DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

One the one hand, Marrone had the team playing well, but he wasn't the greatest tactical coach in the world. Even late in this year he would do dumb shit like pass with a small lead when trying to kill the clock. He and the Jets deserve each other. . . .

Tim Livingston posted this on facebook:  

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/brian-murphy-knbr-jed-york-jim-harbaugh/

It's an interview with Jed York that got "vaguely hostile".  

It's glorious. You can hear him shifting uncomfortably in his chair around question 4.  

Also getting called on his "hold me responsible" is one of the best moments of sports journalism in the last 10 years.

Wow, that's maybe the greatest interview I've ever seen.

Whoever is Jed York's handler needs to stop him from doing interviews ever again, I've never seen a sports manager/owner flummoxed and bewildered and just destroyed like that.  I mean, when the interviewer says something along the lines of "Winning is what's important" and he replies with "Winning with class is more important" then tries to deflect questions about leaks by saying "All that matters is what happens on the field" so the interviewer goes "Well you were winning on the football field" is just brutal.  The way he repeatedly says that Harbaugh's leaving was mutual, then later uses the interviewer's suggestion that Harbaugh wanted to return as justification for the job Baalke did when he  WAS JUST SAYING HE WANTED to leave minutes earlier is the worst drubbing I think I've ever seen an owner/manager take.  Just staggering.

Harbaugh didn't have a lot to do with the defense being a monster for three straight years. They had by far the best front seven in football and the secondary was inconsistent but okay.

If you look back at the first year the Niners are winning every game 20-17. Harbaugh did a nice job with Alex Smith and limiting the turnovers. Gore was still a beast behind that o-line as well. The next year the offense improved with Kaepernick making it much more explosive.

Fast-forward to this year and Kaepernick has regressed and the offense can't do anything. The talent on defense was depleted with Smith, Willis and Bowman missing a large chunk of the season.

I'm not saying Harbaugh isn't a very good coach. He does a lot of things well but I don't want Roman anywhere near the offense and if we look at the pattern..  When the talent was at its best, they were winning..  This year with less talent and they struggle to get to 8-8.  How is that much different than what any decent coach would have accomplished?

• Like 1

Harbaugh didn't have a lot to do with the defense being a monster for three straight years. They had by far the best front seven in football and the secondary was inconsistent but okay.

I remember reading (I believe it was from Barnwell) that the Niners had incredible injury luck on the defense for those three years, which I'm sure contributes a huge chunk to them being as good as they were.

• Like 1

Re: Marrone - his agent is Jimmy Sexton. Rex's agent is also Jimmy Sexton.

There was a story the other week that Rex had gotten wind of the Jets asking one of Jimmy's other clients if he would have interest in the HC job.

No smoke without fire, etc...

Does this mean a glorious return to the head coaching ranks for Jim Schwartz?

Re: Marrone - his agent is Jimmy Sexton. Rex's agent is also Jimmy Sexton.

There was a story the other week that Rex had gotten wind of the Jets asking one of Jimmy's other clients if he would have interest in the HC job.

No smoke without fire, etc...

Does this mean a glorious return to the head coaching ranks for Jim Schwartz?

I think the Bills probably go after Frank Reich first. Considering the talent on both sides of the ball in Buffalo, they can probably do better than Schwartz. We will see if the new owner will pay for better coaches than Wilson did. . . .

I remember reading (I believe it was from Barnwell) that the Niners had incredible injury luck on the defense for those three years, which I'm sure contributes a huge chunk to them being as good as they were.

Even more so because the 49er Defense still does a lot less substitution and personnel switching than most teams.  Back in 2011 they basically didn't substitute at all outside of the basic nickel/dime packages.  Justin Smith, PATRICK WILLIS and NAVARRO BOWMAN played virtually every down.  Barring actual injury and/or garbage time.

Significant injuries to the latter two forced them to do more of that this year.  And they've trended a little bit in that direction because everybody gets older and it just has to happen (also Aldon Smith's Misadventures Under The Mantle Of Charles Haley means his backup ends up having to play a lot, too).  But the basic attitude is still "here's our best 11, they're playing every down, Bring It."  Which is good because they don't ever get caught out by hurry up offenses or have to burn time outs on D very often (gratuitous wasting of TOs is Kaep's job and/or possibly Greg Roman's fault) 

And of course attrition is part of football; good teams tend to also have good injury luck, mediocre teams tend to have bad injury luck and bad teams tend to have really bad injury luck, while historically bad teams have the latter and little talent to begin with.

WINNING CULTURE WITH CLASS OR OTHER BULLSHIT BUZZWORDS

Jed York: Fucking Idiot

It's like when they put a suit on a chimpanzee.  It looks kinda close, it can imitate the form, but no one will ever think it's a dude.

Jed know he's supposed to try and sound like Uncle Eddie and he can say the right phrases but we all know he's just quoting, reciting the same words but never really sounding like Uncle Eddie.  It's really only because his parents were so bad (and the aforementioned .700 winning percentage under Harbaugh, let's be fair here) that we give him as much of a pass as we have.  After all, we want him to be like his uncle too because that implies/requires they'd start winning Super Bowls again.  Now, though?  Probably not so much.

Whoever replaces Harbaugh is unlikely to be an upgrade.  Honestly I kinda hope they promote Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio [before someone else poaches him] just to keep him around.

Along these lines I am also trying very hard to disregard Gonzo's post about who the 49ers are allegedly interviewing this weekend.

Eric Decosta has yet again told teams he will not interview for any GM jobs and will stay with the Ravens.

Since he already has "GM in waiting" as part of his contract - you have to figure Ozzie Newsome has told him it will be sooner rather than later since this is the second straight off-season that DeCosta has passed on interviews

*looks at Bleacher Report*

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON ON PATTISON AVE????

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/changes_coming_to_eagles_report_hints_at_major_shakeup_after_firing_of_tom_gamble.html

Roseman and Lurie are gonna fuck this up so damn bad, we're gonna be fucked for years....

Yeah I was just coming to say the same thing. PFT speculates that they might even be trying to trade Kelly trying to explain the silence. If Kelly bolts I'll have more faith in Bruce Allen than I do in Lurie and Roseman.

Off the ledge already

Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie today announced a new structural change for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Howie Roseman will be elevated to the role of Executive Vice President of Football Operations and will continue directing contract negotiations, salary cap management and NFL strategic matters, while overseeing the team’s medical staff, equipment staff and more.

Head coach Chip Kelly will now oversee the player personnel department. He will also lead efforts to hire a new personnel executive – a process that will begin immediately.

“We are a good football team and we believe these steps will help make us a great team," said Lurie. "That step - from good to great - is the most difficult one for any organization to make. To do that, sometimes you have to step back and really look hard at where you are today and what you want to become."

Roseman has been with the Eagles for 16 years in a variety of roles - as general manager since 2010.

“Philadelphia is my home and the Eagles are my family. My number one goal is to help bring a championship to this city and that will never change," said Roseman. "I believe this will solidify the trust we have all placed in Coach Kelly."

Kelly, who was hired as the Eagles head coach in 2013, has had two 10-win seasons.

“I am very confident about where we are headed as a team and as an organization. I look forward to continue working with Jeffrey and Howie as well as the personnel department," said Kelly.

“This is not a one-man operation,” added Kelly. “It will truly take a team effort to acquire and develop the best football players and then put the best team on the field each week. It will take all of us working together."

Along these lines I am also trying very hard to disregard Gonzo's post about who the 49ers are allegedly interviewing this weekend.

Well, to help take some of the heat off of Gonzo, I was the first on this thread to mention he who shall not be named landing the job. At least this is just an interview.