Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread


 Share

Recommended Posts

Who was this Eric Shelley from the WWF LHW tournament?

What happened with Jerry Lynn that he fell through?

Also Flash Flanagan? Really? He seems like an odd choice for that tournament, but then again that entire thing was a disaster. Flanagan was good, but he just didn't fit the mold of what they originally were looking for or what they portrayed they were originally looking for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

What happened with Jerry Lynn that he fell through?

Also Flash Flanagan? Really? He seems like an odd choice for that tournament, but then again that entire thing was a disaster. Flanagan was good, but he just didn't fit the mold of what they originally were looking for or what they portrayed they were originally looking for.

IIRC, Lynn worked a set of tapings or two after leaving WCW. the WWF didn't offer him a contract, so he bounced to ECW. Then they contacted him about the tournament but he had already signed in Philly. my guess is that they advertised him, assuming he'd be willing to come back again before they called him.

as far as Flash? well, someone had to lose to Jerry Lawler's son. i don't remember him having more than 2-3 matches with the WWF anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:48 AM, Edwin said:

Who was this Eric Shelley from the WWF LHW tournament?

What happened with Jerry Lynn that he fell through?

Also Flash Flanagan? Really? He seems like an odd choice for that tournament, but then again that entire thing was a disaster. Flanagan was good, but he just didn't fit the mold of what they originally were looking for or what they portrayed they were originally looking for.

Eric Shelley was a Montreal-based worker and the son of Len Shelley, a wrestler and promoter. Given his tournament match with Scott Taylor took place in Cornwall, Ontario, I'm presuming the WWF was looking for a local guy for Taylor to put over.

Looking at Cagematch, Flanagan had a couple of matches in the WWF during the Attitude Era. Highlights include a dark match against One Man Gang (who got a tryout in 1998), and a Hardcore title shot against Bob Holly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on whether the promotion bothers to ask for it back or not (usually they've gone out of business, so they don't). Often whoever physically possesses the strap when it's abandoned keeps it, or sells it to another wrestler/ promotion. None of the three belts that comprise the AJPW Triple Crown originated in AJPW, did they? The old WWF Light Heavyweight title ended up being defended in Japan, becoming incorporated into the J Crown, and defended on WCW Nitro.

I think everyone who was holding a belt when WCW died got hired by WWE afterwards, so they could get those for the eventual HoF building. But Pillman's Light Heavy belt from before the Cruiserweight era is probably... being hidden by someone.

Of course, the other issue is, which belt is the belt? When Warrior was changing the colour of the strap on his IC title every few weeks, how many of those belts are officially the Intercontinental Championship, and how many are copies? Because the champ had the belt on telly... but there's only one championship, so how can there be multiple belts representing the Championship?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

What happens to the actual physical belts after they are retired, like the WCW World Light Heavyweight Championship?

Whoever has them last, presumably keeps them. RVD used the old winged eagle ECW TV title at a recent Comic Con, and Kidman posted a pic of the WCW Cruiser tag on Twitter a few months back. Unlike today, where everyone puts the belts back into the road case (depressingly shown in the Bryan doc, where he's on cloud nine, and then stores it prior to showering), I'm guessing the last champs have them. Which, if I remember correctly, was why RVD had a replica strap in '06, because they couldn't get it back from Rhyno(?), when he was duel champ. 

On a side note, it'll seem like a minor discrepancy, but why is Becky sporting a replica belt still? That's embarrassing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've asked this before, but its been awhile so maybe someone new may know.

I can not for the life of me find any details whatsoever of a wrestling event that I went to around 1991. I have no recollection of the promotion, however from research I think it was South Atlantic Pro Wrestling (it may have also been the North American Wrestling Association). I think this because I remember the Nasty Boys and Steamboat being there, but it was not a WCW or WWF show, and both of them wrestled for that promotion. The event took place in Hampton, VA at the Langley Speedway, and it was memorable because it rained. Which was an issue because it was an outdoor event. Unfortunately since I was so young, that is what I remember, as they kept wrestling anyway and it probably wasn't the safest thing in the world. It may have been on this leg, but cagematch only has one event in VA, up in Richmond.

I can't remember anything else about it (date, matches, why it happened) so if anyone has a better source than me (maybe WO mentioned the tour at least and its in the backlogs) I'd appreciate it :) I have a listing for every other event I went to but this one, even though wrestling came to my area a lot as a kid since I grew up in WCW Country, we were a pretty poor family so I we only went to events every two or three years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

On a side note, it'll seem like a minor discrepancy, but why is Becky sporting a replica belt still? That's embarrassing. 

THANK YOU!  I thought I was the only one that noticed that.   It's so obvious when they use a replica that I can't believe they think people don't notice.

On the indy level, since I footed the bill for it, the Elite title came back to me once we were done with it.  I have two other belts out there that are supposed to come back if the promotion discontinues them or goes out of business, but who knows if that'll ever happen.  The ECCW Championship would eventually have done the same, but I officially sold it to ECCW earlier this year.  (Hey, look, indies in Canada pay their bills better than TNA.)

In general, belts are supposed to go back to whoever's footing the bill for the promotion at that point, but things happen.  Rhyno said someone robbed him and stole the ECW TV title (and not the World title, oddly).  Kidman ended up with a WCW cruiserweight tag team title belt, and I'm assuming Rey still has the other.\

Regarding which belt is considered "the" belt, considering WWE has several copies of some belts, including TV, PPV and road versions, that question's become nearly impossible to answer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am watching old ECW, were any of Sabu's scars.... not gotten via wrestling? He is covered in them but I've never seen the matches where he got cut up that bad. I know he did some barbed wire matches in FMW and I've seen the ones that made tape, in none of them did he get cut up how he looks by 1996. Not all FMW barbed wire matches made tape, did they happen on matches not televised or were they obtained/manufactured some other way?

I just find it unusual that he is covered like that but other FMW wrestlers aren't, even Onita doesn't have the scar tissue that Sabu has. I suppose his scars stayed more visible since he liked to use super glue instead of getting them taken care of at a doctor's, it just seems a bit suspicious.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2016 at 2:36 PM, HumanChessgame said:

How exactly are belts made?  Are there companies that just make belts for wrestling, rodeos, boxing, etc or do the same places that you order trophies from typically make them as well?

Verne Gagne actually contracted a prison to make one of the old AWA belts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2016 at 1:58 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

THANK YOU!  I thought I was the only one that noticed that.   It's so obvious when they use a replica that I can't believe they think people don't notice.

On the indy level, since I footed the bill for it, the Elite title came back to me once we were done with it.  I have two other belts out there that are supposed to come back if the promotion discontinues them or goes out of business, but who knows if that'll ever happen.  The ECCW Championship would eventually have done the same, but I officially sold it to ECCW earlier this year.  (Hey, look, indies in Canada pay their bills better than TNA.)

In general, belts are supposed to go back to whoever's footing the bill for the promotion at that point, but things happen.  Rhyno said someone robbed him and stole the ECW TV title (and not the World title, oddly).  Kidman ended up with a WCW cruiserweight tag team title belt, and I'm assuming Rey still has the other.\

Regarding which belt is considered "the" belt, considering WWE has several copies of some belts, including TV, PPV and road versions, that question's become nearly impossible to answer.  

IIRC, Scott Steiner still has the original big gold belt. You'd think Flair would've tried to get it back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2016 at 10:48 AM, Edwin said:

Who was this Eric Shelley from the WWF LHW tournament?

What happened with Jerry Lynn that he fell through?

Also Flash Flanagan? Really? He seems like an odd choice for that tournament, but then again that entire thing was a disaster. Flanagan was good, but he just didn't fit the mold of what they originally were looking for or what they portrayed they were originally looking for.

Sorry, but we will not be disrespecting the good name of Flash Flanagan here. Not after this bump:

http://imgur.com/ywpQ9ZX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2016 at 4:06 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

I am watching old ECW, were any of Sabu's scars.... not gotten via wrestling? He is covered in them but I've never seen the matches where he got cut up that bad. I know he did some barbed wire matches in FMW and I've seen the ones that made tape, in none of them did he get cut up how he looks by 1996. Not all FMW barbed wire matches made tape, did they happen on matches not televised or were they obtained/manufactured some other way?

I just find it unusual that he is covered like that but other FMW wrestlers aren't, even Onita doesn't have the scar tissue that Sabu has. I suppose his scars stayed more visible since he liked to use super glue instead of getting them taken care of at a doctor's, it just seems a bit suspicious.

Great question.  Maybe I'll ask him or RVD on twitter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always assumed Sabu's Lebanese heritage causes his scars to keloid up more. I remember reading a long ago interview in which he mentioned they were from an early Japan tour, and he regretted not getting them treated properly. He was too mindful of impressing his uncle, who scolded him anyway about it.

- RAF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...