DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

I think I saw 5 or 6 Anderson matches from the G1 this year. It was the usual - boring start and middle followed by goofy reversal heavy finishes. His best match was against an injured Ishii and Ishii was clearly the better guy in that match. Being better than Shelton and Lance Archer doesn't exactly mean much.

Really like Disco on Konnan's podcast. Much less of a dipshit than you'd expect. Now, Konnan and Disco Inferno (and those other guys) have some pretty whacked out ideas of what modern wrestling should be and they're definitely still in that Monday Night War-era mindset but fairly entertaining.

Agreed, he fits in well.  I love listening to Konnan and a lot of the guests they have, and I actually like MSL as the "host" (yes, I realize how much some people hate him).....the 3 of them are funny together.  I was getting really sick of Court Bauer so I'm glad he appears to be gone.  Too often it would become "The Court Bauer Show" when it's really Konnan's show and the best ones are where everyone is contributing equally to the conversation

I can't handle Jim Ross' show and need to be in a very particular mood to put up with his repetitive soapboxing.  I don't get how a guy with so much broadcast experience can't conduct a better interview.  He interrupts his guests and interjects way too much with his opinions and tries to lead his guests into agreeing with him like he needs their validation.  This was super annoying in the Sting ones and Steve seemed too polite because he'd just be like "yeaaaa" and not run with any of the bullshit talking points Ross was interrupting with.  When he actually asked some questions and let Sting talk it was good

• Like 1

I feel like JR SWERVED~! the IWC.  For years, he was held up as a paragon of virtue within the company who was unfairly maligned by Vince and his cronies.  Now, when people see that he's more opinionated than the jolly good ol' boy he played on tv, they are taken aback.  For what its worth, I like JR's podcast.  His random (borderline offensive) Jim Barnett impressions always crack me up.

During the few moments when Ross is enjoying himself he's great . Otherwise he stinks at doing both interviews or telling stories. A sense of joy is nessecery for a good show. Being one of the greatest wrestling announcers ever doesn't mean shit in this medium.

That being said, Id listen the fuck out of a Lance Russell Show . Or the Gordon Solie Show just as long as he was drunk.

• Like 1

I feel like JR SWERVED~! the IWC.  For years, he was held up as a paragon of virtue within the company who was unfairly maligned by Vince and his cronies.  Now, when people see that he's more opinionated than the jolly good ol' boy he played on tv, they are taken aback.  For what its worth, I like JR's podcast.  His random (borderline offensive) Jim Barnett impressions always crack me up.

Everybody from that era has a Jim Barnett impression. Just like how anybody in the past 30 years has a Dusty impression.

Man, I've been plowing through the Ross Report and was ready to come in here and rip it apart for his repetitive, often times contradicting and hypocritical bullshit ("HEELS NEED TO BE HEELS! NO FLASHY STUFF!" five minutes later: "Bobby Eaton was one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time." Eaton was rad but let's not kid that he wrestled like a heel other than stooging. Or, how about "we need a focus on matches, cut out the backstage skits and comedy stuff" only then to go on to say "fans pay too much attention to wins and losses." What?) opening monologues and just how fucking terrible an interviewer he is (leading questions, cutting off guests to get his shit in, making it more about him than his guests, asking about five same questions to every guess - I don't need to know what Michelle Beadle thinks of Chris Benoit, man) but you all have covered my complaints well enough. Christ, I'm only listening now just to hear the three or four minutes of good stuff that sneaks its way into the shows. I knew Jim Ross was a cynical jerk from the snippets here and there and that the whole "Good ol' JR" stuff was a gimmick, but fuck is he a miserable human being.

Anyway, AJ Styles, when given a chance to speak his mind, impressed me. I always thought of him as the spotmachine, athletic indy movez guy but he's really turned into a good pro wrestler.

He also thinks he's way smarter than he is with the "it's only logic" sarcasm. The few booking ideas he's put forth (the best one: have the Undertaker, who hadn't yet lost to Brock, beat a heel Cena - FOR THE GOLD - at WM and retire the next night, vacating the belt in the process) are just hilariously bad. I wanted to like the guy and his show but, nah, I'm good. He actually seems to be getting progressively worse. I thought the AJ interview was his worst then I listened to Sting part one and was rolling my eyes half of the time. Somebody said Stinger's a super nice guy so he let JR's shit fly but I felt like there was some frustration in his voice at times but that may be me projecting.

Anyway, to make an effort to balance things out, 75% of his complaints (that are repeated every.single.episode) are pretty accurate. He's just a joyless so and so in voicing them the way and amount of times he does. The worst interviewer as well.

I started to turn the corner on AJ when I heard Meltzer and Alvarez interview him a little while back.  He came across as just really nice and, dare I say, intelligent.  Far from "THE GAY COMMUNITY?!?!?!?" AJ of old.

But I just heard him on the latest "Talkin' Shop" where he pops off on Obama "givin' money to people who don't work" and, nah, his just the same ignorant cracker I always figured him to be.

On the "Ross is a miserable human being tip," I think the dude needs a ton of professional help.  He makes  a lot of references to his dad taking him to the woodshed and holy shit, the story about his father making him drown a bag of puppies was fucking horrifying. 

Schiavone on the Ross Report. Skip through about 25min of JR's usual opening stuff. I'm sure Ross will hit his usual bullshit, although it may not totally work on a guy who has been doing UGA football for 10yrs instead of watching WWE.

----

Not sure where i'd rank "Bill Watts had an electric pencil sharpener before anybody else" for random tidbits one could say about someone else.

But yeah, Schiavone is amazingly casual in this setting too. Schiavone's answer on Heenan too, wow.

Just listened to Ross's interview with Schiavone. I haven't listened to much of Ross's podcast because I find him to be a shockingly bad host and I felt the same today. I skipped the first half hour to get to the Schiavone part. I wish someone other than JR had conducted the interview but still found it worth the listen. Tony was an easy listen and came off really likable. I was impressed that Schiavone was willing to take the whole blame for Bobby bad mouthing him in various interviews and Tony admitted to not doing things the right way. He also seemed pretty upset about everything that transpired around the time period that WCW let go of Heenan.

I'm about 30 mins into the actual Tony interview and it's the best thing I've heard Ross done. They're mainly just shooting the shit and trying to remember things, and for once, his criticisms are totally valid. It has to be the most tedious thing in the world to be an announcer in the social media 9.99 era.