DVDVR Message Board

July 2014 Soccer Thread

Guest Edwin

I have always loosely followed the sport, but I have been bad about consistently following the club teams. I know part of that has to do with having no one to discuss the subject with in South Alabama because you get the stupid "that's not real football! Row Tie Row!"

Anyways, what are some worthwhile podcasts to listen to for futbol? I started listening to Men in Blazers, and I am not sure if I am amused by their show or annoyed by it.

Which is funny because they've had USMNT matches in Birmingham that drew in the 70-80K range.

They had a lot in Birmingham when I was growing up (I think a lot of the 96 Olympic games were hosted at Legion Field as well). I do not think they've hosted anything else in quite some time. Legion Field has had its capacity knocked down due to the deterioration of the building, and it is kind of in a terrible part of Birmingham. Youth soccer down here is huge (although, still well behind youth baseball and softball). I think Atlanta and Orlando getting MLS teams will help grow interest in this region... ESPECIALLY Atlanta for this area since we do travel there quite a bit for concerts, football, baseball, etc.

I always thought that Birmingham should have gone after a team in the early stages of MLS, since it seemed they were going after smaller markets for awhile.

The Guardian's podcast and Football Ramble are both good. Ramble makes a lot of offhand comments and refer to old school stuff a new fan of club football may not get (sometimes I don't get what they're referring to) but their ramble profiles at the end of each episodes are great and they're genuinely funny dudes having a good time talking shit about footy. The Guardian's podcast (Football Weekly) is way more accessible but can be a bore after a while.

Men in Blazers

Football Weekly

the Game

There are a lot of club specific podcasts and a lot of comedy-based podcasts.

I have always followed Man U loosely, but that's mostly because they have always been the club that I have recognized, and I have followed enough club football the last few years to know a little bit about some of the teams. However, even that has been Barclay's and MLS related.

Not a podcast, but if you want to see what the DVDVR editions would look like as a football magazine, you should be visiting a website called In Bed With Maradona. It's really something, though it may be a bit far down the rabbit hole for someone just getting in the door.

I still don't quite get how transfers work. Do you have to wait until someones contract is up or do you just go to x team and say "we want this Guy, how much?"... then does the player also need to work out his own deal with the club? Why don't I ever see player contracts reported?

I still don't quite get how transfers work. Do you have to wait until someones contract is up or do you just go to x team and say "we want this Guy, how much?"... then does the player also need to work out his own deal with the club? Why don't I ever see player contracts reported?

Pretty much this if a player has more than 12 months on his contract, otherwise it's the Bosman ruling -  they're free to sign a pre-contract agreement with anyone they choose, compensation can be payable if it's a young player who has spent some time (3 years?) within a clubs system.

The only positive to soccer not being completely mainstream in the US yet is that I would think we would try to change and Americanize the sport that much.

For example, I think in our current "that's not fair" society. You would have many talking heads complaining about the three sub limit.

Don't start me on our (American's) fascination with the Golden Goal rule and our indignation that its not used in MLS/NASL anymore, or that its not used in World Cup knockouts.

I honestly do not get the point of a third place game. It's not like the Olympics where they're playing for a Bronze medal. Even then, is anything other than a gold necessary in sports like Basketball, Soccer, etc.?

Money.  Your place determines how much money your National Team gets (most of which pays the insurance and fees to clubs for the active players)

The breakdown I saw is 

1st: $35 Million

2nd: $25 Million

3rd: $20 Million

4th: $18 Million

Losing in the Quarters: $14 Million

Losing in the Round of 16: $9 Million

Eliminated in Groups: $8 Million

Just showing up: $1.5 Million

That's all in US Dollars.

The only positive to soccer not being completely mainstream in the US yet is that I would think we would try to change and Americanize the sport that much.

For example, I think in our current "that's not fair" society. You would have many talking heads complaining about the three sub limit.

Unfortunately, I've been on a message board this week full of Canadians (same thing as Americans sometimes) complaining about how sawker is boring so... there should be more subs, the golden goal should exist, the games should be only 60 mins long, there should be more refs on the field, the pitches should be smaller and there should be less players on the pitch. Not joking either. It was just a couple of suggestions away from "and it should be played with sticks on ice".

Unfortunately, I've been on a message board this week full of Canadians (same thing as Americans sometimes) complaining about how sawker is boring so... there should be more subs, the golden goal should exist, the games should be only 60 mins long, there should be more refs on the field, the pitches should be smaller and there should be less players on the pitch. Not joking either. It was just a couple of suggestions away from "and it should be played with sticks on ice".

The worst two arguments are "it's too long" and "it's boring." In an age where NFL games run 3+ hours and baseball exists. 

EDIT: and I am a big fan of both sports, but NFL games seem to run longer and longer to air with player safety, and Baseball is long, drawn out, and most cuts to crowds invovle them playing with their cell phones.