DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

Cena in early to mid 05 was insanely over. The night he got drafted to RAW is one of the loudest pops I've ever heard.

Backlash started around SummerSlam in the Jericho feud.

And Jericho at the time was basically Eric Bischoff's avatar, as was Angle later. That feud started the whole avalanche of CENA SUCKS.

Okay, so, curiosity. Does anyone remember what the energy around Cena in 2005 was like? Was he getting the same "ugh shut up" treatment Roman gets now or was that more in 2006? I have the network but I don't really have the time to go back and check at the moment.

There was a pretty strong streak in the IWC that thought he was getting overpushed, but he was hugely over with the larger part of the fanbase because he was new, a great promo, and brought intensity in the ring, even if he wasn't nearly as good a worker as he was now. He was light-years beyond where Roman is now.

Brian Fowler, on 26 Jan 2015 - 12:28 AM, said:

The internet wrestling fans in general have always been down with Ziggler.  Some people here are less into him than the IWC at large.

Including me.  He's been a great weekly tv worker, but he has a pretty small number of truly great matches.  I think he's good, but not THAT good, you know?

But the crowd tonight would have been pretty okay with him winning.

Ziggler has had some great performances lately at Survivor Series and TLC against Harper. I'm not a fan of his character, but work wise he's stepped up his game.

Does anybody else have the feeling that last year's Rumble match was better than this year's?

Not even looking at the Bryan stuff, I thought it was pretty boring. And the fans weren't pissing mad, like last year, they seemed totally disengaged with the whole thing. Probably a lot of people posting variations of "Fuck, I paid a lot of money for this" on twitter.

Yes, Bryan being fucking awesome in Ring of Honor and on the indy scene for many years gave him a leg up initially when he finally made it to WWE but we are way beyond that. He had to scratch and claw his way to the top. He got put into a ton of bullshit, he was eliminated from NXT early on.. etc.  He had to go out there and bring it every night to get where he is now. He took what should have been an awful pairing with Kane and made it gold. He got over with the casual audiences because of "YES" and because of his incredible hot tags where he'd light the building on fire. He wasn't handed anything over the past 5 years or so.  This is all him.  He's the best wrestler in the world and tonight he was treated as a lower card act. The fans have a reason to be pissed.

• Like 2

Okay, so, curiosity. Does anyone remember what the energy around Cena in 2005 was like? Was he getting the same "ugh shut up" treatment Roman gets now or was that more in 2006? I have the network but I don't really have the time to go back and check at the moment.

The other thing from around that time was there were two titles. So Cena could go about his business and have whatever goofy feud he was involved in and you could still be invested in the main event because it involved other guys. 2 of the Mania main events from 2005 on where the Batista-HHH World TItle match after the Evolution break-up (which I believe was their best buy rated ppv other than Trump and Rock-Cena I) and then you had Taker-Edge for the title a few years later. 

Now literally all the eggs are in the Lesnar-Reigns basket. And because they ended the Undertaker streak gimmick last year, it's particularly aggravating for hardcores because now we don't have "Well at least there's the World title match" or "at least there's the Streak Match" to fall back on.

re: Rollins: I'm going to put this in spoiler tags so as not to invoke one shitstorm in the middle of another shitstorm.

I'm serious.

Dude is kind of the guy to beat for March Madness now, right? Evolution Tags, stepping into a top heel spot smoothly, Ambrose feud, Survivor Series, and now this? Like he's the guy. How is he not the guy.

He's gotta be right there. Especially now that he has a classic match tho hang his hat on that wasn't a six man.

If we ignore quantity and just look quality, Brock has 75% classics.

Cena in early to mid 05 was insanely over. The night he got drafted to RAW is one of the loudest pops I've ever heard.

Backlash started around SummerSlam in the Jericho feud.

And Jericho at the time was basically Eric Bischoff's avatar, as was Angle later. That feud started the whole avalanche of CENA SUCKS.

Yeah, I was gonna say it was the one-two punch of the Jericho and Angle feuds back to back that did him in. Then HHH codified the "You can't wrestle" thing in their Mania feud, and the rest is history.

There was a pretty strong streak in the IWC that thought he was getting overpushed, but he was hugely over with the larger part of the fanbase because he was new, a great promo, and brought intensity in the ring, even if he wasn't nearly as good a worker as he was now. He was light-years beyond where Roman is now.

Also, he had a successful heel run where he was getting in the face of guys like Brock and Taker and even though he never beat them, his promos were so good he got over as a face and turned almost organically. Then he was battle tested for 14 months before getting the ball.

Comparing Cena's ascent to Reigns' is to completely revise history.

• Like 2

re: Rollins: I'm going to put this in spoiler tags so as not to invoke one shitstorm in the middle of another shitstorm.

I'm serious.

Dude is kind of the guy to beat for March Madness now, right? Evolution Tags, stepping into a top heel spot smoothly, Ambrose feud, Survivor Series, and now this? Like he's the guy. How is he not the guy.

He's gotta be right there. Especially now that he has a classic match tho hang his hat on that wasn't a six man.

You just made up that percentage, damn it.  Show your work.

The Reigns thing is nothing like Cena. For all the Cena backlash, Cena was never not accepted as the Ace of the company. Even people sick of him are more than happy to pay to see him fight. Also, of course, Cena is light years ahead of Reigns as a worker. 

Even if Reigns wins the belt there's no way that by SummerSlam the champ isn't Cena/Rollins/Bryan or some other guy that can put on quality main events. 

For all the bitching about WWE booking, it's been a long-long time since they sacrificed main event quality for a project. It's the backbone of the company. 

So, we do all this for Reigns to end up in a Sheamus/Orton main event but not "The man" spot. And, of course, Reigns is nowhere near what Sheamus and Orton can do in the ring, even though both guys are like proto-typical methodical WWE-style. 

I think ending the split brand ppvs hurt Cena too. Or maybe it was just being on the same show as HBK and Triple H, because now that I think about it the split does lasted awhile after he moved to RAW.

Anyway, when he stopped bleeding on ppv because only one match per show for blood and it went to DX guys, he started to lose the men.

I'm serious.

You just made up that percentage, damn it. Show your work.

Four matches. Taker not a classic, both with Cena + triple threat are classics. Boom

I'm serious.

If we ignore quantity and just look quality, Brock has 75% classics.The worst guy Lesnar has been in the ring with since his UFC sabbatical has been a concussed Undertaker, so part of it is that Lesnar has had nothing but good to excellent workers to share the load with.

I'm serious.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The triple threat was a great video game match, but March Madness winners should be made of sterner stuff. I can't imagine putting him ahead of New Japan's big three.