DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm sorry...when was Jeff Jarrett ever a sympathetic face? In Memphis?? When in his WWF/WCW/TNA run was he that much of a likeable/sympathetic face?? He was at his most entertaining as MMA Jarrett and RDX Jarrett in Ring Ka King, IMO.

I'm sorry...when was Jeff Jarrett ever a sympathetic face? In Memphis?? When in his WWF/WCW/TNA run was he that much of a likeable/sympathetic face?? He was at his most entertaining as MMA Jarrett and RDX Jarrett in Ring Ka King, IMO.

I thought he was a pretty good young face in Memphis and even World Class.

• Like 1

Wow what a shock, you let guys act like actual human beings and they are suddenly interesting. I've never given a hint of a fuck about Axel but that promo was great. I'm actually interested in what he'll do now, and Ryback seems to have recaptured his magic. I like how they establish that they'll still be "buddies", even though they won't be a tag team. It'd be interesting and unique to have segments like this periodically with the two, where they kind of check in with each other. It would do wonders for their characters.

• Like 5

Jarrett's brief babyface run in the early Hogan/Bischoff era of TNA was actually really well done, and he came off very sympathetic.

This is the only time in his career that I have ever cared about him. He has such a good hangdog look on his face when a heel craps on him. He was great at garnering sympathy.

Wow what a shock, you let guys act like actual human beings and they are suddenly interesting. I've never given a hint of a fuck about Axel but that promo was great. I'm actually interested in what he'll do now, and Ryback seems to have recaptured his magic. I like how they establish that they'll still be "buddies", even though they won't be a tag team. It'd be interesting and unique to have segments like this periodically with the two, where they kind of check in with each other. It would do wonders for their characters.

I love any sort of character consistency in wrestling. It's like when a heel that Jesse the Body liked turned face, he wouldn't immediately trash the guy. He'd still give the guy props but say things like, "I think he's getting a little soft" or "he's still great but I don't know about his recent change in philosophy."

• Like 2

MMA/'No. 1 Dad' Jarrett actually had a ton of babyface potential; they should have ran with it because he was the best thing in the company at the time. The only good thing, iirc, about Victory Road 2011 was Jeff, Karen and the kids on honeymoon at Disneyworld.

Was that the segment in which Jeff is having the time of his life, the kids are flat out not giving a fuck and Karen keeps asking when are they gonna have sex?

Jarrett crying about Jill Jarrett and kicking anyone's ass who brings her name up was probably the most carny thing Jarrett ever did, but damn it really worked to make things more hated and more heated. Better than watching some dudes do moves to see who can get louder chants.

I loved Rybaxel but I think it did far more for Axel than it did for Ryback. I mean, there's probably a reason that promo took place on Superstars and not Raw or SD.

I dunno, I'd like to see more of that kind of stuff on Raw. Axel did more to establish a personality there than he has his entire run. More people should've seen it. Shorten the Authority's show-starting promos down from 20 to 10 minutes and that leaves room for roughly five 2-minute talking segments.

Go back and watch WCW Saturday night on the network (if it's even there):

Promo

Match

Promo

Match

• Like 1

Well, everyone knows the biggest frustration with three hour Raws is that it's just an extra hour to build the main event angle and everyone gets left out in the cold.

The biggest frustration with the Network is the guy uploads content is doing a shitty ass job.

The dudes in the main event should be over enough to sell themselves. People should want to see the mains without just the tiniest bit of build except why they are wrestling.

If they're gonna have so few people at the top of the card (and yes, they're doing better about that), they need to give the midcarders more personality to see if those guys can catch fire and move up the card.

• Like 1

MMA/'No. 1 Dad' Jarrett actually had a ton of babyface potential; they should have ran with it because he was the best thing in the company at the time. The only good thing, iirc, about Victory Road 2011 was Jeff, Karen and the kids on honeymoon at Disneyworld.

Was that the segment in which Jeff is having the time of his life, the kids are flat out not giving a fuck and Karen keeps asking when are they gonna have sex?

That's the one; can't find youtube links but it was proper funny. The thing is...well....post-Benoit, it was hard not to at least wonder if the kids weren't better off over at Chez JJ (though Giovanna Yannotti might have something to say about that).

I loved Rybaxel but I think it did far more for Axel than it did for Ryback. I mean, there's probably a reason that promo took place on Superstars and not Raw or SD.

I dunno, I'd like to see more of that kind of stuff on Raw. Axel did more to establish a personality there than he has his entire run. More people should've seen it. Shorten the Authority's show-starting promos down from 20 to 10 minutes and that leaves room for roughly five 2-minute talking segments.

Go back and watch WCW Saturday night on the network (if it's even there):

Promo

Match

Promo

Match

You could cut it down to 5 and have Cole keep talking about it for the next 3 hours like he already does

Did Austin and Rock need an extra hour to sell their shit? Gimme a HELL NO. Two hours is more than enough time to sell the main event, build up the midcarders, sell another big angle and still get in a quality 15 minute match.

I noticed once Bryan got hurt and The Shield broke up we are getting less lengthy matches. I guess they don't trust anyone else.