DVDVR Message Board

July 2014 Soccer Thread

Guest Edwin

Phillip Lahm retires from his international carreer on top of the world, leaving the fullback position wide open for up and comers. Of course a big loss, the guy is arguably the best right back in the world. Needless to say the Bundesliga lacks fullbacks who are even close to him. I guess it´s the right choice for him, he has been part of the squad for 10 years and is turning 31 this year. It won´t get any better for him. Considering the problems Germany had rebuilding after World Cup wins, this might be a blessing in disguise.

Lahm will continue playing for Bayern in club competition. No idea if he gets a farewell game which he´d deserve, of course.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I don't want to get into the politics backdrop of the situation, because I respect the board's guideline on "no politics", but I'm fairly disgusted with some of my fellow Celtic fans at the treatment of our midfielder Nir Biton.  Biton is an Israeli Jew who served in the IDF, as all Israeli's do.  He posted on his twitter a common Israeli prayer for the armed services there.  Many Celtic fans are left-wing and pro-Palestinian, so inevitably there were some OTT reactions to a guy who simply was posting a prayer for people he probably served with.  He'll now probably get booed by a small section of the support when he next plays for us and it will be embarassing. 

I'm sick to the back teeth of people who can't deal with any opposing viewpoint without condemning those people as scum of the earth and all that.  Frustrated to no end with this kind of stuff. 

I'd like to think that fans would be more intelligent and look at our first team which has an Israeli Jew and and Israeli Arab (Kayal) playing in the same side in training and matches day after day, and give the young man the benefit of the doubt, no matter how one feels about a conflict that has been ongoing in that part of the world centuries before Biton had any say in the matter.

Fuck people.

I don't want to get into the politics backdrop of the situation, because I respect the board's guideline on "no politics", but I'm fairly disgusted with some of my fellow Celtic fans at the treatment of our midfielder Nir Biton.  Biton is an Israeli Jew who served in the IDF, as all Israeli's do.  He posted on his twitter a common Israeli prayer for the armed services there.  Many Celtic fans are left-wing and pro-Palestinian, so inevitably there were some OTT reactions to a guy who simply was posting a prayer for people he probably served with.  He'll now probably get booed by a small section of the support when he next plays for us and it will be embarassing. 

I'm sick to the back teeth of people who can't deal with any opposing viewpoint without condemning those people as scum of the earth and all that.  Frustrated to no end with this kind of stuff. 

I'd like to think that fans would be more intelligent and look at our first team which has an Israeli Jew and and Israeli Arab (Kayal) playing in the same side in training and matches day after day, and give the young man the benefit of the doubt, no matter how one feels about a conflict that has been ongoing in that part of the world centuries before Biton had any say in the matter.

Fuck people.

You'd think they'd be able to see that sort of black and white thinking is what is causing so much turmoil in Palestine to begin with. 

As for the Borini sale, I like him, think he'll be a good player one day but I'd take 14m in a heartbeat for him. We're usually made mugs of in the transfer window but getting 21 million for Borini and Assaidi is a nice change, if only temporary. I'm sure Lucas, Agger, and Reina will be loaned out to Rafa again. I wonder if there's even a hint of truth in any of the Reus bullshit going around on twitter and the lesser papers. He's in a bit of a shitty place after trying to move to Barcelona, turning down United, and now without a suitor. I'm sure he'll be more than pleased with staying in Dortmund but that shit is kind of awkward.

• Like 1

Point well taken. No better final match than a won World Cup final.

He could alwas get a proper sent off before some random game with flowers, victory lap and the fans lifting a giant jersey with number 16 and his name on it.

Are German players who retire from international competition vilified in Germany the way English players often are, for "being selfish" or other such twaddle?

Point well taken. No better final match than a won World Cup final.

He could alwas get a proper sent off before some random game with flowers, victory lap and the fans lifting a giant jersey with number 16 and his name on it.

Are German players who retire from international competition vilified in Germany the way English players often are, for "being selfish" or other such twaddle?

Not at all. In the past we had a far bigger problem with players not retiring than with players retiring. A player going out on top is far more welcome than a player overstaying his welcome. That´s what basically hurt Lothar Matthaeus way out of the German squad. I fear Miro Klose might become a similar case, although I don´t hope so.

Mag 7, St. Pauli has a similar structured fanbase, many people far left politically, quite often those guys are as bad when it comes to the "thinking in categories"-problem as the right wingers. Often one can only shake ones head when you hear what this people say talking politics. I think, Swayze put it quite well, black and white thinking could be the very reason of things going out of control in Gaza in the first place, black and white thinking is not going to help. Unfortunately it happens time and time again, the huge sailing event "Kieler Woche" in the city I live in exluded an already admitted Russian sailing boat because of the Ukraine-Russia-conflict earlier this summer.

About pre-season etc... I´ve been busy preparing exams, but just a few days ago learnt that the U19 European tournament is about to start. Bulgaria will be playing Germany today, the tournament will take place in Hungary. Tournament overview:

Group A

Portugal

Israel

Hungary

Austria

Group B

Germany

Bulgaria

Serbia

Ukraine

Weird to not see the usual suspects, especially the absence of Spain and England seems glaring. I know myself, definetly going to take a peek...

Zusi and Besler both re-up with Sporting KC on DP contracts. We never really heard what other options they've had, so it's hard to say whether this is best for them. Certainly some will argue that they're better off playing abroad. Klinsmann probably would be among that group. That said, of course the local response is very positive. 

I can't imagine that teams in top leagues would be all that eager to sign a couple of 27 year-olds that have never played outside the US.

You'd think. Zusi especially, I didn't quite see the interest in. But checking up on it more, Besler seemed to have options in the lower tier of the EPL, and higher end the championship. Sunderland and Fulham came up specifically. Not the best options, but I'm old enough to remember when any Euro team was considered a better option, and the default was to leave if you could.