DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Jake was destined for a main event fued with Warrior post Summerslam 91 remember. He'd have definitely been elevated if he'd stayed around but IIRC the reason he left was because WWF reneged on their promise to phase him out as a wrestler to become a Patterson level agent

I always thought the plan for SummerSlam 1992 was dependent on the location?

If it took place in Washington, it would have been Bret vs. Shawn in a Ladder Match?

Correct. I remember being at a house show in DC and they announced that Summerslam 1992 was coming to town. My dad said he would take me and I was soooo hyped. Two months later and they announced it was in the U.K and I was pisssssssed

• 4 months later...

"Bret ends up getting the heel turn spot that Bulldog had in the summer of 95".

Wonder how things go from there.

Getting the Hart Foundation vs. the Clique a year earlier would have been interesting. Ultimately removes Austin's push ever happening, possibly even the NWO if Hall/Nash stay.

• 3 months later...

More and more talk of TNA's imminent demise got me to think - what if TNA never took off or got the Panda Energy funding?

They start up and have their regular PPVs for a few years, but money dwindles and they end up being another UWF or WWA.

What becomes of most of the roster, and how does it affect wrestling in general in the 00s?

I doubt ROH would have been number 2 too quickly: That 2001 post-WCW/ECW's fall where a bunch of random feds either started up with the same style or tried to go national with the same style made it pretty clear nature abhors a vacuum...and Ring of Honor had the quality, but the mixture of the MOVEZ culture of the '00s and the indie revolution meant ROH were still too much of a niche promotion when TNA would go down in 2002-03 to compensate and truly be a #2 promotion (it's only now, when ROH crowds have started to accept hosses and gimmicky wrestlers on the ROH roster, that ROH has truly become ready to be the number 2 promotion in North America. Even with their roster now, it's fair to say half the ROH roster would have been eaten alive in the early-mid '00s Ring of Honor era.)

Put those things together, and it's more likely- if TNA failed in 2002-03, some other promotion just like it would have sprung up within a couple months- and so on and so forth until one of them finally took.

Simple one in theory.

What if WWE had their current policies on drugs, injuries, and concussions from 1984 onward?

It would have folded before Wrestlemania II. . . Seriously look at promos and the like, EVERYONE was on coke, Vince included.

• Like 1

Seeing the what if Bret never went to WCW made me think... what if, in 97, when Bret and Shawn were pulling their This town ain't big enough for the both of us (and Uncle Eric wants to pay me more to do less), Vince had decided Shawn was too much of a pain in the ass and let him go instead?

What if Verne Gagne's promoters hadn't rebelled against him in 87/88 and allowed Greg Gagne's AWA title win over Hennig to stand?

Or was that Cage match title switch just a work by PWI?

James

Austin was already red hot by the time Bret left. It was only a matter of time before he was the top guy.

Without Mr. McMahon it might not have been as hot, but "no Austin" is a big stretch.

Vince was already sowing the seeds for Mr. McMahon before Montreal. Without Shawn what you get is:

- Bizarro Mr McMahon who's pro-Bret Hart/Hart Foundation because they're "respectable". His heel turn is accelerated and he starts openly feuding with Austin post-Rumble instead of post-Mania.

- WM Main Event XIV main event is a Bret/Austin rematch with Austin winning the title, Tyson still gets brought in as enforcer, but with Vince inferring strongly that he's there to screw Austin. Tyson still ultimately helps Stone Cold.

- Bret never gets kicked in the head by Goldberg and Davey Boy never lands on a trap door, prolonging their careers and possibly extending Davey's life. Owen probably never does the Blue Blazer so he's still alive

- Most other stuff plays out slightly differently but Rock and Triple H were always gonna be stars. It probably takes Triple H a little longer in this scenario.

• Like 1

Question: would there be a place on this board for collaborative speculative wrestling history?

One what if: what if Verne gets incapacitated or killed in 1983, and Greg has to take over?   Does he keep Hogan?

It was never the Gagne's call. It was Hulk's.

No idea how the Hogan/Michaels dynamic works on top from there. Hogan wasn't going to give up a main event spot that easy...

That one's obvious. Remember that Hulk wouldn't even put over Michaels in 2005.

My gut feeling is that the invasion/WWF vs WCW was always fated to be Vince McMahon's Victory Lap.  Especially with Sting/Goldberg/Flair/Hogan Hall and Nash having fuck you/stay home money and sitting that first year out (and much longer in Sting's case).  That made it all the easier to book them as The Washington Generals.  But WCW in WWF was always going to be that.

- Most other stuff plays out slightly differently but Rock and Triple H were always gonna be stars. It probably takes Triple H a little longer in this scenario.

That tied into another part which also changes chaos theory: That is absolutely not a guarantee- and has many other changes.

As we saw in real life, when Bret left, WWE was willing to let Neidhart and Davey Boy leave with him for WCW (leading to the problem there.

By contrast, Triple H's contract was already expiring close to that time anyway, but if Shawn left, suddenly DX is dead, and Triple H has thus been a two time loser with the Curtain Call on his record, and every other Kliq member jumped to WCW. Put them together, there is no chance in hell (pun intended) WWF keeps Triple H around, meaning he joins Shawn in WCW...

...and then, things change far more abruptly even to now. If Triple H defects to WCW- even if he eventually came back to the WWE when WCW was purchased, it is a nigh-impossibility that Triple H and Stephanie McMahon marry  (if Stephanie didn't find someone else by the time Triple H returns, the very fact he left for WCW likely means Vince forbids it from happening on both sides.) Either way- that means no HHH rise to power, NXT is a pipe dream, etc.

On the whole NXT being a pipedream front, we don't know what Bret may have done when he retired. Maybe Bret starts NXT.

I do think that if Shawn goes to WCW, he's probably dead now. It took the back injury for him to finally take time off and get clean. In WCW, there'd be no motivation for him to change anything. 

A few other points:

- Shawn and HHH in WCW would've lead to some interesting TV though. I imagine that the Wolfpac is basically HHH, Shawn, Syxx, Nash and Hall and it just becomes DX in WCW. Young talent is further buried so Hogan AND Shawn can remain on top. Hogan and Shawn get into some backstage drama. Shawn is the one who ends Goldberg's streak and the Fingerpoke of Doom happens with Shawn instead of Nash. 

- I see Vince vs. Austin still playing out if Vince screws Shawn. Bret becomes the "corporate champion" leading into WrestleMania and the Hart Foundation is the new Corporation. Their angle is that they're resisting Attitude and Austin is dragging them kicking and screaming. Austin vs. The Corporation Foundation with Vince behind them would've been fun TV. 

- Benoit and the Radicals still leave but probably get more of a push with Bret still around. When Austin goes on the shelf, I imagine we get some awesome Bret/Angle, Bret/Benoit, Bret/Jericho feuds. WWF in 2000 would have unreal in-ring quality with Bret and Owen still around. 

- Triple H and Shawn feud over the WCW World Title in 1999 or 2000 and HHH gets a push from Vince Russo. Triple H and Jeff Jarrett are the hot feud of 2000. 

As for where they are now?

If Shawn is still alive and clean, he's probably still religious because it took THAT to get him clean in the first place. Triple H and company still end up in the WWF but have a short-lived nostalgia run as the Wolfpac before Shawn and Vince butt heads and he leaves town. Triple H sticks around for a couple of years but occupies a Booker T-esque role as a former WCW World Champion who is stuck in the upper midcard. Triple H gets a token World Heavyweight Championship run but doesn't do much else. He eventually quietly retires around 08-09 and becomes an agent. 

The rest all jump to TNA sometime in the mid 2000s, Shawn and Jarrett feud. The Kliq is out of TNA by 07-08 and they all once again go back to WWE for another nostalgia run. They work some indies but are basically in and out of WWE as a nostalgia act. Shawn quietly retires and has the role that Bret has now. He's a Hall of Famer who appears sometimes. He probably wrestles "one final match" against Vince at WrestleMania as a way to play off of their real life issues. 

Speaking of the Kliq, years before Montreal happened Bret was invited to join but declined the offer. What if he accepted? 

He eventually drops out because Shawn was always going to protect his closest friends (HHH, Nash and Hall) first. The Harts were always going to be 2nd fiddle.