DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXVIII

Dolfan in NYC

Okay, I know this was a talking point recently in the main discussion thread, but the "guy's music plays and everyone in the ring is instantly frozen" trope and the "we just happen to have a brand new Titantron and music ready to go for a shocking debut" trope combined to take a whole lot of steam out of Sting's first time in a WWE ring for me. It would have been so much cooler to have him come out of the crowd or just run down the entryway. Still a great moment, but gah, help me suspend my disbelief a little, guys.

Also, I'm not sure they'll go with Cena/Show. I'm guessing Cena moves on to Brock and Show feuds with Ziggler or Ryback. I'm not sure where else they could go with Ziggler (although a title match against Brock before the Cena re-re-rematch would be pretty great).

• Like 2

I thought this show was pretty close to the best ppv they've done all year. Sure there were some bad spots (Diva Survivor Series match, I'm looking at you - although the crowd FINALLY realizing Paige is the best Diva they've had in 10 years gives me the feels) but the opening match was awesome, Bray-Dean was an insane war that would've been one of the MOTY if not for the lame finish and that Main Event was..well, it reminded me of those awesome main events from back in the late 90s/early 00s. You had the lows (nonsensical turns, a million run ins) but you also had the highs (genuine emotion, a sense of the unexpected for once in this horribly predictable company).

If Sting-HHH is at Mania - can't see them wasting Sting even at a big show like the Rumble - I suppose Taker really is done then.

HHH gives the worst villainous locker-room motivational speeches.

Somehow he managed to start at "Amon Goeth before the Krakow ghetto massacre" and end at "John Goodman before the Greek Council games"

After the Greek games. Let's not TOTALLY mangle history.

• Like 4

I liked tonight's show.

Was ridiculous starting off with a promo, but it did well setting up up how meaningful the main was if the Authority lost. It was a nice enough promo, it just should have been on last week's Raw.

I enjoyed the Fatal 4-way, and it was nice seeing the divas get time even if it was a mediocre at best match.Also pretty damn happy Nikki is champ.

Ambrose/Wyatt delivered and I can't wait to see what the two do to each other at TLC.

I loved the main event. Didn't like the early Ryback and Henry eliminations, but Dolph's FIP act and the Show's turn were fantastic and really brought the drama.

If HHH and Steph are now out of power, doesn't that kind of make them "Outsiders"?

Of course, if there's anyone who can successfully lead a band of brave-hearted company babyfaces against two big shot outsiders and their asshole friends, it's Sting, right?!!!!

Right????

• Like 1

If Sting-HHH is at Mania then - can't see them wasting Sting even at a big show like the Rumble - I suppose Taker really is done then.

Sting'll be 56 come Mania time. He's closer to Flair's age than HHH's. He'll need someone to carry him through a match, and I don't think Taker's that guy anymore even if he can still go.

I'm surprised opinions are varying so much on the Dean/Bray match. I understand hating on the finish, but I thought the match was really good. Both guys beat the ever living crap out of each other. Dean took some nasty bumps including that urange on the steps. I'm happy the feud is continuing.

Ironically, I was meh on the match, but I thought the finish was perfect. Bray did that same "go on, hit me" thing he did to Bryan and Cena, but Ambrose is Ambrose so naturally he pulverized Bray.

• Like 1

Bray-Dean wouldn't be a match of the day candidate in a high school gym promotion much less MOTY. It was horrific, the crowd was silent the majority of the time...seems to be a pattern for Wyatt's matches frankly, pop for the entrance, seats firmly planted on hands for the rest.

• Like 1

I've said it elsewhere but 

1. Sting vs HHH is a terrible Mania idea. It'd be worked like the Brock matches, overblown, way too long, and full of the worst BS. The Bryan match wasn't just an anomaly in Hunter's career, it was also pretty much the only time in that career he had a big match that wasn't five-fifteen minutes too long. 

2. If Taker can go, a celebratory retirement dream match like Sting/Taker vs Kane/Show would be super marketable to casual fans and much better as part of a total package. 

I don't care who you are, if Dolph's heart didn't move you, you're dead inside. He earned that twice before he got the assist.

Ding dong the witch is dead...

But I guess I don't get the buzz about the ending stretch to the match. Does Ziggler not know more than 2 moves? Like, he kept hitting the same move(s) and that shit wasn't working. I get that everything seemed deseparate, the way Ziggler kept doing the same thing just was iffy to me. If that was Sheamus (yeah, I know), he would've tried to mix it up and that one finally Brogue Kick would've been all he needs because damn it to hell if Sheamus can't fucking milk a last swing in a match.. I get that everything seemed deseparate, the way Ziggler kept doing the same thing just was iffy to me. idk. I am over the "finisher/kick combo for 10 minutes" style.

I think the whole point was that he was running on fumes. In that case you go with what you can do in your sleep, literally. Given that some people get through entire careers that way (we'll see you next month, Roman..)

Coming up with virtuosity when you're the last man taking on the last man and you both look shocked that's the case, I'm willing to overlook move set and work rate and give me some Rocky/Rudy level inspiration which I got from it. The rub from Sting was a nice touch as well.

Looking back the Divas division did as well as they could. I agree the survivor series match was purgatory except for a handful of particular brutal moves, and the ttile match being the callback as it was being right. The four way tag was perfectly fine as an opener and we can start the countdown to the massive pop when Sandow takes his heat and does something else with it.

I give kudos to the classic feel of a SS, and enough that was current slop that we're used to making tomorrow's Raw a fairly decent watch. All in all a fun, good, thoughtfully booked show that gave a damn. At least to me. Your mileage may vary. Sorry Tennesse....

• Like 1

I'm surprised opinions are varying so much on the Dean/Bray match. I understand hating on the finish, but I thought the match was really good. Both guys beat the ever living crap out of each other. Dean took some nasty bumps including that urange on the steps. I'm happy the feud is continuing.

Ironically, I was meh on the match, but I thought the finish was perfect. Bray did that same "go on, hit me" thing he did to Bryan and Cena, but Ambrose is Ambrose so naturally he pulverized Bray.

It was a good moment.   I just wish Dean hadn't paused so long to milk it.  He should have been way more decisive and just like 'What? OK BONK!"

And I wish there was a safe way to do that spot without the "spear them in the gut so you can safely hit them in the back."   

And then I was kind of bugged by them trying to sell that throwing chairs at Bray while he was snuggled under a table was this devastating torture.

Everything on this show was, at the absolute worst, fun with the exception of the Adam Rose match that I missed most of. Sting showing up for real was one of the most surreal and amazing moments I've seen in wrestling in forever and even Dolph, who I loathe, was amazing during the finishing run of that match. Even though I didn't really like the Henry elimination I thought it was really funny and served a purpose to show that maybe Triple H isn't quite the leader he thinks he is. The call back for the AJ/Brie match was spectacular and the Divas elimination match was good, it had Summer Rae wrestling while on Acid. I also think the Bray/Dean match was well done and I loved the finish with Dean letting Wyatt know that he's as far from being John Cena as Bray is and just beating the fuck out of him with the plunder.

I think Rusev got bump of the night for going splat on the announce table, that looks absolutely brutal.

Okay, explain like I'm five: Will Steve Austin's live podcast with Vince be a Network exclusive, or will I be able to listen to it the next day on Podcast One?

I want live reads of Hot Cougar/DDP Yoga promos or this is a fail.

• Like 3