DVDVR Message Board

July 2014 Soccer Thread

Guest Edwin

Would love to believe that, but that price seems too good to be true.

Well, Kroos went to Madrid for roughly 40 million dollars. I think, in 2010 Özil to Real was about the same prize as Hummels would cost ManU. German players are comparably cheap. 

They probably don´t earn as much as you would think, either. The biggest deals we had were a player was transferred from a Bundesliga team to another were Götze going from Dortmund to Bayern and Gomez transfer from Stuttgart to Bayern, I believe. Bayern only in recent years started blowing out the cash, other teams never reached their spheres in the Bundesliga. In the BPL huge transfers of often quite unproven players seem weird, therefore the sums your teams pay for Bundesliga players seem lower than you´d expect.

Another thing is that Bundesliga players, especially the defenders, aren´t as flashy. If you buy star players with flair, you´ll probably get your fanbase to buy a bazillion t shirts. Had ManU bought Mario Götze, they could have shown repeats of the goal in the finals over and over and a lot of people would have lined up to get merchandise of the kid. Hummels is immense and a tank, kind of a fast, better looking Mertesacker, but I don´t think he will have the same marketable appeal as a creative midfielder or a striker. A BPL club of the magnitude of United will offer less for a guy like Hummels. My theory at least.

Apart from that, the website quotes a Spanish magazine. Spanish sports media often runs pretty rampant when the transfer window opens. I would take a wait-and-see approach. If they do take Hummels however, this would be a huge blow to Dortmund and their seemingly never ending rebuilding process. Big losses over the last years.

EDIT: Thoughts regarding what was mentioned earlier, that English players get villified when they retire from their international career. Maybe the performances of the Three Lions are a factor in that. With the BPL playing on European top level for most of the time, some football fans in England might feel that players don´t give it their all and stepping down to concentrate on the club level might be the ultimate proof to some I could imagine. To me this doesn´t make sense, though. Gerrard is a good and contemporary example. That guy is quite old. The BPL is very physical and he has a - probably final - chance to play Champion´s League. Plus he would obstruct the path for some young players who should take over slowly but surely. I think stepping down at a certain point is the right choice. How long has Gerrard been an international? 13 to 14 years?

• Like 1

Man City U-21 walk off after one of their players is racially abused.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28434345

I hate this stupid shit. Racial abuse has no point in football.

If you want to provoke or unsettle a guy like that young lad, make fun of his crazy hairdo. I like the reaction, though. The problem is, can this stuff be proven? If it actually was racial abuse by a player and it can be proven, the player needs to be punished in a way that shows stuff like that is not to be tolerated.

The other examples, while I support the reactions of teams, coaches and players whole-heartedly, are more difficult to handle. Of course you can ban the fans immediat- and permanently, but it might just aswell backfire and lead to fans disguising themselves doing that stupid shit or just going undercover in a great anonymous mass.

I´m really happy stuff has changed in Germany in that regard. It was up until the mid-nineties black players were greeted with monkey noises from opposing fans. This has changed drastically since the Bundesliga got progressively more popular. The last player who was constantly experiencing the crowd sounding like a bunch of apes was Oliver Kahn, and I definetly can´t see a racial background there.  

Just saw that RZ Pellets WAC drew 1-1 with Chelsea. Does this mean that RZ Pellets WAC could hold their own in the English Premier League? Should I be putting money on them for Champion's League glory in a few years, once they actually qualify?

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Good luck to Aberdeen, St. Johnstone, and Motherwell tomorrow.  Would really like to see them progress. 

Neither Sporting nor Man City can be bothered to play their starters - those that started to begin with - for more than a half, which I will use to obscure the fact that we're down 3-1, and our claim on the EPL hardcore championship (24/7 rules, naturally) will have to wait. *kicks can down an empty street*

Ahem. 4-1 now. Which is fine. I mean, we didn't want to win anyway. It's a friendly, yeah? Good hosting, letting the visitors score like this. The polite thing to do. The friendly thing, you might say.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Aberdeen through with an away win against Groningen, who finished 7th in the Eredivisie last year.  Well done to the Sheep, the SPFL is nowhere near as bad as that table server from Hispania made out.  ARMAGEDDON!

They'll face Real Sociedad next round.

Motherwell, of course, doing what they always do, struggling in a tie they should be doing better in.

St. Johnstone match probably going to pens.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah you're right.  It's somewhat grating if it weren't so predictable, though, that Motherwell with the easiest of all 3 ties, went out like that. 

Lasley gave up 2 penalties in the first leg, and McCall doesn't have a clue. 

Whatever happens in the next round, it's at least looking like some of the clubs are turning a corner and being competitive in Europe.  That away result for Aberdeen is nothing to sniff at.  I hope them, St. Johnstone, and Dundee United (who should be able to reinvest that Gauld and Robertson money) finish at the top so they can continue to build on it. 

Saints get Spartak Trnava in the next round.  That's a winnable tie.  Aberdeen has a difficult road. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

And just in case there's someone reading who is not familiar with McCall, at least he gave us this which will be gold 'til the end of time...