DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

Why can't the Dodgers hold on to someone for their career ala Jeter, Ripken, Gwynn? I'm not saying Kemp was anywhere close to any of those guys production wise, but it gets old having a favorite homegrown player get traded. Guess I should enjoy Puig for the few years he has left with them.

Because they have better outfielders waiting for playing time that don't make way too much money for an injury prone player who can't defend his position anymore?

I have two very large rubbermade crates full of baseball cards that I wonder why I even hold onto them. I've contemplated ditching everything except for my more valuable cards, if I even have valuable cards left, cards for favorite players, and cards for Cubs players.

I had/probably still have the Topps Don Mattingly rookie card.  I looked it up sometime in the late 80s and saw it was worth $40 at the time.  I treasured that card and kept it as safe as possible because 13-year-old me knew it would be my ticket to fame and fortune.  Of course, by the late 90s it fell to under five bucks, so petulant twentysomething me relegated it to that big box of cards I revisit every so often.  And so Don Mattingly was replaced on my "favorite card in my collection" list by a tattered Rolf Benirschke football card solely for his few months of Wheel of Fortune hosting duties after he left the NFL.

I have a Donruss Greg Maddux rookie card. I just looked up the eBay value and it's basically good enough to buy a large fry from McDonalds.

That bums me out.

But...but...is that card...

aa931f2a9673165ec0d67748b52204c2.jpg

God, I will never stop being bitter about the worthlessness of baseball cards.

• Like 1

I have a Donruss Greg Maddux rookie card. I just looked up the eBay value and it's basically good enough to buy a large fry from McDonalds.

That bums me out.

I think that has something to do with how massively overproduced cards were in the mid-late 80's. The sheer numbers means that even a coveted rookie card from that time period isn't worth all that much on its own. The only real exception I can think of is the '89 Upper Deck Griffey, and even that's dropped in value a lot in the last 10 years or so.

Oh, for sure. I think Olbermann, and others, have written about how horribly oversaturated the market became. 

I'm also afraid of opening up my crates of cards in fear that they've turned to dust or mold.

That bums me out.

I think that has something to do with how massively overproduced cards were in the mid-late 80's. The sheer numbers means that even a coveted rookie card from that time period isn't worth all that much on its own. The only real exception I can think of is the '89 Upper Deck Griffey, and even that's dropped in value a lot in the last 10 years or so.

Yeah, there was a fantastic book called Mint Condition (Slate excerpt here) that came out 4-5 years ago which covered all the sleaze about the card market bubble.  But yeah, starting about 86-87, cards started getting produced in the billions/year which...yeah.  Made all of them completely worthless and essentially killed the industry.  

In a nutshell, you would have been better off investing in Enron than in the card market.  Sigh.  I don't even want to think of the money I blew on cards.

Wow, was it that early? I'm trying to think, but I can only recall Topps, Donruss and Fleer. I thought Upper Deck came along a little later in the game producing more premium cards that were produced on glossy card stock.

EDIT: In any event, thanks for the book recommendation. I'll have to put that on hold at the library.

Chase Headley returning to the Yanks

4 years, $52 million

He should get more if he pushes A-Rod off a cliff

This is one the Yankees had to get. I think there's enough in the bullpen to replace Robertson and as much as I would have liked Brandon McCarthy back; not at what the Dodgers gave him. Now, we can leave Prado at 2nd, his natural position. The focus has to turn to the starting pitching now. I still believe the Yankees will end up with Max Scherzer despite what Brian Cashman says. I would also take a flier on Kris Medlen. If Medlen is recovered from TJ surgery, he will be a steal for somebody.

Yeah, found this at Deadspin.  Fleer and Donruss came into the picture in 81 and Upper Deck came on in 89 (the fabled Griffey card was #1 card of their first set).  

Upper Deck created the super-expensive craze which I assume chased many of you out of bothering as it did me.  But it was the Mattingly rookie card of 84 that is is credited with creating the whole cardmania  craze that ran wild through the late-80's/early-90's.  Once the sharks smelled blood of the Mattingly card love; 1986-on featured overproduction by Fleer, Donruss and Topps (along with fly-by-nights that popped up) that essentially made anything aside from the fabled Jr card worthless.

And yeah, that book is awesome as long as you don't think about how much money you blew on cards.

Chase Headley returning to the Yanks

4 years, $52 million

He should get more if he pushes A-Rod off a cliff

$13m a year for a guy that's a CAREER 1.8 dWAR and has only ever had one good season at the plate?

Torii Hunter just got $10 million for a season. So clearly people are just giving money away. Someone was giving him that much whether it be the Yanks or another team

There is also this...

@AaronGleeman 

Pablo Sandoval, 2012-2014: .759 OPS, 116 OPS+, 8.2 WAR, $90 million 
Chase Headley, 2012-2014: .782 OPS, 123 OPS+, 13.6 WAR, $50 million