DVDVR Message Board

The most amusing part of all of this is poor Chris Bosh can't make any move until LeBron makes his. Watching ESPN yesterday they made it sound like Chris was sitting by his phone just waiting for LeBron to call. Only LeBron is never going to call. He's going to find out like everyone else and in the process he'll lose out on that deal from Houston.

I suspect he's going back to Cleveland because its all part of this story the NBA is trying to sell. Now that LeBron has his championships he can go home and win for them now. I look forward to the Cavs becoming the Atlanta Braves of the NBA. They'll always win the central and probably be the number 1 or 2 seed. But since LeBron won't have people who can make shots come crunch time (like Ray Allen or even Chris Bosh) it will all be on him and as saw before he bolted for Miami...he'll choke under pressure.

The best part of this has been how indignant it has made sports personalities over the last few days. Most of sports radio has done nothing but talk about Lebron not making a decision, followed closely by complaining that Lebron not making a decision is taking time away from them talking about real sporting events.....like who is going to be the starting pitchers for the All Star game. 

Anyone who has ever had to choose between a new (possibly better) job, an opportunity to go back home, or staying the course in your current position know how difficult it is. 

Anyone who thought it would be announced before today was fooling themselves. Bad News gets buried on a Friday afternoon, right? It's always been that way. Some giant fan base is going to get hurt, someone is going to do something stupid, and it won't matter quite as much because Sportscenter doesn't run as often on the weekend.

Chris Broussard sez--it's all about the Comic Sans letter and LeBron wanting an official apology.

Hasn't Gilbert gone on record saying something to the extent that he regretted doing it?

I do think it's dumb that he left the letter on the website up until this week.

The most amusing part of all of this is poor Chris Bosh can't make any move until LeBron makes his.

Well, he can, and he really should.

Why?  There is no reason whatsoever for him to make a decision until LeBron makes his decision.  Bosh wants to win more championships first, make a shit load of money second.  LeBron's decision is essential to Bosh fulfilling his larger goal, so why not enjoy your vacation in Africa instead of rushing into an uninformed decision?  Bosh is either going to play for more championships in Miami, or play for a shit load of money and possible championships in Houston.  That isn't exactly wondering whether or not he wants to lose a hand or a foot, it is basically a choice between his favorite pie and his second favorite pie.

Why?  There is no reason whatsoever for him to make a decision until LeBron makes his decision.  Bosh wants to win more championships first, make a shit load of money second.  LeBron's decision is essential to Bosh fulfilling his larger goal, so why not enjoy your vacation in Africa instead of rushing into an uninformed decision?  Bosh is either going to play for more championships in Miami, or play for a shit load of money and possible championships in Houston.  That isn't exactly wondering whether or not he wants to lose a hand or a foot, it is basically a choice between his favorite pie and his second favorite pie.

LeBron wanting titles makes sense to me, because you need a lot of titles to be considered GOAT.  It makes less sense to me for Bosh, because no one thinks he's at that level.  But mostly it's that "I have to wait until I know where LeBron's playing before I can decide where I'm playing" is this second banana, sidekick mindset that sort of makes him look like a chump.

Granted he's not going to end up in a bad situation either way.

LeBron wanting titles makes sense to me, because you need a lot of titles to be considered GOAT.  It makes less sense to me for Bosh, because no one thinks he's at that level.  But mostly it's that "I have to wait until I know where LeBron's playing before I can decide where I'm playing" is this second banana, sidekick mindset that sort of makes him look like a chump.

Granted he's not going to end up in a bad situation either way.

At this point the way people talk about Bosh, I imagine people thinking he is a chump never crosses his mind.  I think the lesson in all of this is that we care about what these strangers do much more than they care about what the hell any of us think about what they do.  These dudes are living their lives the way they want to live their lives with little to no thought about what the hell we think about it.  People are on LeBron's lawn like they are actually going to get some sort of prize if he goes back to Cleveland.  What ever happened to behaving with a little bit of dignity.  Why put so much of your emotions into someone else's decisions?  Do you think they put that much emotion into their own professional decisions?  It is basically the exact wrong way to go through your life.

I used to think that LeBron opted out just for re-org and that he'd re-sign with Miami with the swiftness.

But with Wade being crippled and not really giving a shit, the quest for the three-peat possibly having to include seven straight trips to the Finals, Bosh being somewhat inconsistant, Kyrie Irving and Andrew Wiggins being the new hotness in Cleveland, and LeBron's wife apparently being homesick and tweeting about how much she enjoys "being back home," I am not so sure that LeBron won't just sign with the Cavs.

Chris Broussard sez--it's all about the Comic Sans letter and LeBron wanting an official apology.

Hasn't Gilbert gone on record saying something to the extent that he regretted doing it?

I do think it's dumb that he left the letter on the website up until this week.

The problem is that until he thought the Cavs had a real chance to get LeBron again, Gilbert only alluded to an apology once and kept his stupid letter on the team website for years.  He's only being contrite because he wants to make more money with his team, which he only does is LeBron comes back to Cleveland.  Gilbert showed that he takes ownership literally, and I don't know how LeBron rectifies that--especially if they haven't even met face to face.

I'm glad this is over. 4 great years and now it's onto the next one. Lebron wrote a beautiful letter and he's the most forgiving athlete in the history of sports. I'm glad that SI broke this and not guys on Twitter. Massive score for SI. I got no problems or complaints.

Now let the barrage of cute cuddly animal gifs begin.

Two things I love:

1) I love SI totally gas-facing the completely obnoxious ESPN talking heads. They kept their cards on the table for this the entire time.

2) I know the letter has a lot of PR. But I do love LBJ touting his return as a means to inspire other talented young people to return to NE Ohio. I'm an economics wonk. LBJ became a spokesperson for helping stem the brain drain from industrial cities in a post-industrial society.

• Like 1