DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: MAY

RIPPA

I'm not going to get too angry at the Yankees. After all, their rotation is a trainwreck after Tanaka and Kuroda, and Sabathia has a degenerative knee condition and is owed (roughly) $69 million (at least) over the next three seasons. Worth noting - the stipulations in his vesting option only cover a shoulder injury and not a knee injury. Well done.

When a guy signs a huge contract like A-Rod and CC and then opts out halfway through does it ever make sense to give them a new contract?  I say just let them walk since they probably were only going to be productive for the length of the original contract and you giving them what essentially is a 4-5 year contract extension at the same pay rate is just crazy.  Paying guys into their 40's as the highest paid players in baseball post steroid era makes no sense.

It depends when the opt out is, obviously. Toronto would have loved to bring A.J. Burnett back after he opted out in 08. J.D. Drew opted out of his deal with the Dodgers, and didn't really crater with Boston until his last year of the contract. Tanaka's deal has an opt-out after 2017 - the Yankees only have three players (excluding him) signed for 2018. You think the Yankees won't back up the truck if he stays healthy? They'll probably tack another five years and $125 million onto that, and we'll see what happens. But what else can they do? Their farm system isn't exactly full of high-end talent, they don't have a franchise icon anymore, Cashman will probably be closer to retirement and wanting one more ring...logic isn't the primary decider when it comes to handing out huge contracts.

There is something nice about having baseball on at 12:30 in the afternoon (even if it is Reds vs. Padres)

At some point folks will start to realize Johnny Cueto exists

There is something nice about having baseball on at 12:30 in the afternoon (even if it is Reds vs. Padres)

At some point folks will start to realize Johnny Cueto exists

12:30 (well, 1:30) baseball with an organist instead of "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS!" is one of those things that can, like, reboot and defrag your entire brain.

The goodness that is getaway day in Major League Baseball. 

Well it was supposed to be a getaway day game but they have to play a DH due to yesterday being postponned

But even then its wacky since the 2nd game starts at 6:30 EST

So if you're a Rangers fan then [Wade Barrett] I'M AFRAID I'VE GOT BAD NEWS [/Wade Barrett]

Martin Perez might need Tommy john surgery, and Matt Harrison might need spinal fusion

The Yanks and Pirates are playing a traditional single-admission doubleheader tomorrow thanks to a rain out Friday and tomorrow being Sunday.

It's the first time since 2004 that they have done that at Yankee Stadium

• Like 1

Today in KC, they are doing a Negro League throwback game, with Monarchs vs Baltimore Elite Giants.

They are also encouraging people to "dress to the nines" and the first 1000 people will get fedoras.

They are also encouraging people to "dress to the nines" and the first 1000 people will get fedoras.

That might be the greatest give away ever

Was at Coors today when the Rockies turned that triple play.  Third out called on interference.  Hasn't happened since 1905.

Oh and there were three challenges and I don't know how I feel about that.