DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

The Wolverine was...okay. Felt more like an episode of a TV series than a big budget movie. Silver Samurai was real lame looking, Viper is a crappy villain. There's Asian Hawkeye and ninjas. They don't do much, not as much as you'd want. Jean Grey is the worst wet dream. But there's a god damn CG BEAR. Jackman obviously loves the character and he's still pretty damn good in the role, he IS Wolverine. I know everyone hates it and bitches about it but I liked Origins enough to buy it on Blu Ray. Haven't seen it in ages but I had a lot of fun with the action in it. Didn't have as much fun in this one, It's not bad but ehhh.

Did someone actually LIKE X-Men Origins?

The Wolverine was...okay. Felt more like an episode of a TV series than a big budget movie. Silver Samurai was real lame looking, Viper is a crappy villain. There's Asian Hawkeye and ninjas. They don't do much, not as much as you'd want. Jean Grey is the worst wet dream. But there's a god damn CG BEAR. Jackman obviously loves the character and he's still pretty damn good in the role, he IS Wolverine. I know everyone hates it and bitches about it but I liked Origins enough to buy it on Blu Ray. Haven't seen it in ages but I had a lot of fun with the action in it. Didn't have as much fun in this one, It's not bad but ehhh.

Found him!

Finally saw it. Overall, I liked it, but it was one of those frustrating movies where you can tell it changed hands a few times. Really, it's almost like it was intended to be a smaller movie that opened in March or October (I'm assuming this was Aronofsky's idea), but then it got bumped into the summer and suddenly it needed a big WHIZ BANG POW KABLOOIE denoument, so we got...giant robot samurai and snake lady. Cut that shit out and use all that time to flesh out the Yashida family stuff, and you've probably got a really good movie.

I liked the actresses they had playing Mariko and Yukio. Both of them had good chemistry with Jackman, I thought. They were just underserved by a movie with too much stuff going on for 2 hours.

Viper is just a whiff all over. Underwritten part with a nothing performance from whoever that was. And Lordy, her costumes were like something from a comic book film 15 years ago (and she CHANGES COSTUMES FOR NO APPARENT REASON in the final act). I can only assume it was a more substantial part when it was supposed to be Jessica Biel in the role

Surprisingly, the bullet train fight looked better in the film than it did in the trailers.

Just got back from The Wolverine. It started off well. I liked everything to do with the family and the funeral/action sequence was awesome. Then it went down hill big time. Viper lady sucked and Robo Samurai was laughable.

End credits:

Awesome! Despite the big shit Ratner took on the series I still fucking love Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart. Can't wait to see what comes of this

Well, they did at least realise that in a movie about a guy going around killing people with foot long razor sharp claws, people are going to, at some point or other, bleed from tier wounds. Origins messed that up.

See how Origins was messed up because you could tell it had been re-written to the point it made no sense and maintained no themes? The guy who got the actual scriptwriting credit on the movie was Dave Benioff. Game of Thrones guy. But I'm guessing Origins probably wasn't his fault.

Oh, I loved this. The first bits with Wolverine being vulnerable for the first time and having to learn to fight differently were great, it had solid emotional beats, Wolvie stabbing Yakuza and Ninjas and Samurai. And fucking Mariko and Yukio were AWESOME, especially given it was both of the actor's first movie role ever (both are fashion models in Japan).

I also really liked the big ending.

Since Logan got his healing factor back, they needed something that was a credible threat. Yakuza and Ninjas are fine and well when you're vulnerable, but once he was borderline invincible again they needed something suitably comic booky to do the trick. They built up both Viper and grampa Yashida being alive/the Silver Samurai armour throughout the whole movie, so it didn't feel like a cheap twist at the end to me as much as a logical progression into the super science teased throughout. And the fact the thing had a sword that could cut through adamantium as well as fucking DRILLS TO DRAIN HIS MARROW THROUGH THE CLAW STUMPS was super fucked up and awesome.I don't really know why, with a fortune and a huge storage deposit of adamantium, Mariko couldn't fix Logan's claws, but fuck it.Post-credits scene made me pop uncontrollably and I don't even care. That said, the thing I want most now is a movie set in the two years between with Wolverine and Yukio doing the wandering Ronin deal around the world. Could be super awesome.

Strangely, I think was more tantalized by the end of the movie than the mid-credits teaser. Very sad that we're never going to get a Wolvie/Yukio follow-up. That movie would have been awesome (for at least 2/3rds, anyway).

Don't have a link, but there's a good Chris Claremont interview up over at the Vulture with his take on the movie. Mostly it's the same stuff we've said here, but it's Claremont saying it.

I finally got around to watching Amazing Spider-Man. It was...man, I don't know what it was. I think Garfield nailed being Peter/Spider-Man and the stunt work and CGI really captured Spidey's acrobatics, but the rest of that movie is dull. It's such a thumbs in the middle movie. I think the biggest issue I had with the movie was the Lizard and his evil plot. I've never liked the Lizard and always thought he was one of the weaker villains in Spider-Man's rogues gallery. His scheme to turn everyone into a Lizard was really dumb too. I think that would be appropriate for the Spider-Man cartoon TV show, but for a movie, I mean, really, the best they could come up with was ripping off Magneto's plot from the first X-Men movie?

I'm hoping the follow-up is good. However, what I really want are the Sam Raimi Spider-Man flicks (part 3 excluded), but with Garfield and Stone as the leads.

I finally got around to watching Amazing Spider-Man. It was...man, I don't know what it was. I think Garfield nailed being Peter/Spider-Man and the stunt work and CGI really captured Spidey's acrobatics, but the rest of that movie is dull. It's such a thumbs in the middle movie. I think the biggest issue I had with the movie was the Lizard and his evil plot. I've never liked the Lizard and always thought he was one of the weaker villains in Spider-Man's rogues gallery. His scheme to turn everyone into a Lizard was really dumb too. I think that would be appropriate for the Spider-Man cartoon TV show, but for a movie, I mean, really, the best they could come up with was ripping off Magneto's plot from the first X-Men movie?

I'm hoping the follow-up is good. However, what I really want are the Sam Raimi Spider-Man flicks (part 3 excluded), but with Garfield and Stone as the leads.

I don't know. The Comic-Con trailer for me just tossed more doubt on to it. I mean telling any hero or villain origin can be tricky if you are trying to not look goofy but there has been a long streak of decent villains in comic book flicks recently. Jamie Foxx getting electrocuted then falling into a tank of electric eels to become Electro reeks of Batman & Robin syndrome, even the Rami Spider-Man flicks avoided that kind of silliness until they got to Sandman. 

First image of Peter Dinklage in X-Men: DOFP

Posted Image

He'd have made a great Doctor Psycho pre-Nu52.

Went and saw The Wolverine against my better judgment to day and... it was okay. The first two-thirds of the movie were pretty good and the bullet train fight was damn good even with that dumb bit of Wolverine flying right at the camera screaming with his claws out. Wasn't a big fan of the big twist reveal of the Silver Samurai and the endgame of the big plot. Mariko and Yukio were really good. End of credits scene was nice and hopefully the next X-Men movie will set the franchise back where it should've been. It really annoyed me how they were selective in when they translated the Japanese and when they didn't. Regardless, this was far better than that horseshit Origins movie and I'll probably end up catching it again later.

Re-watched Amazing Spider-man tonight. The Parker/Connors relationship isn't established enough. Gwen and Pete get together a bit too fast though this isn't so bad due to Stone's and Garfield's chemistry together. His reveal to Gwen though was just too much for when it happened. The Lizard and his plans aren't set up well enough with Connors breaking down a bit too fast mentally. The resolution of Pete's feelings for Uncle Ben also come way too late in the film during the epilogue. They really should have kept in the "with great power, comes great responsibility" line. Its easier to remember and are overall stronger words than the general comments they had coming from Sheen's mouth that try to dance around the line way too damn much. All that said I like the resolution, thought Sheen, Stone, Garfield, and Leary were all good-great in their respective roles, and the first hour is fairly solid origin story stuff though it wasn't really much better than what the first Raimi film did writing wise. Its not a bad film though it feels like it could have been a much better one with another 15-30 minutes to flesh things out. Still sets up a solid enough foundation for the next film.

To be dorky about it in wrestling terms.

Wolverine does a great face-in-peril spot, and they do the timing of him hulking up perfectly, before the movie goes completely to shit once Poison Ivy and Super Shredder bring everything down, and then, well, IT WAS ME, WOLVERINE, IT WAS ME ALLLL ALLONNGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

That film sucked, but by golly it was worth it for the end credits scene.

• Like 1

First image of Peter Dinklage in X-Men: DOFP

Posted Image

He'd have made a great Doctor Psycho pre-Nu52.

DC had actually changed his look to resemble him after Dinklage got famous.

The Wolverine was pretty meh overral, not bad, not good, just really middle of the road. There were two little scene that made me think "oh this was cool": Viper's death and Logan the human pin cushion.

Logan in Japan + Wolverine's power are not 100% are really tired story lines, but this one was really uninspired. Viper was almost cool, but in the end underdeveloped. Did they ever call the giant robot armor Silver Samurai? If so, what a a fucking waste of a character. BTW how was that by drilling Wolverine's bones the robot was stealing his powers?

The bottom line is PG-13 Wolverine will always be lame.

Just finished the Wolverine about an hour ago. Thought it was pretty good. The casting was good and I thought the third act was fine. I sort of get  people someone's point about it feeling like Vince's higher power storyline, but considering the story it was based on went and how the character themselves was built in the film it should have been obvious. I thought the story was good and well built for the most part. The ending credits scene was great, probably the best I have seen from any of the Marvel films so far.