DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

There's a fun old timey baseball story about how Ted Williams refused to resort to that to beat The Shift.

And how the long retired but still living Ty Cobb was incredulous that Williams didn't do that every at-bat until they were forced to stop.

I'm reminded of the guy from Texas who didn't adjust when their opponent put EVERY infielder on the right side if the infield. How the heck do you not bunt there?

Yet another homerun of an idea from the GM meetings. This, per Jeff Passan:

Another suggestion that didn't get traction at GM meetings but could be on the table: Relief pitchers must pitch to more than one batter.

The idea: The platoon advantage has, in many ways, turned the sixth through ninth innings into a strikeout festival. Could mitigate it some.

Huh, that idea get any traction. I wonder why.

Eliminate the Shift.  Seriously, you want to eliminate the shift, get hitting coaches to get hitters to learn how to be more than pull hitters.  Seriously, put .5 seconds on your swing and you beat it.  

Another suggestion that didn't get traction at GM meetings but could be on the table: Relief pitchers must pitch to more than one batter.

The idea: The platoon advantage has, in many ways, turned the sixth through ninth innings into a strikeout festival. Could mitigate it some.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with this suggestion.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with this suggestion.

You are known for your bad opinions.

• Like 2

I actually wouldn't have a problem with this suggestion.You are known for your bad opinions.That's a bit harsh. I have a comprehensive plan for speeding up baseball that doesn't involve making guys face two hitters. I wouldn't implement that idea but it isn't terrible. After a year of it, nobody would care.

I really can't understand why GMs do things like this. Aren't most teams' AAA rosters filled with infielders that can play average defense from multiple spots, hit .230, and can do so for the league minimum salary? And if not, shouldn't they be?

I am still alarmed that Hawk Harrelson lives less than 5 minutes from me. Like...I'm halfway tempted to stop by his house this Halloween just to see what happens.

Anyway...this article makes me ashamed to be a Cubs fan. It doesn't fucking matter who the Cubs play in the World Series if and when they make it there. Jesus. 

No, it definitely isn't just a me thing. It's fucking awful that this doofus is the "face" of Cubs fans and gets referred to during Cubs broadcasts, on ESPN or was even included on the Catching Hell documentary. His part was thankfully cut (it was a roundtable discussion with others). Still, 85% of his articles are just the worst and anytime he's criticized for his idiotic opinions that he states as facts, he plays the victim card or threatens to ban someone. It makes me wonder if other guys running other team blogs are as bad. At least Brett Taylor at http://www.bleachernation.com/ does a good job.

Ignoring all the other shameful things about that article - the best part are all the Cubs fans who think the Astros are the worst team in the AL

In their defense they really haven't had much of a reason to worry or think about the AL in a long while*

*Note: This joke being ruined has been brought to you by stupid fucking interleague play

By the way, here's a few fun facts from reddit the other day:

The last time two teams who'd never won the World Series faced each other in the fall classic, it was 1906 - Cubs & White Sox.

Also, there has never been a World Series without one of the original 16 teams 

the other fun fact I saw today - two teams have never had a Japanese player

the Marlins and Reds (though the Reds did have Shin-Soo Choo for a year but South Korea is not Japan)

Team blogs are hit and miss. Because the pay rate for them is much, much lower than national-esque portals, the writers tend to do it out of "passion" as opposed to "money", and they don't really give much of a shit about necessarily improving their content - my way or the highway. If someone is a shitty writer (like ya boy Yellon), they're going to remain a shitty writer and they're not going to try to get better because there isn't much incentive.

I'm friendly with nearly all of SBNation's Braves blog, and the previous head guy there ended up stepping down a year-plus ago and forming his own site because SBN wanted him to turn it into more of a job than a passion.

I understand both sides of it. I've came across many, many people who love writing and love their teams and sports, but just don't have enough time to dedicate themselves to it for an extended period. You're not going to dedicate yourself full-time to it if you're getting paid peanuts (if that).