has no value.  I mean, it only has the gross bulk of the career of the current WWE World Champion, along with his past matches and interactions with currently signed NXT stars that have been pimped as big deals since entering, numerous WWE Legends, and Numerous WWE Hall of Famers including Sting, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle, Scott Steiner, The Dudleys, Christian, etc.  And a bunch of work from those guys, like the back half of Angle's career and the 10 year gap in Sting's.  And a lot of Hardy stuff that will be relevant when they eventually sign the Legends deal with they're finally done.  And the entire career of Bobby Roode, and a good chunk of Aries, and Joe's..

Right, it has no value because of ratings.  And nope, absolutly no tie to WWE.

50 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

I'm not sure if you're deliberatly being this obtuse that you're using ratings as a reason as to why the TNA library has no value.  I mean, it only has the gross bulk of the career of the current WWE World Champion, along with his past matches and interactions with currently signed NXT stars that have been pimped as big deals since entering, numerous WWE Legends, and Numerous WWE Hall of Famers including Sting, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle, Scott Steiner, The Dudleys, Christian, etc.  And a bunch of work from those guys, like the back half of Angle's career and the 10 year gap in Sting's.  And a lot of Hardy stuff that will be relevant when they eventually sign the Legends deal with they're finally done.  And the entire career of Bobby Roode, and a good chunk of Aries, and Joe's..

Right, it has no value because of ratings.  And nope, absolutly no tie to WWE.

You are valuing things from the wrong perspective. As a fan, yeah that stuff is cool, but as a business, if I want to determine what value this product has, you have to look at the money it has been able to make. That is not very much. Their ratings constantly went down. People were clearly not interested. Why would a business pay a lot for something that has demonstrated it has a low value? You really think TNA is worth more than WCW? Didn't WWE only pay like 1.5 million for something like 30 years of footage?

WCW ECW NWA you could all point to how they tie into the WWE. You can't do that with TNA. All they did was aquire guys WWE got rid of for one reason or another. TNA happened as a reaction to WWE, but it really doesn't tie into the WWE narrative. They are just an outside wrestling company who had a bigger stage to fail on than most post WWE winning their little wrestling war.

I could point how TNA has the same tie in as WCW/JCP/ECW does, as in the amount of WWE guys that passed through them all and that Vince bought all those assests.  He also bought and found value in the Stampede, AWA, Mid-South, and World Class library's and outside of Stampede being a stretch, there's zero tie in to WWE in those library's under your standards.

From a business standpoint, the ratings and drawing power of TNA means nothing to the value of the library.  The value of the library is in the value of the current status of the guys on it, and if the people subscribing to the Network and buying DVD's will buy DVD's and sub to the Network for 90% of the careers of AJ Styles and Bobby Roode, and 50% of the career of Kurt Angle. It's not the value of what it *has* drawn as TNA, it's the value of what it *can* draw marketed under the WWE banner, which Vince has seen when he bought ECW, and WCW, and AWA, and Mid-South, etc etc etc.

All the promotions that aren't WWE stopped drawing and made no money, that's why they're out of business and Vince owns their tape library.  If Corgan buys TNA lock stock and barrel, then fails to turn it around and bails, I'm sure Vince will jump at the chance to buy the assests for pennies on the dollar compaired to what Corgan paid, just like he did every other promotion that died, because people will pay to watch the back stuff, and that's the value.

Those other companies all were fighting to beat Vince and he drew from them to do better for himself. No one from TNA is likely going to become the next Hogan. It could happen but...

If ratings don't matter for value then why was that the determining factor for reselling content for decades? Star Trek comanded more than Andy Griffith because more people would watch Trek. If more people aren't going to buy the network for the additional content, then what is it truly worth? Why will they start once it's on the network?

No other company is or did better under the WWE banner so how do you expect TNA to be different? They certainly have been helpful in making WWE more money, but no one is clamoring for Stampede to return.

I agree they could and probably will buy it, but the notion its worth much I just can't grasp given the metrics that are available to look at. 

Are the WWE paying money for appearances on the network? They would probably not buy it then just to never give Jarrett another dime outta spite. How many more checks would they need to start writing then....that has to be a huge headache.