DVDVR Message Board

July 2014 Soccer Thread

Guest Edwin

Oh boy.

The increasingly bizarre world of Leeds United has taken another turn for the strange after it emerged that Massimo Cellino, their maverick new owner, has such a dislike of the number 17 it has turned him against one of the club’s key players who was born on that date.

Cellino is so suspicious of the number 17 that he had the seats at his former club, Cagliari, taken out and replaced with 16B. Now he has instructed the new Leeds head coach, Dave Hockaday, not to select Paddy Kenny after discovering that the goalkeeper’s birthday is on 17 May and concluding that he is bad luck for the Championship club. Kenny, the second-highest earner at Leeds on £10,000 a week, has been left at home while the other players embark on a pre-season trip to Italy and he will not play for the club again.

Cellino, who also has a fear of purple, has separate issues about Kenny allegedly being overweight but is said to have reacted emotionally when he found out the 36-year-old goalkeeper had a connection with the number 17.

The paragraph at the end of that article is pretty outrageous too. Can't see why any current player would want to stay there.

Leeds are now embarking on a cost-cutting process that has seen the canteen at their training ground closed down, meaning the players have to take packed lunches or send out for sandwiches. The players are also being made to pay to have their kits washed. Hockaday will not have control of transfer business and Cellino intends to flood the squad with free signings and cheap Italian imports.

The season has officially started for one Scottish Premier League team, as Aberdeen won their first round Europa League qualifying first leg game against a Latvian side, 5-0.

My hometown team, Derry City also beat Aberystwyth Town 4-0 in the 1st leg of their Europa League qualifying match...

Absolutely not a single fucking one of you cares, right?

Well, dammit, I care.

• Like 3

Oh boy.

The increasingly bizarre world of Leeds United has taken another turn for the strange after it emerged that Massimo Cellino, their maverick new owner, has such a dislike of the number 17 it has turned him against one of the club’s key players who was born on that date.

Cellino is so suspicious of the number 17 that he had the seats at his former club, Cagliari, taken out and replaced with 16B. Now he has instructed the new Leeds head coach, Dave Hockaday, not to select Paddy Kenny after discovering that the goalkeeper’s birthday is on 17 May and concluding that he is bad luck for the Championship club. Kenny, the second-highest earner at Leeds on £10,000 a week, has been left at home while the other players embark on a pre-season trip to Italy and he will not play for the club again.

Cellino, who also has a fear of purple, has separate issues about Kenny allegedly being overweight but is said to have reacted emotionally when he found out the 36-year-old goalkeeper had a connection with the number 17.

I should start following the championship more!

Also, is anyone else baffled my Kroos going to Real as much as I am?

He plays deeper than those two, Illarramendi would go out on loan and Khedira would be sold. Kroos would probably split games with Modric and/or Xabi. I don't thin it makes much sense either but they could make it work.

Guest Edwin

I've been reading Khedira's leaving Real for the EPL. Arsenal has already set up a bid for him.

Barca and Liverpool have agreed on a £63mil deal for Suarez, however Liverpool are trying to lure Alexis in as part of the deal, but Alexis wants no part of Liverpool since he prefers a move to Arsenal instead.

That's the fee the Spanish press are throwing about, whereas Liverpool have leaked to the British press the release clause somewhere around £75m is what they've accepted. None of it makes any sense if they're trying to get Sanchez, though, as that would surely alter the fee. Lot of horseshit.

The idea of going from Luis Suarez to Klaas-Jan Huntelaar makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little. Hopefully it's paper bullshit, too.

Guest The Magnificent 7

The idea of going from Luis Suarez to Klaas-Jan Huntelaar makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little. Hopefully it's paper bullshit, too.

Why?  Huntelaar scores everywhere he goes, and he's a very good finisher.  Scoring record for Schalke is impressive.  He's also not a complete idiot like Suarez.  

He's 30 and is not the dynamic player we need in the mold of Suarez (like a Sanchez). He's a poacher, a great poacher but I think our team might be better off looking for something else.

Sanchez to Arsenal is essentially done and dusted, according to Spanish newspaper (and Barça mouthpiece) Sport:

1wHPxXi.jpg

Debuchy seems to be 99% agreed as well.  Remains to be seen whether anything materializes out of the speculation regarding moves for Schneiderlin and/or Khedira, as there is now renewed interest in Lars Bender (according to the Telegraph).  A striker to share duties up top with Giroud, and a backup central defender/keeper seem to be less pressing concerns at this point.

This hits me very much, the passing of Di Stefano. As a kid my mom used to tell me so much about Di Stefano, Puskas, Gento and all the European Cups won consecutively. In my head they were super heroes dressed in white as a kid. I think even when I finally got to see footage of him play all the stories helped inflate what I was seeing in my head. Incredible player, very sad that he has passed away. RIP Alfredo Di Stefano.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Di Stefano was one of the all time greats.  He was once asked if he had any superstitions.  He said something like "I always like to score the first goal in a European Cup Final."  Awesome. 

RIP