DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

I was really into sports cards for a long time, then pokemon cards came out when I was 10 or so and, then I transferred over to a different Wizards of the Coast game called MLB showdown which was kinda a baseball version of a Wizards of the Coast game. Best card my Cubs fan self ever got was a Kerry Wood card that if you got advantage (which is usually the case) you'd get a strikeout if you rolled a 1-9 on a 20 sided dice. I posted a 18 strikeout game with that card.

....I miss that game.

Yeah, I had bought a box of booster packs for that game when it first came out. Managed to pull an Ichiro, which might actually be worth something as it could technically be considered a rookie card. Fun game, too...

Ungraded it's basically worthless.

The Astros sign Jed Lowrie for 3 years/$23 million. Not bad.

The Dodgers sign Brett Anderson for 1 year/$10 million. Yeahhhhhh...umm...hmm.

The Dodgers have spent 58 million on Brandon McCarthy and Brett Anderson. That's an insane amount for two injury prone, shaky pitchers. I wanted the Yankees to keep McCarthy, but not for 4 yrs/48 mil.

The Dodgers release Brian Wilson and eat $9.5 million.

The Rockies sign UTL Daniel Descalso.  The White Sox sign P Brad Penny.  The Marlins sign OF/1B Michael Morse.

And the Rays send OF Matt Joyce to the Angels for P Kevin Jepsen.

Former Cardinals closer Jason Motte goes to the Cubs for one year at $4.5 million (plus $2.5 million in possible bonuses).  Sad to see him go, I always liked the guy (and his beard).

I like it: look at Maddon's bullpens in Tampa and his closers. Rodney in 2012 was dominant at age 35. 35 year old Kyle Farmsworth in 2011 was good. Rafael Soriano at age 30 firmly in the journeyman status in 2010 was very good. It's kinda his thing to take people nobody expects and show that they can still cut it near the back of the pen.

LOL.  Man, that dude stole money this year.  Pitches really well in a ridiculously small sample size and parlays that into an 8 figure contract before being awful.  Well done, Brian.

LOL.  Man, that dude stole money this year.  Pitches really well in a ridiculously small sample size and parlays that into an 8 figure contract before being awful.  Well done, Brian.

It really is the American dream. . . 

An interesting - and mildly depressing - story on Brad Halsey's death...which could very well be suicide.

A really sad story. I know all too well about mental illness, drug abuse, and suicide attempts. My heart goes out to Halsey's mother. I hope Brad Halsey is at peace and in a better place.

Yeah.  I guess it's pure numbers for the Rays since the farm system for position talent is pretty dry.  Plus there were RUMBLINGS!!! over the past couple of days that the Rays were not happy with Myers.

Or else they just want to be terrible as a way to either get a new stadium or get out of Tampa.