DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: MAY

RIPPA

@ESPNStatsInfo @EliasSports Jeff Samardzija is only pitcher in MLB history with ERA below 1.50 & 0 wins in 1st 10 starts of season

@ESPNStatsInfo @EliasSports Jeff Samardzija is only pitcher in MLB history with ERA below 1.50 & 0 wins in 1st 10 starts of season

Heck, he's the only guy with an ERA under 2.00 and winless after 10 starts.  Next closest is like 2.25 or something.

10 starts, 17 runs. Lemme repeat that - 10 starts, 17 runs.

The only starters with less: Volquez, Cashner (lol), Gonzalez, Liriano, Wood (NOT KERRY), Ross (Robbie). On a per nine basis, only Cashner, Wood, Liriano, and Ross have less. That's...depressing.

I've never seen a pitcher this good where his offense fails him this much. It's astounding.

For a full season, there's a few guys that got killed by their offenses.  Jim Abbott seemed to deal with that a lot, particularly in 1992 when he went 7-15 with a 2.77 ERA.  Nolan Ryan is probably the most famous example of recent vintage - he had a great season in 1987, leading the league in ERA, K, K/9, ERA+, H/9, and generally being dominant.  He finished with an 8-16 record, by far the worst-ever for an ERA champion.

Sounds like Prince Fielder will be getting season ending neck surgery. Paging Kendrys Morales.....

What they were saying last night on ESPN is that the Rangers have so many holes to fill that they may not bother filling this one (by picking up Morales, for example).

I do wonder if the Tigers had a hint of something regarding Fielder before trading him.  Or did he actually DO something to get hurt?  Either way, I was ecstatic when the Tigers made the trade and this (very bad for Prince, obviously) news only reinforces that.

I've never seen a pitcher this good where his offense fails him this much. It's astounding.

carlton's 1972 season for the Phillies?

Found this on baseball reference

https://www.lineupforms.com/best-bad-team-pitchers-of-all-time.html

n 1972, Carlton had the bad team pitcher season all others are compared to. It was his first year with the hapless Phillies, and he learned early on if he was going to win a game he was going to have to finish it himself. Pitching primarily on three days rest, Lefty had 30 complete games, including three extra-inning efforts. That’s 346 innings total of 1.97 ERA pitching with a league leading 310 ks. His 27 wins were almost half of his team’s 59 total victories — the highest such percentage in modern baseball history — and earned him the National League Cy Young. The next winning-est pitcher on Philadelphia’s staff had seven victories.

carlton's 1972 season for the Phillies?

Found this on baseball reference

https://www.lineupforms.com/best-bad-team-pitchers-of-all-time.html

n 1972, Carlton had the bad team pitcher season all others are compared to. It was his first year with the hapless Phillies, and he learned early on if he was going to win a game he was going to have to finish it himself. Pitching primarily on three days rest, Lefty had 30 complete games, including three extra-inning efforts. That’s 346 innings total of 1.97 ERA pitching with a league leading 310 ks. His 27 wins were almost half of his team’s 59 total victories — the highest such percentage in modern baseball history — and earned him the National League Cy Young. The next winning-est pitcher on Philadelphia’s staff had seven victories.

The Phillies scored 152 runs in Carlton's 41 starts - hardly earth-shattering but nowhere near the worst ever, either.

My former employers are in first place. This is awesome. If they can make a move for another starter, I don't know if anyone can actually overtake them with that offense. Oh, except for injuries. Damn it.

Shark is being targeted by the Giants, but he won't get traded there unless Kyle Crick is involved.

Also, on Carlton's '72 season, it should be noted that the 152 runs he got in his 41 starts came when he threw 346 1/3 INNINGS. He AVERAGED 8 1/3 innings per start.

Shark has done his in 68 innings and is on pace for 210 or so. The ratio is 4 innings pitched to 1 run of support for him while Carlton is 2.28:1.

Carlton, by all means, really HAD to throw nearly a complete game every time out in order to have one of the greatest statistical seasons of all time. So while Shark's luck is unbelievably bad, for Carlton's time (only a couple years after the mound was lowered) that was about as bad as it got.

Some more 1972 Carlton fun:

• 9 of his 27 wins had final scores of 2-1, 2-0, or 1-0.
  • In 5 of his 10 losses, the Phillies scored 1 or 0 runs.
  • The other Phillies starting pitchers had records of: 2-15, 4-14, 4-10.