DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Fall 2015

Pete

Holy Shit, just... wow. Funny thing is he just ensured they become sought after collectables and the company probably will sell out of them in short order.

Also poor poor Celtic

Ended up buying tickets for the Barcelona-Eibar match this coming weekend - thanks for that extra push because I think I would have ended up regretting it forever if I hadn't. "Splurged" for 84 Euro tickets but there really weren't many in the 39 price range and it jumped pretty steeply from there.

• Like 1

Not a bad performance per se yesterday, but I expected a bit more against Rubin Kazan. They were a plucky team though and had a few good chances. I think the honeymoon period of Klopp's appointment could go sour quite quickly though if he doesn't win a game. But it's all about taking the time to develop a team. Look at Man Utd, they were going to sack Fergie if they lost in the FA Cup against Palace in 1990 (IIRC) and their whole history could have been wiped out if Sir Alex wasn't in the hotseat. So I think Jurgen has to be given time to work his magic. It could take 6 months, a year, even 2 but once his system is in place and integrated within the whole team I think it'll pay dividends. 

Coutinho is a prototypical playmaker.

True, but he can be wasteful with the ball when he takes chances for himself. I was thinking more of a Xavi or a Iniesta type who's feeding the front man or front men all the time with intricate passes. A playmaker more so for the benefit of the team or maybe one capable enough of making their own chances and finishing them too. Coutinho is a top quality player though just needs to work on his technique & finishing a little. Shame Jurgen Klopp doesn't have a fully fit team to work with then they'd have hit the ground running. 

West Ham beats Chelsea. I can't wait for Mourinho's press conference.

Hope you weren't holding your breath.  The Petulant One refused to speak to the media, and indeed forbade his coaching staff from going in his place.

He's getting the axe sooner rather than later.  Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow.

• Like 1

West Ham beats Chelsea. I can't wait for Mourinho's press conference.

Hope you weren't holding your breath.  The Petulant One refused to speak to the media, and indeed forbade his coaching staff from going in his place.

He's getting the axe sooner rather than later.  Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow.

Yep.

Sunderland go 6-0 today winning the last six derby games against Newcastle United.

The results under Jurgen Klopp so far have been what I have been expecting from a realist perspective. On a plus side, they could have been worse under Rodgers when you consider how the team was performing then. Southampton are a very well organised team and have some under the radar type players who are very good & they are probably one of the better teams in the Prem at the moment so a draw isn't so bad. But and I said this in my other post after the Europa league game, if he doesn't start to win soon the massive sense of optimism will turn into bitter disappointment & they'll be posts on forums like 'We shoulda went with Rafa again or with Ancelotti". What also should be considered is that he doesn't have a fully fit Benteke and these are the other injuries

On the plus side 1 week for Sturridge's return is very good news & 4 weeks for Hendo is promising too, but the Gomez & Ings injuries will take a lot longer to come back from I'm guessing as they are both ACL Knee injuries. So once he gets some key players back and the system is more in place than I think the Reds will turn it around. Klopp's a top level manager and I still think he's the right guy for the job. But I think the over optimism (and I was drawn into it too) could be costly in terms of fans over expecting what he can achieve. A good run in the cup(s) this season would be a good sign of improvement and a top 6 finish at best you can realistically hope for. But I also think the Liverpool powers that be will be very scrutinising over Klopp's reign and if he falls too far away from the pack and he loses games with the fans turning against him they'll have no qualms in firing him. So really he has to turn it around sooner rather than later, the first 3 performances have been good and considering the injury issues and such. Liverpool were a bit unlucky today I thought and the conceding goal was very scrappy so if they tighten up at the back, get Coutinho to play the ball better and not be as wasteful (he had quite a lot of wasted chances today) and have a fully fit Benteke & Sturridge up front they'll no doubt starting winning games and more important now is scoring goals. Liverpool's strength has always been their pass and move style of play & attacking football and once Jurgen gets everyone playing the right way I think it'll be a start of a long run of success.  

I was a bit concerned when a few people on RAWK posted that we'd break into the top 4 with Klop this season. The Klopptimism hasn't waned a bit and I was still largely impressed with the team's organization and you can see early signs of the high press but it's going to take another month or two to see more of it. I wasn't expecting any instant turnaround but that awful feeling of not being surprised with poor results is gone, and more importantly there wasn't a tiny bit of me being fine with them as it meant the team would make the change necessary for long-term improvement. We've made it and now it's just time for balancing patience and excitement.

That Benteke header was a thing of beauty. Lallana doesn't really do anything of note and I wish we had Markovich. Long-term, Lazar will be a key figure for Klopp. So much pace and energy. Just like Moreno (beautiful tackle!).

Now is just about the perfect time to play Chelsea. Gawd, if we could nick a win at the Bridge in front of the plazzies, it may be the final nail in Jose's coffin.

Another thing, Charro. You were right about Coutinho. Ever since he's been banging in the odd long-range screamer, he's gotten more and more selfish and wasteful with the ball. I hope he can find a better balance for creating and taking opportunities and soon.

Don't think Liverpool's squad is all that bad. They could use a better partner for Sakho, an upgrade in net, and a winger but the spine is pretty good with Sturridge/Benteke, Coutinho, Can/Hendo/Milner, and Sakho down the middle. Clyne's been a bit of a disappointment with his passing and Moreno is a project but I think the squad, when firing, should finish fifth. 

Liverpool fifth? Who've you got in the top four?

Another thing, Charro. You were right about Coutinho. Ever since he's been banging in the odd long-range screamer, he's gotten more and more selfish and wasteful with the ball. I hope he can find a better balance for creating and taking opportunities and soon.

Skinny Charlie Adam, he's just a skinny Charlie Adam.