DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao (5/2/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

It makes even less sense when you look at the numbers and they were throwing about the same amount of punches throughout the fight. Pac needed to be MUCH more active than Floyd and he just wasn't at all. He couldn't get close enough most of the time.  Floyd controlled pretty much the entire fight outside of a couple little flurries.

Well, Mayweather's boxing is a very European style, and the mainstream American sports fan who doesn't follow boxing but will watch the super-big fights, is on some level expecting them to be like something out of a Rocky movie. And is disappointed when they aren't those crazy slugfests with KO finishes.

The thing with high level technicians in just about any sport is, it takes an educated eye to appreciate the subtlety. And Mayweather's very good at drawing uneducated eyes...

It's about his style. It's not about the other guy when all of his fights look the same. I cant tell you how many people I know paid money to order that fight who don't normally get boxing ppvs that ended up saying they'd never order another boxing ppv. Nobody is denying he's gifted. He's just fucking boring and not worth my dollar. And I'm perfectly fine watching grappling and wrestling matches. I'm far from being "just bleed" guy. It's the impression that he's doing his best to avoid damage while not risking himself for the sole purpose of winning points on a scorecard. That's why people don't like him. It's not a lack of appreciation of his skill. I appreciate the skill that goes into meticulously caring for a lawn. But I'm not going to pay to watch someone do it.

• Like 1

It's about his style. It's not about the other guy when all of his fights look the same. I cant tell you how many people I know paid money to order that fight who don't normally get boxing ppvs that ended up saying they'd never order another boxing ppv. Nobody is denying he's gifted. He's just fucking boring and not worth my dollar. And I'm perfectly fine watching grappling and wrestling matches. I'm far from being "just bleed" guy. It's the impression that he's doing his best to avoid damage while not risking himself for the sole purpose of winning points on a scorecard. That's why people don't like him. It's not a lack of appreciation of his skill. I appreciate the skill that goes into meticulously caring for a lawn. But I'm not going to pay to watch someone do it.

This isn't really about people who choose not to watch him or which style is more entertaining. It's about people who just kinda jump in and out of watching. It is like the people complaining about Wladimir Klitschko and still watch every one of his notable fights. If you saw the Sultan Ibragimov fight, why would you EVER tune in to see the Jennings fight? Nothing has changed except the skin color of the guy being brought in to lose to him. Yet, a ton of people tuned into that fight moreso than most of the action fighters that have been on HBO. Are you not picking up the pattern or are you oblivious to the sport you're watching? It's either/or.  Somebody is lying about not tuning in again based on the ratings and buyrates. The responses and feedback afterwards are still the same. Stop watching and/or paying for it.

So ... now, does Mayweather live up to his word & bail out Suge Knight? It was that claim that made me think that Floyd wasn't sure himself if he'd win. That's 10mil for that fat truckin' fuck!

He didn't make that promise.

Bummer.

Since this thread was mainly for discussion during the live event, I've moved all the (recent) random stuff to the appropriate thread. Anything left pertaining specifically to the fight and/or event (buyrate, gate, news., etc.) can still be posted here. Everything else goes in the Random Boxing Thoughts thread.