DVDVR Message Board

July 2014 Soccer Thread

Guest Edwin

He might actually be helping them a little as long as he stays injury free. I think he is past the stage where he can carry a team on his own. In the World Cup Ivory Coast was - with Toure being not fit and all - centered around him, he was brought on as the difference maker in the first two games, and it didn´t really work. Than he was played from the beginning in the third game and couldn´t really make his mark.

Anyway, in Chelsea he might still work, simply because there is a certain depth of quality players who can provide for him.

It might also fail horribly, Drogba is and always has been a physical player. He is well in his thirties and it doesn´t get easier to be at 100% fitness level when you´re getting older. Maybe Mourinho believes him to be a talisman, he was very vital to Chelsea´s CL-Triumph in 2012, a title Mourinho couldn´t win while coaching at Stamford Bridge. Normally I would have thought Drogba to be a "veteran addition" to the team that can help younger players out and come of the bench to help turn a game around here and there. Then I remembered how Mourinho basically says he has no strikers (didn´t he?). So maybe Drogba actually is his first choice.

Apparently, Van Gaal is not pleased with his start time today against Roma. I guess I can somewhat understand that. How often will his players experience this kind of heat in Premiership 

Had a blast at the Manchester City fan fest yesterday, even getting interviewed for CityTV. They shot the works with free food, the Double trophies, clinics etc- I recognize that not only is it not a drop in the bucket for the club, it's not even a molecule in that drop, but it's still way, way more than RBNY have ever done in the city proper to promote themselves for the most part. I've officially joined the dark side and sprung for a NYCFC season ticket as well- let the hate mail commence (y'all know who you are).

10526120_727291317308846_449284544759342

10513477_10201937259014030_1510796721792

BPL trophy selfie.

10486220_727291403975504_216905025979125

In a surprise, Shaun Goater was there.

• Like 2

Spurs basically traded Gareth Bale for 50 people and they could still lose the deal if Lamela doesn't have a good season.

I do think he will though as long as he actually plays. I mean, he was hurt 75% of last year. Kind of hard to get going that way.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Gutted that Tony Watt has been sold to Standard Liege.  He's got all the talent in the world, but his attitude has always been questioned and multiple managers here and elsewhere haven't gotten through to him. 

Thanks for this memory, though, Tony.  And good luck to him. 

Had a blast at the Manchester City fan fest yesterday, even getting interviewed for CityTV. They shot the works with free food, the Double trophies, clinics etc- I recognize that not only is it not a drop in the bucket for the club, it's not even a molecule in that drop, but it's still way, way more than RBNY have ever done in the city proper to promote themselves for the most part. I've officially joined the dark side and sprung for a NYCFC season ticket as well- let the hate mail commence (y'all know who you are).

Because it will be the closest that MLS has come to my area of the country, I am excited about having Orlando start next year. I plan on making the six hour trek to catch a game, and then there's Atlanta in 2017!

Eh, can't blame you.  If NYCFC wasn't a City Feeder, I'd be swapping over to them as well.