DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

That Owens/Riley extended squash was great. Riley came in wanting to beat the shit out of Owens, but three minutes in as he was laying on the mat and Owens was above him yelling I'M THE KIIIIIIIIIIING, he just decided fuck it all and tried one flurry to get a pin. 

Obviously, it didn't work.

I really love NXT. Even when it's not perfect, it's really fun. Sasha Banks twisting Alexa Bliss in knots was cool even if the match was disjointed. 

I know it was a very specific crowd of NXT fans, but I was still impressed with the reactions Tyler Breeze, Enzo and Cass, and Kevin Owens got. 

It was cool to see NXT in a different environment. The idea of them becoming a touring brand is not a bad one, as long as they remain true to what NXT has been since they became the developmental brand of the WWE.

Tyler Breeze remains one of my favorite acts on the roster. Whomever said he needs his own Diesel for when he makes it to the main roster is spot on. I think Baron Corbin would fill that role quite nicely. It would give him time to continue to improve on his own abilities, and give him a character beyond what he has now.

Enzo and Cass will be tag champs soon, and that makes me a happy fan. It has been awesome watching Big Cass continue to get better and better as the weeks roll by.

Alexa is getting better....still not really a fan though. Sasha v Bayley is the match I want to see for the Women's Championship...and soon.

Kevin Owens is a damn beast. Whomever described him as NXT Vader is spot on. The match with Balor should be fun.

The key to making NXT a traveling brand is to keep it in super small spaces. If it can seat of 2k and had three tears it's out. No pro or major college buildings. If they would put Raw/Smacksown in the arena it's out.

They should run some old southern wrasslin' buildings that are still around, like the Grady Cole Center in Charlotte.  

Mainly because I want them to come to Charlotte.

• Like 1

The key to making NXT a traveling brand is to keep it in super small spaces. If it can seat of 2k and had three tears it's out. No pro or major college buildings. If they would put Raw/Smacksown in the arena it's out.

Why not college buildings? Just spitballing here but if they take NXT to college buildings and then use the NXT set-up to give a one-day live on the spot training for college students in entertainment degree fields could WWE get a tax break?

I thought this was the first really disappointing NXT episode in a while. Riley's offense sucked (fair enough, it's Riley) but he needed to go in guns ablaze, show some passion, and throw fisticuffs. He did none of that. A squash is fine but his hope spots sucked and I would've liked to see more resentment and meanness from Owens than trash talking in a headlock.

I think Breeze is fine but he's still fairly generic in the ring and not very engaging. 

Bliss is way too raw to be on TV. 

I did enjoy Enzo and Cass on the mic but the match wasn't much.

I think the Riley thing showed how thin the babyface roster is in NXT.

The top guys are Zayn, Bálor, Itami and Neville. They can't be sacrificial lambs for Owens. Then there is Amore and Big Cass who aren't believable in a main event situation. That leaves Baron Corbin, who is being super-protected right now.

They need whatever their version of a mid-card face would be and they need it soon.

• Like 2

The top guys are Zayn, Bálor, Itami and Neville. They can't be sacrificial lambs for Owens. Then there is Amore and Big Cass who aren't believable in a main event situation. That leaves Baron Corbin, who is being super-protected right now.

They need whatever their version of a mid-card face would be and they need it soon.

I think that Cass is big enough and over enough that he and Owens could work a pretty effective tv main event where both guys would look better after it than they did coming in.

• Like 1

If Rhyno's going to be around for awhile, Rhyno/Owens as a stopgap seems like the best possible idea. 

Why not college buildings? Just spitballing here but if they take NXT to college buildings and then use the NXT set-up to give a one-day live on the spot training for college students in entertainment degree fields could WWE get a tax break?

I meant big college buildings

If your little backyard or flea-market fed is worried about a company that tours and comes through your area maybe twice a year, then perhaps your "talent" should be focusing on being more proficient at their regular jobs: you know, not making the milkshakes too runny, flipping the burgers at the appropriate time, shaking the excess grease off the fires before dumping them in warming bin; that sort of thing...

NXT is going to kill independent wrestling and you're all going to be voluntarily supporting it

• Like 1

Question that came to me last night - Where does Riley go from here? Will he be back in the ring full time?

He cant go back to doing commentary, it would make Regal's whole "You cant do both" speech totally invalid.

Does he just float around and fill that "mid card face" role mentioned above?

If they're going to keep him in the company, they need to keep him down in NXT and let him develop some more. He has some worthwhile tools--athleticism, energy, a certain amount of charisma--he just has no idea how to use them. If he ever manages to put it all together in a package people care about, he'll be a decent midcarder for the company.

The problem with Riley is that he is fucking clueless in the ring.  There were moments where Owens was just standing there CLEARLY meaning for Riley to take a shot, and he just did nothing.  Who wants to get behind a babyface that isn't even fighting back?  He had one hope spot when Owens audibly told him to "pop me".  Riley's selling was decent, I'll give him that at least.

• Like 2