DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Fatal Four Way Wwe title match, In your house 13.

Stone Cold v Bret Hart v Undertaker v Vader.

A great match with a hot crowd and an excellent performance by Vader who had a nasty cut on the eye pretty much from the beginning of the match

Stone Cold and Vader are the all-stars of this match. Not that Bret and Taker were bad, but Vader was killing it with awesome strongman offense and bleeding everywhere.

Man, watching this, it's easy to see how Stone Cold got over. He came off as utterly unpredictable, as if he could ratchet up the violence quotient at any time or attack anyone. It's so exciting watching to see what he's going to do next. 

I mean, Austin is great in WCW, but his greatness there mostly came from being a smarmy bastard who was a great athlete that wasn't above cheating. Three years later, he's totally reinvented himself as a lunatic of sorts that might just do anything. Watching Austin in '97 reminds me of watching Sabu in '93/'94 in that both those guys had an aura around them where you never knew what the fuck they were going to do. 

Sid ranged from bad to okayish in ring, but Christ almighty did he have the "It" factor.

Sid's best run in-ring was '96, I think. I remember liking him in the International Incident six-man tag, against Vader at...some IYH, maybe Buried Alive, and against Michaels at the Survivor Series. I also remember Sid/Bret at the IYH (It's Time?) after Survivor Series being solid. 

But Sid is awesome even when he's being terrible in the ring as far as I am concerned. 

I had never seen the 2/3 Falls match between Doink and Marty Jannetty until now. The finish was what it was, but MAN, they gave these two about 25-30 minutes on an hour show to let it all hang out. And they did. And it's not as if either of those guys were even upper-card level. It would be like if Justin Gabriel and Seth Rollins got an Iron Man Match on RAW in 2014. 

Also, at this point, which was June on 93, two weeks before the Intrepid, Luger was already doing spokesman spots for ICOPRO. We should have seen what happened next coming. There might well have been advance warning but I don't know, I wasn't reading Prodigy. Usenet or the sheets at the time. 

Sid was much better than he was given credit for. I've been watching some '96-2000 Sid and it was really surprising to me how well he worked as an underdog against guys like Bret and Benoit; he was able to have matches with smaller wrestlers that similar big guys like Nash just simply weren't capable of.

• Like 2

I caught that episode of WWF Vault Classics from the Boston Garden some of you guys were talking about a page or two back. The Piper-Bruno match was a short but crazy brawl. Jesse vs Tito wasn't great - Jesse was always kinda shitty in the ring - but it was fun as far as giving backstory to why he always ragged on "Chico." I did find it fascinating that Body got such a MASSIVE face reaction even Gorilla had to acknowledge it. Then there was Steamboat-Savage, which wasn't quite Mania III but still really damn good.

Actually, I found it odd that the finish with Savage grabbing a gimmick from his tights and walloping Dragon on the way down in a back suplex was the EXACT same finish he used to win the I-C title from Tito a few months later - in the exact same building no less!

Speaking of Boston, did they have problems with crowd control or a history of unruly wrasslin' fans in the old Garden? I've seen a couple of these Vaults now and always notice like 10 Boston police officers right there ringside ready to swarm the minute a fan stands up where you see maybe a couple in NYC or Philly. Maybe they were just big WWF fans and wanted to get in free but it sure seems like overkill.

I'll do you one better. Savage beat Steamboat in the exact same way in the Wrestling Classic right about that same time.

I was 10 when both TWC and the IC title change in Boston happened, it was pretty early in my fandom and Savage's brass knucks apron finish was my first clue that MAYBE this pro wrestling stuff wasn't 100% on the level.

I had never seen the 2/3 Falls match between Doink and Marty Jannetty until now. The finish was what it was, but MAN, they gave these two about 25-30 minutes on an hour show to let it all hang out. And they did. And it's not as if either of those guys were even upper-card level. It would be like if Justin Gabriel and Seth Rollins got an Iron Man Match on RAW in 2014. 

Also, at this point, which was June on 93, two weeks before the Intrepid, Luger was already doing spokesman spots for ICOPRO. We should have seen what happened next coming. There might well have been advance warning but I don't know, I wasn't reading Prodigy. Usenet or the sheets at the time. 

Sorry to be commenting so often here, but I just had to say that Doink's celebration after hitting the Whoopee Cushion for the first fall is fantastic. 

Speaking of '93 Raw, I have seen Shawn Michaels get good matches out of Hacksaw and Kamala. He has been awesome so far on these RAWs. I would kill to see some of the WWF Manias and All American Challenges that they endlessly promote on these RAWs, too. 

Starting my History of Wrestling via the Network project. Watched the 03/17/75 pretty soon after the Network came online and it is a pretty forgettable card.

Finished the MSG 06/27/77 card and it is much better. Unlike the '75 card this features the entire night of wrestling and it is of better quality too.

Tony Garea vs George 'The Animal' Steele is my match of the night. This was my first time viewing Garea or pre Rock N Wrestling Steele and both were impressive here. Garea is the perfect firey babyface and he had the crowd eating out of his hand at one point. My only experience with Steele has been as a lovable goof but he completely gets The Animal gimmick over in this match. He is so primal in everything he does from vicious attacks to cowering in fear when Garea gets fired up. Even at a short 7 minutes I thought they worked hard at making the match entertaining. I gave it *** making it my current frontrunner for 1977 MOTY. I need to watch more wrestling from this era.

The rest of the card features a good Andre tag, the debut of Peter Maivia, a power vs power world title match and a sometimes painful Raschke/Putski 30 minute draw. To be fair Putski did show flashes of being a firey babyface which I loved but this match just dragged along with a lot of rest holds. While I didn't find anything that blew me away outside of the Garea match it is an entertaining card that is a good capsule of wrestling at the time.

While looking online for Finlay matches to watch on St. Patrick's Day, I realized the Network really needs to start showing the old WCW Nitros and WCW Saturday Night broadcasts.  The bulk of his work was on those shows.

There was some serious fucking around when they decided that they wanted to name a RAW jobber in 1993  BOBBY WHO (actually last name spelling on show).  It was like Vince said there needs to be more Abbot and Costello bits on the show and made up the wrestler just for Bobby Heenan.   And then they created a new wrestler just called WHO which I assume was create and inspired by Bobby Who  :lol:

Just caught Vince Russo commenting on the network about the Bret-Owen feud. I threw up in my mouth a bit and im pretty sure one of my balls got sucked up into my torso.

This was such a "Whoa whoa wtf is happening" moment.

• Like 2

Watched some old MSG shows while I was home sick yesterday.

4/6/81: I'd never noticed this before, but during the first Patterson/Slaughter match (the precursor for the Alley fight) there's an actual curtain sellout as you can see 6-7 wrestlers including the Moondogs trying to watch the festivities. There's also a funny shot of Vince Sr and Gorilla Monsoon (in a perm no less) as Bob Backlund comes out for his cage match with Hansen. Garea/Martel vs Sharpe/Rodz has a wonderful moment where Garea gets the hot tag and chases Rodz around the ring for a good 10 seconds. Funny as hell. Sadly this clip is only 4 matches long, unlike:

6/27/1977: I loved this just for how basic the ring work was and how simple spots like back drops and dropkicks would pop the crowd like mad. 

• Jan Nelson vs Jose Gonzales: I'd never heard of Nelson before this. He was a Verne trainee and looked really good here in job duty- apparently he OD'd at a rock concert a year or so later. Shame.
  • George Steele vs Tony Garea: Steele was way over and shockingly fun here, even going into the stands once or twice to chase the fans around. Seriously, working really hard and even busting out a bit of matwork at the start. I'm continually amazed that Garea's skull had the necessary structural support for that fabulous hair.
  • Superstar Billy Graham vs Bruno Sammartino's Hairpiece: yeah, this match was SLIGHTLY over. This was back when they used cops for ring security and you could see them say "screw the crowd, I'm watching the match." Finish is a double DQ, which leads to one fan in the front row absolutely losing his mind over it, jumping around yelling "BULLSHIT!" I want all of my wrestling like this.
  • Ivan SUPERPOLE Putski vs Baron Von Raschke: oooh, this was deeply ungood and the fans weren't afraid to shit all over it. Went to a "30 minute draw" (closer to 20) and Putski was a load the whole time.
  • High Chief Peter Maivia vs Baron Mikel Scicluna: this was Maivia's Gaden debut and there was a great "whooooaaaaaaa" pop for his tribal tats.

I am very glad to hear that Sid's injury is not shown on camera. I have been avoiding watching those last three WCW pay-per-views over the years even though I hear they're actually pretty decent, because I didn't want to accidentally stumble across that event.

They ended up showing it repeatedly on Nitro the next day.

If I was to watch one Sting vs. Muta match today, which would you suggest?

I think you are only limited to GAB 89 and Starrcade 89, of which the Bash is the better match.

And while not a singles match, the Halloween Havoc '89 cage match is pretty awesome, too.