DVDVR Message Board

July 2014 Soccer Thread

Guest Edwin

I'm pro golden goal but it's not really a big deal.

The only rule that genuinely annoys me enough that it must die is the away goals rule. One road team wins 2-1, the other wins 3-2, and we decree one better than the other based off a coin toss to see who hosted the second game. Rubbish. In the days of needing 4 replays to settle ties I can see the point. In the TV era when everything is settled in extra time anyway I don't see any point to this whatsoever.

I'm really not a rules complainer. Format is what it is. Moderns sports tinker too much. This one I make an exception for though. Only other thing that drives me nuts are the NFL/s goofy clock rules where you can just eat 2 minutes of a game by sitting down.

It's more difficult to score goals away from home than at home (for example, Man Utd was the only team to score fewer home goals than away goals last season). I love the rule and how ties can flip on their head in an instant.

I honestly do not get the point of a third place game. It's not like the Olympics where they're playing for a Bronze medal. Even then, is anything other than a gold necessary in sports like Basketball, Soccer, etc.?

I disagree with that. I find it a nice feature to have a third place match and more often than not this match is one of the best in the tournament. Apart from that, the third place finish does get a medal, no idea whether it´s Bronze or not. It might still stem from the days where World Cups where a new thing and squads were having 14-day-trips and to be rewarded for staying in a tournament long enough to get to the semis, but I like those matches quite a lot.

Well, I like them best if my team is not in them, tbh, but this is more of a "damn, so sad we lost the semifinal"- than a "what a worthless match"-kind-a-thing. This comes with being from a footballing nation that is quite often a contender for final appearances and winning titles, I guess, since I remember Sweden in 1994, Croatia in 1998 and Turkey in 2002 celebrating their third place finishes as if they´d won the title. In short, for neutrals this match often turns out to be an entertaining back and forth match up between teams that don´t follow big tactical restrictions on the pitch.

The emphasis on stats on the other hand is something I personally don´t get, though and feel coming from US sports it is getting bigger and bigger in football aswell. Of course scoring goals is what matters, but it´s scoring goals as a team. A forward who is able to create for his teammates in his position while not scoring himself can still be an amazing attacking player, even if in the end his goal per game ratio is something like .08 or whatever.

I think Liverpool had to sell.  A team like Barcelona, with their depth up front, can withstand not having him until October a lot easier than Liverpool can.  Plus there is the gargantuan sum of money and the risk of Suarez losing his mind again.

Watching Liverpool fans turn on Suarez is glorious. This is the only day I'm sad FSW is no longer here.

He was a contrarian, so he'd likely have done his best to no sell it or say we won't finish in the top 4. I'll miss the goofy bastard, but I won't miss the drama. I think we'd be better served moving away from the 4-4-2 narrow diamond we settled into last season and move back to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, particularly with European football back on the plate. Don't think good continental sides will be as naive and easily countered with speed as the likes of Norwich were (see the Chelsea match).

So, with the upcoming purchases of Markovic (dose eyebrows doe!) and Origi (don't know if he's being loaned back to Lille), our spending this summer will be in the 65-70m range. I wonder how much of the Suarez money will be invested or how much will be covering those purchases. It seems like quite a few players will be sold as well with the likes of Agger, Lucas, Aspas (somebody take him, please!), Assaidi, and a few others on the way out.

I think Liverpool had to sell.  A team like Barcelona, with their depth up front, can withstand not having him until October a lot easier than Liverpool can.  Plus there is the gargantuan sum of money and the risk of Suarez losing his mind again.

Also, he had a release clause that got met.

Oh boy.

The increasingly bizarre world of Leeds United has taken another turn for the strange after it emerged that Massimo Cellino, their maverick new owner, has such a dislike of the number 17 it has turned him against one of the club’s key players who was born on that date.

Cellino is so suspicious of the number 17 that he had the seats at his former club, Cagliari, taken out and replaced with 16B. Now he has instructed the new Leeds head coach, Dave Hockaday, not to select Paddy Kenny after discovering that the goalkeeper’s birthday is on 17 May and concluding that he is bad luck for the Championship club. Kenny, the second-highest earner at Leeds on £10,000 a week, has been left at home while the other players embark on a pre-season trip to Italy and he will not play for the club again.

Cellino, who also has a fear of purple, has separate issues about Kenny allegedly being overweight but is said to have reacted emotionally when he found out the 36-year-old goalkeeper had a connection with the number 17.

Big thing I took away from this: we've finally found an owner who could beat Charles Wang in a crazy contest.

So, yeah, my hometown only has a population of 100,000 or so but I like to see people from here do well. Point is, there's a tiny ickle band from here called the Wonder Villains who are depressingly young (I mean, shit, I'm 29 but I feel I'm old enough to be their grandad) but they have a song called Zola which has been played on Radio One and Soccer AM and BT Sport and yadda yadda yadda in the last couple years. Anyway, they've put an album together and wanted to record a video for Zola and, because his daughter happened to hear the song, they managed to get GIANFRANCO MOTHERFUCKIN' ZOLA himself to appear in such a tiny video for an, as yet, tiny band:

I don't even know if I particularly like the song, I mean, the chorus is absurdly catchy and all but I feel as though I'm about 15 years past their demographic. But because it's made the local news and it put a smile on my face, my point is Gianfranco Zola remains part bonafide genius part nicest guy in the history of football for agreeing to show up for this. I imagine dude did it for free because he's just that kinda guy and gives me hope I could get him to show up and play for my team in 5-a-side indoor football if I asked him.

I'm rambling because I'm drunk and proud. It's not a dignified combination.

• Like 1

Looks like they also got Luis Suarez on drums. Presumably before he was banned from any football activities.

No, really. Dude looks legit like Suarez...

Wonder-Villains.jpg

3280116.jpg?719

TheForge.jpg

Anyway, I'll miss the crazy bastard. Hated him for a long time. Absolutely loved him last season. It was a beautiful season. Apart from the end, obviously.

Along with the memories, he leaves behind probably the best chant for a player ever...

His name is Luis Suarez, he wears the famous red
I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough
When he scores a volley or gets one with his head
I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough
He scores a goal and The Kop go wild and i just can't seem to get enough