DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

Now that Scherzer (24 career WAR) will cost a team 105 million dollars for seven years of use, and then another 105 million dollars for seven years of post-retirement, is Cole Hamels (40.4 career WAR, one year older than Scherzer, four years remaining on deal) worth two top-shelf prospects? Or would teams still rather have James Shields (26.7 career WAR, two years older than Hamels, wants a five-year deal)?

Depends how much Shields wants. Unless he's asking way more than what Hamels is making I would rather sign him because then it wouldn't cost any prospects (which you could use to upgrade another position of need).

The more you read the more you realize that the Scherzer signing was Scott Boras taking advantage of an old man again.

The Nats didn't have real interest in Scherzer until Boras appealed directly to the Nats 89 year old owner - Ted Lerner.

I think there are now 8 Boras clients on the Nats (that number might not be exact but it is close)

Just to follow up on the # of Boras clients on a team

Tom Schad ‏@Tom_Schad  42m42 minutes ago

FWIW: With Scherzer, #Nats will have 6 Boras clients, most in MLB. Royals have 5, Orioles/Rangers have 4. No other team has more than 3.

As he gears up to return to the Yankees for the 2015 season after his yearlong suspension for PED use, Alex Rodriguez has turned to another controversial steroid-tainted superstar to help him get ready.

According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle Rodriguez has spent time working out with Barry Bonds in the Bay Area at the Future Prospects facility, which is owned and operated by Bonds' friend and former college teammate Charles Scott:

Bonds’ latest pupil has been out of the game since 2013, has hip issues and turns 40 in July, but Rodriguez is gung ho about returning to the Yankees and is all ears around Bonds. For A-Rod, it’s obviously about the present and getting the best tutoring available, his and Bonds’ association with the steroid era notwithstanding.

He really doesn't give a f**k, does he?

To be fair re: Nats and Boras, the club drafted three of those players in no-brainer spots. Two were big name free agents, and one is a guy that will perpetually be putting it all together (Espinosa).

It is mainly those two big name free agents that folks point to as Boras taking advantage of his good friend Lerner since in both cases it was Boras directly dealing with them.

That being said - at the time - the Werth deal was partly the Nats overpaying to show other FAs that they were willing to spend.

As he gears up to return to the Yankees for the 2015 season after his yearlong suspension for PED use, Alex Rodriguez has turned to another controversial steroid-tainted superstar to help him get ready.

According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle Rodriguez has spent time working out with Barry Bonds in the Bay Area at the Future Prospects facility, which is owned and operated by Bonds' friend and former college teammate Charles Scott:

Bonds’ latest pupil has been out of the game since 2013, has hip issues and turns 40 in July, but Rodriguez is gung ho about returning to the Yankees and is all ears around Bonds. For A-Rod, it’s obviously about the present and getting the best tutoring available, his and Bonds’ association with the steroid era notwithstanding.

He really doesn't give a f**k, does he?

Now they just need to form Doowop group with Lance Armstrong and Bill O'Reilly and the circle of life will be complete.

Through four seasons, the Werth deal has actually worked out pretty well...which I don't think a lot of people (myself included) realize. Yeah he missed half of 2012, but even with that, he's racked up 12.3 fWAR and hit .282/.375/.452 with 66 homers and 46 steals.

Of course, he'll make $63 million over the last three seasons, and they'll determine whether or not it's a bust or not.

Through four seasons, the Werth deal has actually worked out pretty well...which I don't think a lot of people (myself included) realize. Yeah he missed half of 2012, but even with that, he's racked up 12.3 fWAR and hit .282/.375/.452 with 66 homers and 46 steals.

Of course, he'll make $63 million over the last three seasons, and they'll determine whether or not it's a bust or not.

It's funny you say that - Brian Kenny was on the radio this morning and was talking about how they are doing the Top 10 at each position again and how Werth is going to be a lot higher on the list than people realize and how that contract has worked out fairly well so far.

The funny thing is I still hear some Cards fans who can't stand Holliday and blame his contract on Albert leaving, ignoring that Albert has been worse then Holliday since he left, and oh, by the way, it seems pretty clear to me the Cards never really wanted to re-sign him anyway.

Some people seem to think he only gets his hits in blowouts or something.  I think they underestimate how far the Cards would drop out of contention during those periods when their offense goes to sleep if Holliday wasn't doubling off the wall three or four times a week.

That most of his outs are pop-ups or K's compounds this because Cardinals fans of a certain age are still trained to adore speedy singles hitters.

The funny thing is I still hear some Cards fans who can't stand Holliday and blame his contract on Albert leaving, ignoring that Albert has been worse then Holliday since he left, and oh, by the way, it seems pretty clear to me the Cards never really wanted to re-sign him anyway.

Some people seem to think he only gets his hits in blowouts or something. I think they underestimate how far the Cards would drop out of contention during those periods when their offense goes to sleep if Holliday wasn't doubling off the wall three or four times a week.

That most of his outs are pop-ups or K's compounds this because Cardinals fans of a certain age are still trained to adore speedy singles hitters.

The 50 billion GDPs every year doesn't help either.