DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao (5/2/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Who does Floyd face in September?

Pacquiao says Floyd did "nothing", lol.

It would be Amir Khan but he says he won't be at full strength because of Ramadan. We'll see. I'm expecting Cotto though.

Yep boxing is dead

I don't see it. They didn't gain any new fans and most casual viewers will probably swear to never watch another fight but that is pretty meaningless. The only thing that would have brought in those people was a Pacquiao KO and even then the hype train would only last a few fights before those fans disappeared again.

5-10 years from now there will be another massive promotion to draw in casual fans and it will work again. For now it's back to the core audience. That's how I see it anyway.

Fight was okay. It's funny that after all the hype and everything surrounding it everyone expected a fairly easy win for Mayweather via UD and that's exactly what happens. No need for a rematch. Manny is not the same Manny whether it's age or the weight class or Mayweather's defense or a combination... it really doesn't matter. 

I wouldn't watch a fight with Khan. Maybe you could talk me into watching a rematch with Cotto but probably not. I'd rather see a fight with Thurman. Is that possible?  I don't know.

Fight was okay. It's funny that after all the hype and everything surrounding it everyone expected a fairly easy win for Mayweather via UD and that's exactly what happens. No need for a rematch. Manny is not the same Manny whether it's age or the weight class or Mayweather's defense or a combination... it really doesn't matter. 

I wouldn't watch a fight with Khan. Maybe you could talk me into watching a rematch with Cotto but probably not. I'd rather see a fight with Thurman. Is that possible?  I don't know.

Thurman is probably set to be the future of PBC broadcasts. He is staying undefeated and picking up any belts Floyd vacates. Plus, I believe he might be fighting Shawn Porter next in June.

And just like that, Floyd announces in the post fight presser that he will be vacating his titles at welterweight and super welterweight on Monday.

I don't know why anyone (not here, but in real life and elsewhere) was surprised by this.

I don't see this result being any different if they'd fought five years ago. Probably closer, but that's it. Mayweather is just a better boxer than Manny, which isn't an insult, because he's the best of his generation, and maybe ever.

Maybe young Manny could have overwhelmed Mayweather with punches, but when your response is to bitch (I didn't see the interview, so I'm not sure how he said it) that your opponent moved to much, you're basically admitting you had nothing for him.

I'm a casual fan but I do have a question.

My Facebook feed is filled with people saying "LOL MAYWEATHER RAN AWAY, HE SUX." Is hitting and trying to evade your opponent NOT a valid strategy? 

People are dumb.

My only surprise take-away was Manny's lack of aggression when he had Floyd in the corner. He would throw a 3-4 punch combination before backing up and letting Mayweather out.

It's no wonder Manny hasn't been able to knock anybody out in 5+ years. He was best fighting at around 122-130 pounds and now he's all the way up to 145. He's moved up way too much to be able to keep his incredible (relative) power. His legacy should be built around the fact he moved up and won championships in 8 weight classes. That's incredible and he's a freak. I feel like going back and watching his fights with Juanma and Morales.

Floyd threw more punches, landed a significantly higher percentage of those punches, and landed a significantly higher percentage of power punches. That's not running away, it's moving and striking.

• Like 1

Manny has made that complaint before though. He said something similar about JMM.  If he can't exchange and overwhelm you, then he gets frustrated.  I'm curious to know how much the shoulder injury kept him from letting his hands go, because I've never seen Manny fight so cautious.

• Like 1

In round three, when Manny was just sort of following Floyd, I actually said out loud 'what is your plan?' It really seemed like he came in to the fight without a clear idea of how he was going to try and beat Floyd. Granted there really wasn't a weakness to exploit, but don't just wander.

It will never ever happen, but man Floyd going for 49-0 vs GGG would be amazing. I think the more likely scenario is Golovkin knocking out a done Manny, Floyd winning against someone and retiring, and Golovkin having no one to fight. Because boxing.