DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

I despise Kevin Dunn as much as the next sane wrestling fan, but Kevin Owens really needs to know his audience here. He's working for Vince McMahon, who has long been known to have an unquenchable thirst for bodybuilders. Owens' ring gear screams "backyard trampoline wrestler" and he's gotten noticeably fatter since coming to the main roster.

He was no GQ model in NXT, but he was in much better shape and had considerably more muscle definition. It's hard for me to blame WWE for not wanting to put a guy like that in a top spot. He doesn't have the "larger than life" feel that Vince is always looking for.

• Like 1

It also does Owens no favors putting him in the ring with Orton and Cesaro who really make him look even fatter and shorter than he is. I couldn't believe how out of place he looked during that Orton match a few weeks ago, it was crazy.

If Owens is over and the crowd is responding to him I don't see what the problem is. 

If you're in a bar, the person who is looking to fight is not a John Cena lookalike. It's usually some big burly loudmouth with a chip on his shoulder. 

• Like 1

I despise Kevin Dunn as much as the next sane wrestling fan, but Kevin Owens really needs to know his audience here. He's working for Vince McMahon, who has long been known to have an unquenchable thirst for bodybuilders. Owens' ring gear screams "backyard trampoline wrestler" and he's gotten noticeably fatter since coming to the main roster.

He was no GQ model in NXT, but he was in much better shape and had considerably more muscle definition. It's hard for me to blame WWE for not wanting to put a guy like that in a top spot. He doesn't have the "larger than life" feel that Vince is always looking for.

Like Yokozuna?

IWA-MS AND CZW made it to CNN. Yup...shit just got weird...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/06/us/cnnphotos-hardcore-wrestling-death-matches/index.html

LOL, a mainstream news website does a piece writing about deathmatch wrestling from the viewpoint of it being a serious artform, but the only guy interviewed and profiled in the article is a fucking photographer.

• Like 1

IWA-MS AND CZW made it to CNN. Yup...shit just got weird...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/06/us/cnnphotos-hardcore-wrestling-death-matches/index.html

LOL, a mainstream news website does a piece writing about deathmatch wrestling from the viewpoint of it being a serious artform, but the only guy interviewed and profiled in the article is a fucking photographer.

Considering that the piece is about the idea that it's an art form, it would make sense that the person attempting to convey that message is the photographer.

Ryback is a welcome addition back onto Raw, Ziggler on the other hand, I hope Rusev CRUSHES him outta of the WWE soon, either because ziggler doesn't re-sign (I haven't heard whats up with his contract situation) or just by actually crushing him. Ziggler is sooooo stale and not stale character like Sheamus or Orton who I still enjoy watching in the ring but stale in that I don't want to watch him on tv anymore.

Unfortunately he re-signed. I don't want to hear one more stupid promo from him complaining about his push. Well actually I don't want to hear a Dolph Ziggler promo period but especially not one another 'boo hoo I'm not a main eventer' promo.

And since Rippa posted this I also want to share this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExLwLpTFmSY

I like KO, but I agree that his gear reeks of "backyard wrestler". On an old shoot interview, Bobby Heenan wisely said that the workers need to stand out from the people in the crowd, and wear gear that makes them look like a wrestler. Owens doesn't. 

I like KO, but I agree that his gear reeks of "backyard wrestler". On an old shoot interview, Bobby Heenan wisely said that the workers need to stand out from the people in the crowd, and wear gear that makes them look like a wrestler. Owens doesn't. 

I think times have changed now, though.  We used to talk about how fans could live vicariously through Austin because everyone had a dickhead boss they hated. Plus, Austin drove a pickup and drank beer. He talked shit. 

In 2015..  Owens is relatable.  He's a wrestling fan who dresses like a wrestling fan and cuts promos that sometimes sound like messageboard arguments.

• Like 3

Wrestling needs more fat dudes with farmer's tans, IMO. Also more slobs like Ballz Mahoney. Also more goofy-looking skinny dudes like Greg Gagne. Also more people in facepaint, and the Ascension does not count, either. Sick of the roid-monster build being the only build acceptable. 

• Like 3