DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Am I the only one who liked Hogan's alternate Blue/white color scheme?

I've used that attire on CAWs from Shut Your Mouth up to 2K14. He should have used that color scheme more than he did.

I did the same thing as well when creating Hogan. I always liked the blue/white or all white better than the red and yellow..

I think Sting and Cena should be at WM31 the Franchise Player of WCW vs the Franchise Player of the WWE.

With special guest referee Shane Douglas!

I see Tommy as more of the real franchise of ECW. He seemed more like the franchise player of a "real" sports team; tough formative rookie years where he had to prove himself to the jaded fans, also he was around for the glory days would get his points but didnt mind sitting on the bench and letting the Stars getting in their minutes and on the highlight reels but he was the one who there until the bitter end still contributing showing up everyday even when the writing was on the wall. Douglas is more like Lebron to me he was the franchise but got increasingly more disillusioned and left at the first chance at a real opportunity, twice. 

I think he went with Shane Douglas because his nickname was "The Franchise"

• Like 2

I think Sting and Cena should be at WM31 the Franchise Player of WCW vs the Franchise Player of the WWE.

I see Tommy as more of the real franchise of ECW. He seemed more like the franchise player of a "real" sports team; tough formative rookie years where he had to prove himself to the jaded fans, also he was around for the glory days would get his points but didnt mind sitting on the bench and letting the Stars getting in their minutes and on the highlight reels but he was the one who there until the bitter end still contributing showing up everyday even when the writing was on the wall. Douglas is more like Lebron to me he was the franchise but got increasingly more disillusioned and left at the first chance at a real opportunity, twice. 

Tommy reminds me of the guy on the third or fourth line of an NHL team that never gets the accolades for most of his career but does all of the dirty work.  If Paul E. ever needed someone to put over a new guy or work a story and put someone over Tommy was that guy.  Never the most talented but put his heart out there and loved the business doing whatever needed to be done for the card to succeed including putting up his pickup truck as collateral if I remember one of the old ECW stories correctly.

• Like 1

Tommy reminds me of the guy on the third or fourth line of an NHL team that never gets the accolades for most of his career but does all of the dirty work.  If Paul E. ever needed someone to put over a new guy or work a story and put someone over Tommy was that guy.  Never the most talented but put his heart out there and loved the business doing whatever needed to be done for the card to succeed including putting up his pickup truck as collateral if I remember one of the old ECW stories correctly.

This is how I feel as well, Tommy isn't the superduper first line center or starting shooting guard he's the blue collar/hardhat guy on the 3rd or 4th line or 2nd or 3rd guy off the bench who is the biggest fan favorite on the team. Tommy was the Udonis Haslem or Darren McCarty of ECW.

Jim Ross spoke about how Muta was used.

Reading recently about the Great Muta, it reminded me of the time when I was on the WCW Booking Asylum, Er, Committee and I suggested that the handsome, young and talented Kenji Muta might make a great protagonist at some point in his WCW run. The look on the faces of many of my peers reminded me of what it must have been like when it was suggested to Caucasian wrestling territory owners that African American wrestlers be put into positions of prominence in the territory. I was passionately reminded that American wrestling fans would NEVER support a Japanese protagonist thanks to December 7, 1941 and the attack on Pearl Harbor. Forget that moment occurred almost half a century before as the idea wasn't embraced and never fully materialized. I just know that Muta was a star and without the face paint back in the late 80's the ladies in the CNN Center in Atlanta loved the guy.

https://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/one-drunk-fan-spirit-squad-eddy-dvd-muta-hero-stone-colds-cross-country-road-trip

I am not sure where to post this, and I may do this again in the coming weeks, but we are doing a feud retrospective for a podcast that I am an occasional contributor.

One of the first feuds I suggested was Foley and HHH as I feel there is a lot of ground to cover there.

This is what I thought was the key stuff to cover with it. Am I missing anything?

1) King of the Ring 1997

2) Canadian Stampede

3) Summerslam 1997 (Cage Match)

4) MSG RAW (Cactus Jack Debut)

5) Summerslam 1999 Main Event (Triple Threat for WWF Title)

6) RAW the next night (HHH's First Title Win)

7) Royal Rumble 2000

8) No Way Out 2000

I know there's the Mania 2000 angle, but I am not sure that is necessary for this discussion.

I would ignore 5) and 6).  The feud there was Austin vs. HHH.  Foley was only stuck in there at the last minute so Jesse could raise a face's hand. 

If you can find them, I'd replace them with the Rock/Mankind "loser gets fired" RAW match that restarted the HHH feud from 12/27/99 and the DX vs. Rock/Mankind/Acolytes RAW match from 1/10/00 where HHH just DESTROYS Foley to set up the Rumble match.

Not sure if you're doing angles or just matches, but I'd make a case for including the big Cactus Jack reveal on Smackdown prior to the Rumble match where he takes off the Mankind mask and does the Superman shirt rip. Something about that always stuck with me for some reason.

I think Sting and Cena should be at WM31 the Franchise Player of WCW vs the Franchise Player of the WWE. They should tag before hand and have even if for a week a Tag title run.

I again ask that you please stop spying on my EWR shit.

Teaming with Sting is the only way Cena will ever turn heel. It'll be completely involuntary and he'll have no idea why he did it but he will.

I checked the Cagematch database for Sting tag partners.  (I'm assuming it includes all tag matches and not just four-man tag matches.) 

#1 is Lex Luger with 154 matches.  How many times did Lex turn on Sting? 

#2 is Dustin Rhodes with 44 matches.  Not turning on Sting is what drove him to go nuts and become Goldust.  Seeing Sting in TNA made him recall the drama and led him to become Black Reign. 

#3 is Ricky Steamboat with 32 matches.  If he hadn't been injured, would he have inevitably turned on Sting? 

#4 is Randy Savage with 29 matches. 

#5 is a tie at 27 matches for Davey Boy Smith and El Gigante.  Sting and El Gigante won 100% of the matches where they teamed together.

And here I am thinking we were past the point of people STILL caring about Sting in 20-goddamn-14. He is old, has paper knees, and isn't a wrestling name to anyone who didn't watch WCW... Especially almost 20 years past his prime. It's hard to watch Taker try to still go. It will be embarrassing for Sting like that turd that won't flush aka RVD.

Give it a break.

And here I am thinking we were past the point of people STILL caring about Sting in 20-goddamn-14. He is old, has paper knees, and isn't a wrestling name to anyone who didn't watch WCW... Especially almost 20 years past his prime. It's hard to watch Taker try to still go. It will be embarrassing for Sting like that turd that won't flush aka RVD.

Give it a break.

That's an interesting point. It's been over 13 years since Sting was on a wrestling program that drew better than a 1.0 on a weekly basis. 

If Sting shows up on Raw, would it be better to have Damien Sandow dress up as Sting or to have Sandow dress up as one of Sting's contemporaries and try to turn on him?

It would pale in comparison to Monty Brown as Sting.

• Like 1

Probably one of those CCM songs he used in TNA after he found religion. Christian bands probably don't have a high price tag for licensing, right? Hell, have Vince remember the huge boner he had for Creed all those years ago and give Sting one of their songs.