DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Sleepy Hollow is Burton at his best. Him and Depp before him and Depp became annoying, gorgeous cinematography and visuals and there's just the right level of camp.

Also, Ricci gets overlooked but considering how annoying Katia Winter's version of Katrina Crane is on the TV show, she probably deserves a lot of credit for doing the best she could a rather thin character.

Oh yes! I remember watching this mostly because I had the hugest crush on Ray Park for the longest time. What is he doing these days?

He doesn't do much acting anymore because he's discovered the wonderful world of mocap, stunts, and fight coordination which offers steady work.  He's signed up for the next GI Joe movie, also, naturally playing Snake Eyes.

Burton working with Depp was good at first. Just like Burton working with Helena Bonham Carter was.

But he kept putting them in EVERYTHING and it got annoying.

Scorsese/DiCaprio take note.

• Like 1

Is Scorsese/DiCaprio our version of Ford/Wayne? They're certainly better collaborators than Depp/Burton, and while it might not be Scorsese's best work, it's probably DiCaprio's. I'm not sure Soderbergh/Clooney can compete.

Maybe this needs its own thread...

Thurman/Tarantino is the best example.

At best, she is an OKish actress. But whenever she works with him, she comes off as the most amazing and compelling female star ever.  Arguably, she also helps give his fanboyish shallow work (at least on Kill Bill) a depth it sometimes doesn't have.

And they don't over do it and work together on every single film ever. 

I like to think that the whole Burton/Depp thing went bad as karma for the press junket revolving around Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where they felt the need to repeatedly badmouth the 70's version until even Gene Wilder came out of reclusion to say, "Um, guys, do you think you can promote your film without shitting on mine?"

I was never a big fan of Sleepy Hollow either (but I LOVE Big Fish and Ed Wood, and like quite a few other things Burton has done) but that might just because of how little it has in common with, you know, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

• Like 1

I didn't like Batman & Robin at all, but it was just a bad film.  Had nothing to do with the tone, really. 

Aside from Jim Carrey being dressed as The Riddler yet acting like The Joker, I thought that Batman Forever was a perfectly fine popcorn muncher.

I am not a big fan of Batman Returns because it has far too much of Burton's signature gothic crap than it needed. 

It was an homage to Frank Gorshin, I think. At least that would be his excuse. . . 

I don't think I could live in a world where penguins with rocket launchers are a bad idea.

"Evil Penguins with rocket launchers~!" are still one of the best movie ideas ever.

Think how much better the Nolan films would been if they'd have given Pingu an AK47 and sent him after Batman. 

Because John Ford is the best, you can also add Henry Fonda, his muse before Wayne. Grapes of Wrath, My Darling Clementine, Drums Along the Mohawk, Young Mr. Lincoln and especially Fort Motherfucking Apache (with Wayne as well) were all absolutely fantastic.

It helps that he has over 130 credits and worked for 60 years or so, but Ford has lots of fantastic multiple collabs with some great actors. Will Rogers, Victor Mclaglen, George OBrien, Maureen OHara and pretty much the best recurring supporting cast, led by Ward Bond. I'm less familiar with his silent serials, but a lot of what I read praises the heck out of his work with Harry Carey.

I re-watched all of the following this week

-Kicking and Screaming: The Will Ferrell family soccer comedy one.  It's funny.  Mike Ditka steals the show every time he's on.

-The Place Beyond the Pines: I really feel like the first part (with Gosling) and the third part (with the kids) are really the superior parts.  Like, Bradley Cooper does a good job in the middle, but it feels like the story's a little flat.  I seem to be the only one, but I thought Emory Cohen kind of stole every scene he was in.

-Best in Show: I actually watched this one twice, this week.  Watched it once with my mom, then, in discussion with my siblings for Easter, decided to watch it again three days later.  Such a perfect mockumentary.  Somehow, after seeing this 10+ times, I only figured out this time that Fred Willard had had an affair with Catherine O'Hara's character.

-Guardians of the Galaxy: Such a good movie.  Just the perfect balance between humor/wackiness and action/superheroedness.

• Like 2

Herzog/Kinski.

Kinski was a pretty useless tit without Herzog.

There are a ton of Krimis/Spaghetti Westerns that beg to differ. Not that I would put many of them above that collaboration, but Klaus did plenty of good things that didn't include Werner.