DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: VAMPIRO

RIPPA

It's gonna be another week of Wrestlers Rippa Hates here on the WOTD.

And hoo boy do I hate Vampiro (which we kinda touched on in the ICP thread in the last Hate Week).

God - if I discover any of you voting for him for the WON HOF so help me God.

I'm no super expert on Lucha Libre, so why is Vampiro such a big deal down in Mexico?  Is he even actually a big deal?

He was, yeah, he basically lucked into the perfect gimmick at the right time and the crowd fell in love with him.  One of the lucha guys can explain it more in depth, but it's kinda like how Hulk Hogan didn't need to be a great technician or a great logical talker or a great anything, as long as they had something that the fans went crazy for, at a time when wrestling was at its white-hot peak of popularity.  Same deal here, (except in Mexico it's arguable when the peak STARTED, I suppose, but they were running multiple shows in the same arena or MORE on the SAME DAY).  And he's been riding that train into a career full of botched spots and self-serving lies ever since.  TSM's We Watch Shitty WCW Club exposed him as being one of the dirt worst when it came to sloppiness, protecting people properly, etc.  

Oof.  God it pains me to explain anything positive about Vampiro but...yeah.  He came to CMLL in 91 with a gimmick the ladies liked.  Why?  Who knows?  He came in with little training and was horrible.  His gimmick and look got him over then CMLL/Antonio Pena pushed him to the moon.  Long story short, he got into a main events with guys like Pirata Morgan, Konnan, Cien Caras and Perro Aguayo within months of his debut - entirely based on women liking his look.

And he never got better.  He has always sucked.  Grrr.

Around the online community, Vamp got hype from Bob Barnett something fierce so people who didn't watch Lucha were suckered into believing he was something worth watching when he got to WCW.  

Jesus.  Fuck Vampiro.

I could have swore he was in the first Wrestlers I Hate Week and am now shocked he wasn't. If he's ever done anything good in his whole worthless career it might be getting kids to listen to the Misfits (hopefully moving on from their current crap to the real stuff). Then again that's a debatable thing in and of itself due to the Misfits mass marketing campaign that was a part of... which now that it has infected the hip hop scene, WILL NOT STOP EVER.

He was one of those guys like Konan that I read all these glowing reviews about in the Apter mags and was really looking forward to seeing him wrestle in WCW.  Then he got in the ring and did a bunch of really bad looking "martial arts" kicks and was generally terrible.  I also remember every angle he was a part of in latter-day WCW being as atrocious as his ring work.

I could have swore he was in the first Wrestlers I Hate Week and am now shocked he wasn't. If he's ever done anything good in his whole worthless career it might be getting kids to listen to the Misfits (hopefully moving on from their current crap to the real stuff). Then again that's a debatable thing in and of itself due to the Misfits mass marketing campaign that was a part of... which now that it has infected the hip hop scene, WILL NOT STOP EVER.

Yeah - I had to double check to make sure because I thought the same thing but then - as I mentioned - it was because he was tied so closely to the Insane Clown Posse which is why.

I say that this week of scorn should be thematic.  Shitty wrestlers that we hate who have great gimmicks.

I love Vampiro's gimmick.  A shame it is wasted on a sloppy, lazy guy who is likely to injure you at any moment.

Holy shit, was the Dark Carnival / Dead Pool the single most hated stable of Rippa's life?  It had Vampiro, the ICP, AND the Demon.

If Rippa also hates Raven then it would be a cleen sweep, but his hatred of Raven would make me sad.