DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I'm now watching King of the Ring 2001. Was there any reason why DDP was completely buried by Undertaker when he came in? I remember the reveal of him being Sara's stalker was quite hot. Then they're building up a confrontation with DDP at ringside the whole time. Then Undertaker comes out and beats the shit out of him for 5 minutes straight. Why would they need to have any match after that? I seem to recall the entire DDP/Undertaker feud going the same way, with Sara also getting a pin on DDP at some point, and then DDP and Kanyon getting squashed by Taker and Kane in a tag match at SummerSlam. DDP was just never given any sort of real chance in WWF. Anybody know why that is?

Had to make sure DDP paid his dues.

I'm now watching King of the Ring 2001. Was there any reason why DDP was completely buried by Undertaker when he came in? I remember the reveal of him being Sara's stalker was quite hot. Then they're building up a confrontation with DDP at ringside the whole time. Then Undertaker comes out and beats the shit out of him for 5 minutes straight. Why would they need to have any match after that? I seem to recall the entire DDP/Undertaker feud going the same way, with Sara also getting a pin on DDP at some point, and then DDP and Kanyon getting squashed by Taker and Kane in a tag match at SummerSlam. DDP was just never given any sort of real chance in WWF. Anybody know why that is?

It's been a while but I remember that pretty much being how all of the wrestlers that came over post-acquisition from WCW being more or less treated. The only real exceptions being when Goldberg and the nWo finally came in.

Tommy Dreamers outfit at Heat Wave 99 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

You clearly haven't seen Tommy Dreamer on the 1993/1994 Hardcore TV shows :lol:

I have but those suspender tights are nothing compared to that shiny shirt those shorts and fucking work boots.

Watching that Best of Smackdown too, Lance Storm vs Mark Henry was really good for a short TV match. Weird seeing Henry do the World's Strongest Slam (out of a military press, no less) and it not be a finish or even a near fall.

Very interesting episode of Smackdown on the Live Stream right now. It's the in-ring debut of Batista in a tag match with D-Von against Farooq and a very young rookie Randy Orton. Also on this episode is John Cena's debut match with Kurt Angle. They also showed a video package for the soon to be debuting Rey Mysterio. Quite a transition year with a bunch of fresh guys that would change the face of the company forever.

Really liked 2002 in WWE, lots of great stuff throughout the year and an awesome stacked roster

• Like 2

Very interesting episode of Smackdown on the Live Stream right now. It's the in-ring debut of Batista in a tag match with D-Von against Farooq and a very young rookie Randy Orton. Also on this episode is John Cena's debut match with Kurt Angle. They also showed a video package for the soon to be debuting Rey Mysterio. Quite a transition year with a bunch of fresh guys that would change the face of the company forever.

Really liked 2002 in WWE, lots of great stuff throughout the year and an awesome stacked roster

Looking back on it, 2002 was better than it was received at the time. Sure, there was Katie Vick and all that, but Smackdown was terrific and it's neat to see the transition of the Attitude Era guys to some of the bigger names in the current era.

• Like 2

I will go on record and say the 6-man battle royal on the 1/15/83 World Class show may be the worst main event I have ever seen that featured actual names.  At least when some matches fail spectacularly, you can go back and laugh at it later, but considering the talent, the booking here was atrocious.  It's Andre the Giant, Kerry Von Erich, Terry Gordy, King Kong Bundy, Bugsy McGraw, and Bill Irwin.  And literally nothing happens for about 90% of it.  And it just drags on and on and on.

I'm trying to watch as many of the WrestleManias as possible before 30, there's so much I haven't seen. Starting with the first, I actually thought it was a pretty damn good show although it really doesn't get much talk in terms of the better Manias. Granted, there's no real long or great matches, but it's a really easy show to watch - perfect for a new fanbase. The only really bad match was Andre vs Studd, and I was actually surprised by how good Beefcake vs Sammartino was, shmoz finish aside. David's strikes were a little pony, but I really dug Beefcake's elbow smashes in the corner, and in general he seemed really competent here. Tito vs Executioner and Steamboat vs Matt Borne were really fun short matches too. Leilani Kai vs Wendy Richter was a bit rough and scrappy in some of the execution, but it was actually pretty decent with some genuinely good near falls towards the end.

The main event is a pretty damn good match, although the two referee deal and the managers constantly interfering towards the end makes it a little messy. That aside, I really enjoyed it and thought Mr T did really well for a non-worker. The couple of times he was struggling to get in to the ring to help out Hogan, he put on a better effort than most actual wrestlers would do these days, he really looked like he actually gave a shit and really wanted to help out his buddy. The heels were typically great, Orndorff taking big bumps for T's headbutts was a lot of fun in particular.

Yesterday I watched part of a MSG show from 1984-ish.

It had David Sammartino's debut. The insisted on calling him David BRUNO Sammartino and it was clunky and ineffective, sort of like David. 

Valentine v. Tito for the IC title was awesome.I don't remember much about Tito outside of the Can/Am Connection, Strike Force and Matador stuff, but man he had great fire in this match. Loved it.

But my favorite thing was Dick Murdoch v. Samoan number 1. It was mostly a comedy match, but goddamn Murdoch was brilliant. I'd never seen him really do his thing before outside of the Mid-South Dibiase-Flair angle, so this was pretty fun. Loved his rubber-legged, too-dazed-to-stand-upright thing. 

Is there any reason why the bret hart/Undertaker match is missing from One Night Only 1997?

They're using the home video release of One Night Only, which was two hours and didn't feature said Bret/Undertaker match, instead of the three hour actual pay-per-view version. I don't know the reasoning behind that, maybe the master tape just isn't high enough quality to show.

Watching this one now, and if we ever get that Cena-Taker Wrestlemania match, they should tie in the fact that Big Evil Taker approached Cena in the back to shake his hand afterwards.

The Mick Foley documentary from 2012/2013 is great stuff.  I had no idea that Mick Foley was a amateur wrestler and was a teammate of Kevin James.   Also didn't know that Foley was a regular jobber for the WWF and not just the one timer with the Bulldogs.   The WCW story where apparently wrestlers were using matches with Vader as excuses to acquire the Lloyds of London insurance claim was great.   And the footage of Germany where you can see the actual ear fall off was :o

The only negative I have is that I can't stop looking at the green middle tooth.  God only knows what diseases and issues are with that one :unsure:

Uncensored 96 is worth watching it, even with the Shitty Doomsday Cage match, just for Regal and Findlay beating the shit out of each other for 15 minutes.

One of my favorite matches. Their Nitro match where they beat the fuck out of each other in a parking lot was great as well.

I'm trying to watch as many of the WrestleManias as possible before 30, there's so much I haven't seen. Starting with the first, I actually thought it was a pretty damn good show although it really doesn't get much talk in terms of the better Manias. Granted, there's no real long or great matches, but it's a really easy show to watch - perfect for a new fanbase. The only really bad match was Andre vs Studd, and I was actually surprised by how good Beefcake vs Sammartino was, shmoz finish aside. David's strikes were a little pony, but I really dug Beefcake's elbow smashes in the corner, and in general he seemed really competent here. Tito vs Executioner and Steamboat vs Matt Borne were really fun short matches too. Leilani Kai vs Wendy Richter was a bit rough and scrappy in some of the execution, but it was actually pretty decent with some genuinely good near falls towards the end.

The main event is a pretty damn good match, although the two referee deal and the managers constantly interfering towards the end makes it a little messy. That aside, I really enjoyed it and thought Mr T did really well for a non-worker. The couple of times he was struggling to get in to the ring to help out Hogan, he put on a better effort than most actual wrestlers would do these days, he really looked like he actually gave a shit and really wanted to help out his buddy. The heels were typically great, Orndorff taking big bumps for T's headbutts was a lot of fun in particular.

I thought T was great in that match. In my opinion it's between T, LT and Money Mayweather in terms of best celebrity wrestlers of all-time.