DVDVR Message Board

July 2014 Soccer Thread

Guest Edwin

The NFL is unique...American football is a bizarre specialty of one nation that is so extreme in its expectations and physical and mental demands that it almost exists in a test tube.  US Football the way it exists right now is like sci-fi weird in how specialized every aspect is. 

An NBA team could lose a game to a college or international team.

An MLB team could

An NHL team could

I saw that Seattle tied Tottenham 3-3. Should I take anything from this? Did they send a B-squad? Could the best teams in MLS now beat the worst of the EPL? Could MLS teams win the second rate English league?

Minnesota United of the NASL beat Swansea 2-0 yesterday. Don't know if that means anything either. 

Also, as if I haven't mentioned them enough this page, Sporting KC hosts Man City on Wednesday. Defending champs of both leagues, if you're looking to draw conclusions. (I wouldn't, even still.)

For the European clubs, the preseason games are about getting players back into fitness and sorting out things like teamwork, who'll play what role, etc. For the MLS clubs, it's one of only a few chances most of their players will get to play against top-flight opponents. So you've got one side that essentially couldn't care less about the result, and another side that's playing for pride.

Yes but pitching is an equalizer. Its different. You'd never see an NFL team lose to a college team in a sport where 11 guys are on the field at the same time and all involved in the action.

Back in the 60's the NFL and CFL used to play each other in preseason.

Winnipeg beat the Chicago Bears.

Funny how some chapters of American football history (mainly all the ones where a bunch of great black players wound up in Canada) just kind of go missing. I mean, games like that didn't mean anything either but it's still funny how that stuff has basically been wiped from history.

Massively excited about going to Cov's first pre-season friendly today vs Nuneaton. It's been a long, painful week without watching any football, but somehow I've gotten through.

Game didn't go quite as well as hoped. Got to the 50th minute, when suddenly the sky opened up and a deluge of rain descended on the Nunny Town pitch. I was well back in the stand and still looked like I'd taken a shower with my clothes on. In the below video you can just about make out the players all sprinting for the changing rooms. Game abandoned

http://youtu.be/bFDF55xr4N8

• Like 2

Yeah but was it really the Chicago Bears or was it backups, third stringers or practice squad players? That's why I asked what kind of squad these EPL teams are sending. Its easy to say they don't care. Everyone says that like Alabama doesn't care about bowls that aren't the national championship but its not true...the players are still playing their asses off in those games and Saban is still swearing up and down the sidelines.

I saw that Seattle tied Tottenham 3-3. Should I take anything from this? Did they send a B-squad? Could the best teams in MLS now beat the worst of the EPL? Could MLS teams win the second rate English league?

Minnesota United of the NASL beat Swansea 2-0 yesterday. Don't know if that means anything either. 

Also, as if I haven't mentioned them enough this page, Sporting KC hosts Man City on Wednesday. Defending champs of both leagues, if you're looking to draw conclusions. (I wouldn't, even still.)

A decent Man City side got worked over by Dundee and lost 2-0 last week. Dundee have just been promoted to the top league. Pre season results are meaningless.

Yeah but was it really the Chicago Bears or was it backups, third stringers or practice squad players? That's why I asked what kind of squad these EPL teams are sending. Its easy to say they don't care. Everyone says that like Alabama doesn't care about bowls that aren't the national championship but its not true...the players are still playing their asses off in those games and Saban is still swearing up and down the sidelines.

No clue whether this is the norm or not, but when I went to a match United had at Seattle a few years back, it was most of the top 25 or so players on the roster, the large majority of whom got at least some playing time. I remember it was the first-choice back four of Rafael, Rio Ferdinand, Vidic, and Evra, then a mixed back in midfield, (I remember Valencia was hurt, so Nani and Young were the wingers. I wanna say Anderson and Giggs started) and Owen and Macheda up front. Later on, Rooney would be put in, Carrick, as well as others.

A decent Man City side got worked over by Dundee and lost 2-0 last week. Dundee have just been promoted to the top league. Pre season results are meaningless.

Of course. But I'm still going to pretend we're champions of the English speaking world, if the result comes up positive. There's even an invented "Champion's Shield"  at stake, meaning, hilariously, that the game can't end in a draw. 

Has any team lost more players this off-season than Atletico Madrid or Southampton?  They have both lost so many important players.  At least AM has brought in some suitable replacements.

The correct answer is Blackpool.

The biggest difference between MLS and teams in top Euro leagues (besides the salary cap, which is a recipie for an inferior product but that's another story) is depth. The starting lineup of a good MLS side could compete with teams in those leagues, but due to the cap the reserves are very weak. Bench guys in MLS can make 20-30k a year, and you aren't going to get quality for that price.