DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao (5/2/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Looks like I will be watching the fight when it reairs after the Canelo fight on HBO.

I wonder when Showtime will rebroadcast the fight?

IIRC Same night as when it comes on HBO for Canelo/Kirkland. So I'm guessing it will be a simulcast.

I don't see this result being any different if they'd fought five years ago. Probably closer, but that's it. Mayweather is just a better boxer than Manny, which isn't an insult, because he's the best of his generation, and maybe ever.

Of his generation? Sure. Ever? Nah. He's too small for Welterweight. What would happen if Welterweight Mayweather fought Welterweight Ray Leonard*? Or Welterweight Tommy Hearns? Or Roberto Duran?

* Probably the same thing that did happen when Mayweather Sr. fought Sugar Ray, come to think.

It's all subjective and ultimately pointless anyway. That era of Leonard, Duran, Hagler, and Hearns was where dudes were on everything on the sun and weren't tested at all. Every era has different variables and circumstances. Today's era is blood doping and EPO and trying to beat stricter testing.

• Like 2

I don't see this result being any different if they'd fought five years ago. Probably closer, but that's it. Mayweather is just a better boxer than Manny, which isn't an insult, because he's the best of his generation, and maybe ever.

Of his generation? Sure. Ever? Nah. He's too small for Welterweight. What would happen if Welterweight Mayweather fought Welterweight Ray Leonard*? Or Welterweight Tommy Hearns? Or Roberto Duran?

* Probably the same thing that did happen when Mayweather Sr. fought Sugar Ray, come to think.

Mayweather beats Duran.  Hearns and his power, speed, boxing ability and height advantages would be too tough to deal with IMO.  Leonard would be the most interesting one.

So, if Mayweather wins his next fight, he ties the record with Rocky Marciano. So, why retire after that? Wouldn't you want to be the guy that breaks that record?

So, if Mayweather wins his next fight, he ties the record with Rocky Marciano. So, why retire after that? Wouldn't you want to be the guy that breaks that record?

COnsidering Chavez got to 87-0 before he "drew" with Whittaker and Nino Benvenuti got to 65-0 before he lost dont know what kind of record Floyd would be going for.

• Like 1

I saw that graphic that ESPN used with Marciano and Floyd. I was like, "Are we living in this alternate dimension where Finito Lopez doesn't exist?"

• Like 1

Well, if he retired at 50-0, it would be a record of sorts. Kinda like throwing a no hitter through nine only to have the game go to extra innings, I guess.

If anyone saw the last episode of Inside Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, I don't think he cares about that at all. This guy wrote a letter to his entourage and made it sound like they better start sending in their resumes real soon. He also very much downplayed the undefeated thing during the last couple days of press before the fight. He is already mentally checked out.

Yea I mean to paraphrase he said in the post-fight interview that he doesn't even like the sport of boxing anymore.  Honestly this next fight may be his toughest only because his career in terms of 'big matches' just peaked, I imagine it must be hard to get motivated to train hard every day when you don't enjoy the sport you're in and are going into a smaller fight.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure he will win his next fight, just saying the mental game may be harder for him than usual if he has already checked out.

I saw that graphic that ESPN used with Marciano and Floyd. I was like, "Are we living in this alternate dimension where Finito Lopez doesn't exist?"

A better question: Are you living in one where draws count as wins? :)

A better question: Are you living in one where draws count as wins? :)

Undefeated is undefeated.

So ... now, does Mayweather live up to his word & bail out Suge Knight? It was that claim that made me think that Floyd wasn't sure himself if he'd win. That's 10mil for that fat truckin' fuck!

So ... now, does Mayweather live up to his word & bail out Suge Knight? It was that claim that made me think that Floyd wasn't sure himself if he'd win. That's 10mil for that fat truckin' fuck!

He didn't make that promise.

So everyone I've talked to about this fight keeps saying that Floyd ran the whole time, but they can't answer the question..."Why the fuck would he just stand there and get punched in the face?"

So everyone I've talked to about this fight keeps saying that Floyd ran the whole time, but they can't answer the question..."Why the fuck would he just stand there and get punched in the face?"

Because they haven't watched a Floyd fight that wasn't Phillip Ndou, Arturo Gatti, Chico Corrales, or Henry Bruseles.

Or they've never seen a Floyd fight at all.

One or the other.

How good was Joe Calzaghe? Retired at 46-0. I only saw his last couple fights.

His resume prior to coming to the states during that final run is very suspect. I really don't remember most of his run prior to Jeff Lacy.

Because they haven't watched a Floyd fight that wasn't Phillip Ndou, Arturo Gatti, Chico Corrales, or Henry Bruseles.

Or they've never seen a Floyd fight at all.

One or the other.

And they somehow try to apply the rules of street fighting to boxing. I imagine that punching and moving quickly to avoid being punched is a pretty legit strategy. I'm just a casual fan but it seems like everyone just wants to say "FLOYD'S A PUNK!" and not think critically about his strategy.