DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Sorry to change the subject, but as a novice on puroresu I have a question, with the way the story went down with Okada and Tanahashi, could it be fair to compare the story to the Misawa/Kawada story?  In terms of Okada winning matches but not winning THE matches?  Or am I just looking at it too simple here?

Sorry to change the subject, but as a novice on puroresu I have a question, with the way the story went down with Okada and Tanahashi, could it be fair to compare the story to the Misawa/Kawada story? In terms of Okada winning matches but not winning THE matches? Or am I just looking at it too simple here?

They have nothing in common.

Sorry to change the subject, but as a novice on puroresu I have a question, with the way the story went down with Okada and Tanahashi, could it be fair to compare the story to the Misawa/Kawada story?  In terms of Okada winning matches but not winning THE matches?  Or am I just looking at it too simple here?

It's closer to Misawa/Jumbo, in the sense of the new younger guy trying to knock off the ace to take his spot for years, finally doing it at a huge show where the torch was officially passed. But even that is a bit of a stretch.

Misawa had like a seven year build and a high profile singles match as Tiger Mask II vs Jumbo before beating him. Okada just came back from an excursion and won the title out of nowhere. Misawa vs Jumbo also never got a proper finish due to Jumbo's illness.

Can we have a fantasy booking thread so I can avoid it & I don't have to read page after page of wishes, hopes & dreams?

Is there a reason that people hate fantasy booking so much? It's no different than the speculation we see in sports threads/forums.

Can we have a fantasy booking thread so I can avoid it & I don't have to read page after page of wishes, hopes & dreams?

Is there a reason that people hate fantasy booking so much? It's no different than the speculation we see in sports threads/forums.

There are so many interesting things to talk about with what is actually happening or has happened. Fantasy booking gets frustrating because you end up reading a long post about something that will never ever happen, and that post inevitably leads to ten other posts that consist of 'your booking is bad, let me share my equally bad booking'. I don't think there is anything wrong with fantasy booking, but it's tough when people (like myself, Lacelle, and I suspect some others) aren't particularly interested because it tends to really end up dominating and taking over all the threads where it's present. That's why I think Lacelle's suggestion of it having it's own thread is a strong one.

• Like 1

I do not want to see the Rock, Undertaker, Sting, Hogan, HHH, Foley, VKM, Flair, Michaels, Nash, Goldberg or Steiner et al, ever wrestle on a PPV ever again. This is triply so when they have so much new and/or young talent to push. It's not worth the money (vs. long term booking tickets sold) or the spot on the card or the heartbreak of seeing these broken down warriors tarnish their legacy (my memories?). It is the job of the promotion to educate the viewers even if it takes time and extra effort to get the up&comers over. There is so much talent that there could be multiple pushes/re-gimmicks/feuds going on at the same time - only a few of them have to stick for it to be worthwhile. This "all eggs in one basket" and "ratings down? bring in the vets!" booking has got to stop.

Also, bring in Pat Patterson to book the Rumble PLEASE!!!!

- RAF

p.s. - I admit I would like to see Funk, Lawler and/or Austin do a heavily gimmicked match or two...

• Like 2

We can't have "good things" without bad, dammit!

Sasha Banks is reportedly out of action with an undisclosed injury. Her last match came on the December 28th WWE RAW, a win over Becky Lynch.

Rumors of increased call volumes to depression hotlines as yet unconfirmed.

I think there's also some distinctions to be made with fantasy booking. There's "Here's what I would've booked" fantasy booking, there's "Here's what should be booked" fantasy booking, there's "If ___ happened __ years ago, then ___" fantasy booking, and then there's the kind that ends with the Stud Stable (If you're Ben) or Rhyno (if you're me).

My problem with fantasy booking is that the speculation is almost always far more interesting than what they actually do.  People are fantasy booking Nakamura by Daniel Bryan and we're more likely to get Kane vs. the returning Mr. Kennedy.

My problem with fantasy booking is that nerds end up getting mad that WWE didn't follow their 8 months of programming that is completely unreasonable and shitty, and then complain about it for the next few weeks once it is clear WWE is doing something completely different.

• Like 1

My main issue is that it makes for uninteresting reading. I love this board guys, I read it while I snack. Most of the time it makes for good reading but as soon as it gets into fantasy booking I scroll looking for the actual discussion.

• Like 3