DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What about that Jake Roberts video, huh?  Yeah. . . .

:mellow:

Between that video showing what Jake Roberts wanted to do to Bray Wyatt, and the frequent comments by Scott Hall regarding the things he wants to do to Paige, we can pretty much surmise that DDPYoga can cure any wrestler- regardless of how far gone they were- from all of their addictions...but at the cost of them becoming a depraved, lecherous old man.

...so, pretty much what everyone who saw Diamond Dallas Page secretly expected.

• Like 1

For all the talk of the current WWE focus being an attempt at expanding their audience beyond the core faithful, according to Meltzer the current ratings demographic breakdowns show that they are heavily skewed towards drawing in male viewers aged 50-54, with the overall gender split being about 71% male and 29% female.

Interesting. So are these guys who were 35-40 in the 90s-00s and 15-20 during Hulkamania, or are these guys that have somehow, some way been drawn in recently? I mean I can't imagine they're making "new" fans in that age group. My dad is in that demo but the only way I see him stopping on Raw is if there's a Diva match, Taker segment, or they trot out the NWO or DX once a year

For all the talk of the current WWE focus being an attempt at expanding their audience beyond the core faithful, according to Meltzer the current ratings demographic breakdowns show that they are heavily skewed towards drawing in male viewers aged 50-54, with the overall gender split being about 71% male and 29% female.

It's not surprising. What on this show could any kid either connect with or find cool? New Day is like the only thing that's remotely modern on the show and they're still being forced into a heel role because nobody has a clue.

Part of the problem now with this is the crowd.  If anyone starts to get over, fans tend to demand they get pushed near the top instead of just being a solid, over midcard act.  I think Sandow was the last guy to get really over who the fans would have been happy to keep in the midcard, then Hogan happened.

I'd say the bigger problem is the people at the top aren't over. Of course people are going to want the over guys to move up the card when they don't care about the people who are positioned at the top. No one was clamoring for the New Age Outlaws or Crash Holly to be pushed over Austin or The Rock.

People weren't as unanimous of their love of Austin/Rock as one might think in hindsight.  A lot of folks on the IWC were pretty tired of Austin/Rock and clamoring for other people to be on top (Jericho, Benoit etc.).  JR's non-stop praise of Austin, even during matches that had nothing to do with him, were pretty off-putting.  And Rock was often viewed as a guy who dominated his opponents on the mic and never let them get the better of him.  Maybe an undeserved rap, but it's the way things often were.

Something tells me Billy Gunn will not argue with you on this point.

Interested to start the debate before Star Wars comes out.

Is Disney buying out the company from under the McMahons the best hope for the WWE at this point?

Would it even be possible without Vince's agreement? I thought WWE did that Class A/Class B shit that kept most of the voting power in his family's hands.

Yes, the stock classification created the McMahon family trust where one of those stocks has 10x more voting power than regular stocks.  And IIRC, Vince owns over 80% of those stocks.  I assume the rest are owned by Linda, Stephanie, possibly Shane, and maybe they give a few to the grandkids as birthday gifts every year.

They're better as heels. As delusional chickenshit heels, they can do whatever the hell they want in the name of riling the crowd up. As babyfaces, they'd be neutered twits "having fun with the WWE universe".

I agree completely but they're over so they'll try and put a stop to that soon, probably.

I kinda think whilst its not hostile takeover possible for the reasons listed, I think they'd be able to put themselves in a negotiating position to offer ridiculous levels of Fuck You money that not only is hard to say no to, but also eliminates some issues in that they only have to listen to one voice as opposed to the stockholders and USA.

A situation where Trips and Steph stay on to run the product also doesn't sound crazy. I think if Star Wars doesn't shit the bed and brings in what would be expected, that would be one of their next targets.