DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

BRUCE WILLIS WAS REALLY A GHOST THE WHOLE TIME!

Since we're using spoiler tags on movies that have been out for 15 years

What? He was a ghost in Unbreakable?????

He's ALWAYS a ghost

This makes HUDSON HAWK work so much better.

• Like 1

So I went and saw "It Follows" last night after hearing a lot of hype for it and seeing it was playing at the theatre next to my work. It was....fine? Better than fine? It's hard to say. Talking to my partner after I said something like "It's very much a horror film and not so much a horror movie" and I think that distinction is important. The director is very clearly at the top of his craft and constructs scenes in a riveting a poetic way. It's like Ice Storm era Ang Lee made a horror movie. I also loved the call backs to the "kids are on their own" genre that I grew up with. I thought about Stand By Me, Monster Squad and the Goonies at various points all throughout.

I will say that film is not without issues though. I think it's sort of problematic that a movie that is very clearly set in Detroit and the suburbs just outside of it has no black people in it. Granted, the cast is small and the movie is supposed to feel insular, but it was quite bizarre. Maybe the college professor was black? Still, odd.

Also, I had a good laugh during the film because so many reviews talk about how the film takes place "out of time" and that all of the set dressing and cars and costumes are intentionally pulling the viewer in to different visual decades. As I'm watching, I thought of those reviews and realized that they must have been written by people who have never lived in the midwest, because I think they basically nailed modern day Detroit and Cleveland. I know it must come as a shock, but people here still have old glass screen TVs, couches with plastic on them and American cars from the early 90s.  

• Like 1

He's ALWAYS a ghost

Bruce Willis is the caretaker. He's always been the caretaker.

He's ALWAYS a ghost

Bruce Willis is the caretaker. He's always been the caretaker.

The Fifth Element is love

So I went and saw "It Follows" last night after hearing a lot of hype for it and seeing it was playing at the theatre next to my work. It was....fine? Better than fine? It's hard to say. Talking to my partner after I said something like "It's very much a horror film and not so much a horror movie" and I think that distinction is important. The director is very clearly at the top of his craft and constructs scenes in a riveting a poetic way. It's like Ice Storm era Ang Lee made a horror movie. I also loved the call backs to the "kids are on their own" genre that I grew up with. I thought about Stand By Me, Monster Squad and the Goonies at various points all throughout.

I will say that film is not without issues though. I think it's sort of problematic that a movie that is very clearly set in Detroit and the suburbs just outside of it has no black people in it. Granted, the cast is small and the movie is supposed to feel insular, but it was quite bizarre. Maybe the college professor was black? Still, odd.

Also, I had a good laugh during the film because so many reviews talk about how the film takes place "out of time" and that all of the set dressing and cars and costumes are intentionally pulling the viewer in to different visual decades. As I'm watching, I thought of those reviews and realized that they must have been written by people who have never lived in the midwest, because I think they basically nailed modern day Detroit and Cleveland. I know it must come as a shock, but people here still have old glass screen TVs, couches with plastic on them and American cars from the early 90s.

I liked it a lot. Its not great; it is a bit too arty for arty-ness's sake, and its own logic didn't make a ton of sense.it was cool, though. I liked the whole tortoise and the hare aesthetic of the "it," and I was thrilled that some of the ideas I came up with were actually the same ideas the kids came up with too.

Also liked that her friends went along with it instead of doing the usual horror thing and being extremely dense.

I liked it. Not sure if it deserves the crazy hype, but its better than the usual stupid horror crap we get.

I haven't seen "It Follows" yet but having heard about it...

Is "Sex is dangerous and can lead to bad consequences if you are not careful" a hugely new theme in horror flicks?

Like, I think people already know that, surely?

It's the fundamental theme that at least half the genre is based on.

Yeah, but I preferred it when it was just "You have sex in the cabin in the woods and a guy in a hockey mask shows up and murders you" rather than getting all arty and pretentious about it.

I probably will check out the movie though.

I thought Compliance was an utterly ridiculous movie. 'Yeah, like people are stupid enough to fall for that!' And then I looked it up, and it actually did happen like that in real life. I... don't really feel pity for the victims as much as I shake my head at their naivety. That probably makes me a bad person.

It's the fundamental theme that at least half the genre is based on.

Yeah, but I preferred it when it was just "You have sex in the cabin in the woods and a guy in a hockey mask shows up and murders you" rather than getting all arty and pretentious about it.

I probably will check out the movie though.

Sure, but it's at the heart of Dracula too.

• Like 1

I thought Compliance was an utterly ridiculous movie. 'Yeah, like people are stupid enough to fall for that!' And then I looked it up, and it actually did happen like that in real life. I... don't really feel pity for the victims as much as I shake my head at their naivety. That probably makes me a bad person.

All it took was a persuasive scumbag with a working knowledge of the Milgram Experiment...

It's the authoritarian personality type, isn't it? If you don't have an authoritarian personality, it won't make sense, because it's in your nature to ask why, or why should I, or I'd need to see that in writing, or what did you say your name was again, or you need to speak to my superior about that sort of thing. If you have an authoritarian personality, it's in your nature to say Yes Sir.

Authoritarian people make terrible bosses, you know. Good subordinates (if you like people who are massive arse kissers) but terrible bosses. 

I haven't seen "It Follows" yet but having heard about it...

Is "Sex is dangerous and can lead to bad consequences if you are not careful" a hugely new theme in horror flicks?

Like, I think people already know that, surely?

There's been a surprising amount of debate as to what It represents.  Dangers of casual sex?  Fear of intimacy?

I enjoyed this movie a lot.  The only thing that bothered me is that the sex curse in this movie functions a lot like the cursed videotape from Ring. 

The saving grace of It Follows is that there is no real backstory given for the nature of the entity.  It is there and real and the character have to deal with it as best they can.