DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: MAY

RIPPA

Mariners vs Astros tomorrow. That'll be one for the ages. It sure was nice of Houston to switch leagues so that the M's wouldn't always be in the cellar.

I hope that does not give JJ Abrams any ideas.

----

For anyone wondering how bad yhe weather was on the east coast, quadruple postponements in baltimore, philly, nyc and boston last night.

Mariners vs Astros tomorrow. That'll be one for the ages. It sure was nice of Houston to switch leagues so that the M's wouldn't always be in the cellar.

I think you can make the argument that the Astros future looks brighter than the Ms right now.

Javier Baez was hit by a pitch in his game with the Iowa Cubs last night. Most guys would take their base, some would stare down the pitcher, Javy? He argued with the ump that he wasn't hit, preferring to hit the ball instead. Yeah, it's kinda dumb, but I love his swagger. He took his base and, I believe, proceeded to steal 2nd and then 3rd base.

Fuck yeah.

The Cubs won last night, Rizzo and Castro have both bounced back, and that's about all I got.

Rizzo hasn't just bounced back, he's playing at a ridiculously high level right now. His fielding is still tops in the NL at first, but he's walking way more, and most importantly he's absolutely crushing lefties and succeeding against the shift. The lefties thing is a small sample size, but even against that small a sample size last year Rizzo would have had paltry numbers.

• Like 1

The Cubs won last night, Rizzo and Castro have both bounced back, and that's about all I got.

Rizzo hasn't just bounced back, he's playing at a ridiculously high level right now. His fielding is still tops in the NL at first, but he's walking way more, and most importantly he's absolutely crushing lefties and succeeding against the shift. The lefties thing is a small sample size, but even against that small a sample size last year Rizzo would have had paltry numbers.

You got the crushing lefties part correct.  But he's been wretched against righties - hitting just .230 with a .377 SLG.  Hard to fathom a lefty hitter being that terrible against righthanded pitching.  It all sums up to a .283 avg with an OPS+ of 137.  That's really good but "ridiculously high level" is overstating things just a bit.

You got the crushing lefties part correct.  But he's been wretched against righties - hitting just .230 with a .377 SLG.  Hard to fathom a lefty hitter being that terrible against righthanded pitching.  It all sums up to a .283 avg with an OPS+ of 137.  That's really good but "ridiculously high level" is overstating things just a bit.

He's killing St. Louis' ace today.

EDIT: I would also suggest you re-evaluate how good Rizzo is playing right now. His batting average and slugging don't paint a complete picture of his performance against righties. 

The thing about small sample sizes is that one game can easily put them where they belong. Rizzo's day today (2/2, homer, walk) has pushed his statline from .283/.407/.457 to .298/.422/.500. Some back of the envelope math tells me that his line against righties has now gone from .230/.373/.377 to .254/.397/.444. Yeah, that'll do.

Also, it's worth pointing out that in his last two games, Rizzo is 3 for 3 with 2 HR, 5 R, 5 RBI, and 5 BB. I'd quote the tweet that came from, but I have no idea how to do so. I also knew he was having a nice little run, but didn't realize he was doing that well. 

EDIT: I would also suggest you re-evaluate how good Rizzo is playing right now. His batting average and slugging don't paint a complete picture of his performance against righties. 

It sounds an awful lot like your fawning over a dude who got hot for a couple games and are now calling his play "ridiculously high level".  Uh, no.  Ridiculously high level is what Miguel Cabrera has done, I dunno, his last 1500 games.  And where would Rizzo's hitting this season fall in the spectrum of Miguel Cabrera's career?  At the bottom, ahead (just barely) of just his rookie season and his first year in Detroit.  And not even in the same stratosphere as his last four full seasons.

In other words?  Pipe down, son, he's just having a nice week. :)

• Like 1