DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

Putting Rousey and Conor McGregor on the same card in December in Arlington, Texas is a no brainer IMO if the goal is to sell close to 100,000 tickets for UFC. Adding a strong, Hispanic element to the show is needed too. Nonetheless I'd be willing to wager that WWE will still have more people in the stadium in April that UFC will in December no matter the card for UFC.

get the fuck outta here, JR. That's just non-sense, and I don't even like UFC all that much.

Isn't this one of those things were UFC has the advantage cause they arnt going to have a huge stage like WWE would?

I don't know.  But if that last Conor fight was any indication there will be a ton of folks from Ireland/UK going there.  Same applies to Brazilians going for one of their top guys.  But I would imagine WWE would still have the advantage because they get people from many countries for WM.

I don't know.  But if that last Conor fight was any indication there will be a ton of folks from Ireland/UK going there.  Same applies to Brazilians going for one of their top guys.  But I would imagine WWE would still have the advantage because they get people from many countries for WM.

Going to Vegas is different than going to Dallas,

In a moment that is impossibly relevant to my interests, WWE Hall of Famer Kevin Nash interfered in the Miami Marlins’ mascot race on “Legends of Wrestling” night, delivering a big boot to Julio the Octopus. Julio then goes into business for himself by no-selling the boot, although he still finishes last. I never thought I’d type this sentence, but I very much enjoyed watching an anthropomorphic sea creature bury Kevin Nash’s offense during a baseball game.

Followup questions include:

1. Are the interns that get crammed into those suits not allowed to get them dirty? Is that why he didn’t bump?

2. By no-selling the boot, has Julio earned himself an nWo beatdown and spray painting?

3. What did Julio do to earn the big boot? Are Bob the Shark, Angel the Stone Crab and Spike the Sea Dragon aligned with Nash? If so, when did this happen?

4. Does Kevin Nash realize that he’s a less effective WWE saboteur of baseball game mascot races than the Easter Bunny?

5. How many quads does an octopus have, and if so, how many were torn here?

We wish Julio the Octopus the best of luck in his future endeavors.

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/08/kevin-nash-mascot-video/

I was thinking about recent passings in the wrestling world, and it occurred to me that four of Hogan's six opponents from the first half-dozen WrestleManias are now deceased.

Also, the two men who had the most valid claim to "ending" Hulkamania during the 90s - Earthquake and Yoko.

This all got me thinking -- Who would you rank as Hogan's five most iconic rivals/opponents? I figure Savage and Piper have to be there for how long-running they were; Andre for the iconic status of the pair facing off. After that, I think a case could be made for Flair, since they had that the natural cross-promotional thing going on and feuded in both WCW and the WWF. The fifth spot is the trickiest for me, because I feel like it probably should go to Sting by virtue of the nWo storyline... but that was so bungled it just feels wrong.

(And of course we'll have to leave Gawker out of this since we haven't seen the blow-off yet.)

In a moment that is impossibly relevant to my interests, WWE Hall of Famer Kevin Nash interfered in the Miami Marlins’ mascot race on “Legends of Wrestling” night, delivering a big boot to Julio the Octopus. Julio then goes into business for himself by no-selling the boot, although he still finishes last. I never thought I’d type this sentence, but I very much enjoyed watching an anthropomorphic sea creature bury Kevin Nash’s offense during a baseball game.

Followup questions include:

1. Are the interns that get crammed into those suits not allowed to get them dirty? Is that why he didn’t bump?

2. By no-selling the boot, has Julio earned himself an nWo beatdown and spray painting?

3. What did Julio do to earn the big boot? Are Bob the Shark, Angel the Stone Crab and Spike the Sea Dragon aligned with Nash? If so, when did this happen?

4. Does Kevin Nash realize that he’s a less effective WWE saboteur of baseball game mascot races than the Easter Bunny?

5. How many quads does an octopus have, and if so, how many were torn here?

We wish Julio the Octopus the best of luck in his future endeavors.

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/08/kevin-nash-mascot-video/

This was so painfully unfunny that I got mad at you. Then I realized that Stroud wrote it and I stopped hating you.

• Like 1

I was thinking about recent passings in the wrestling world, and it occurred to me that four of Hogan's six opponents from the first half-dozen WrestleManias are now deceased.

Also, the two men who had the most valid claim to "ending" Hulkamania during the 90s - Earthquake and Yoko.

This all got me thinking -- Who would you rank as Hogan's five most iconic rivals/opponents? I figure Savage and Piper have to be there for how long-running they were; Andre for the iconic status of the pair facing off. After that, I think a case could be made for Flair, since they had that the natural cross-promotional thing going on and feuded in both WCW and the WWF. The fifth spot is the trickiest for me, because I feel like it probably should go to Sting by virtue of the nWo storyline... but that was so bungled it just feels wrong.

(And of course we'll have to leave Gawker out of this since we haven't seen the blow-off yet.)

If WM 3 is enough to get Andre on the list (and it is), I'd argue WM 18 gets Rock in the fifth slot over Sting. Starrcade leaves such a bad taste in my mouth it colors the whole awesome build in retrospect.

Mr. Wonderful, maybe?

I think Orndorff has to be on the list. The Big Event was one of the highest attended shows of the 80s and their SNME match one of the most watched. That's not even including WM I, which was definitely centred more on Hogan/Piper. Orndorff turning on Hogan was just a step below Andre turning on him, as far as shock goes.

My list (in no particular order) would be Piper/Savage/Orndorff/Andre/Flair. Booking meant that Sting/Hogan was never going to be just about Sting and Hogan. Bockwinkle would be a fun pick, but he wasn't quite Hulk Hogan yet. I haven't seen enough of his Japan stuff to really comment there.