DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

At the time it was suppose to lead to Bret dropping the belt in the four corners match at the December ppv. His contract did not run out til mid December. 

There was a lot of shit going on. I don't (and Bret doesn't for that matter) think it had anything to do with money. The WWF had a new direction and they knew Bret was not going to go along with it. 

Though after a year in WCW, I think Bret was ready to come back. If Owen did not die, I can't imagine him staying.

He did an interview in Power Slam while he was still in WCW, where he was asked if he missed the WWF. He said he did, but he didn't miss it the way it 'is now' (in 1999), he missed it the way it was (when he was there). He was upset about how they were setting up a Hart Foundation vs NoD feud with the racist graffitti in the locker room angle as well.

• 1 month later...

He flakes out and then flames out the same way in Japan that he did here in the states.  Maybe we get Hogan vs Earthquake for Mania 6?

Where does that leave Leon White? Does he still have the same sort of career only under his original moniker of Bull Power Leon White?

He flakes out and then flames out the same way in Japan that he did here in the states.  Maybe we get Hogan vs Earthquake for Mania 6?

Where does that leave Leon White? Does he still have the same sort of career only under his original moniker of Bull Power Leon White?

He'd probably remain in Europe for a bit longer, but eventually he'd have some measure of success in Japan.

Maybe they would have just switched places and Leon would have gone to WWE.  Hogan loved him some monster heels.

Does he become a heel without becoming Vader?  I remember he was a face in his AWA run, and I could see him starting as that in WWF- maybe ending up a Bam Bam Bigelow upper midcard face type?

What if Flair had reached his breaking point in 98/99 and somehow gotten WCW to let him out of his contract? Would WWE have signed him despite them going for a more youthful roster at that point? Would he have gone to ECW or Japan?

If I'm booking the WWF and I end up with Ric Flair in early 1999, I bring him in after Backlash 1999 and have him replace The Rock as Vince's chosen champion. Flair vs. Austin would've written itself as a feud between the flashy millionaire and the redneck from Texas. I'm not sure what becomes of the real life heel happenings around that time though. What does Taker do? How does Triple H's rise play out? 

If I'm booking the WWF and I end up with Ric Flair in early 1999, I bring him in after Backlash 1999 and have him replace The Rock as Vince's chosen champion. Flair vs. Austin would've written itself as a feud between the flashy millionaire and the redneck from Texas. I'm not sure what becomes of the real life heel happenings around that time though. What does Taker do? How does Triple H's rise play out?

HHH in 99-2000 was hot, but he needed that hungry young lion babyface like Rock to play off of. I'm not sure a program with Flair, although it'd have good matches, would help him much. As for Taker, he probably stays the same course.

HHH in 99-2000 was hot, but he needed that hungry young lion babyface like Rock to play off of. I'm not sure a program with Flair, although it'd have good matches, would help him much. As for Taker, he probably stays the same course.

Taker's course gets derailed a bit by Flair getting the spring-summer feud with Austin. The Higher Power being Vince would almost force Flair and Taker to share the lead role in the Corporate Ministry. I suppose that Taker-Flair would've been a fun SummerSlam match.

Taker's course gets derailed a bit by Flair getting the spring-summer feud with Austin. The Higher Power being Vince would almost force Flair and Taker to share the lead role in the Corporate Ministry. I suppose that Taker-Flair would've been a fun SummerSlam match.

But that fact is countered by the fact that, if Ric Flair DID come into the WWF in 1999, it's almost a foregone certainty that Flair, not Vince, would have been the Higher Power all along.

Flair may not have made a LOT of sense as the Higher Power, but the shock of Ric Flair's debut would have countered some of the lack of sense, and at least it would be entirely possible to make a satisfying reason why Flair COULD BE the Higher Power.

Between "Ric Flair was the person who gave The Undertaker his first WWF Title victory back in 1991" and WWE claiming "Ric Flair held Stone Cold Steve Austin back in WCW and got him fired by the company (even though it was really the exact opposite IRL)", you could make Flair as the higher power make about as much sense as anyone else being rumored at the time, and a hell of a lot more sense than "Vince McMahon had his daughter kidnapped and sacrificed to The Undertaker solely because he thought it would really piss Steve Austin off, even though he and Stephanie had barely met at the time".

I heard they wanted to move Flair down the card to IC level and he balked at that.

Yeah, apparently when he signed Flair, Vince told him something to the effect of, "if I eventually end up using you at a level below the world title and you don't want that, you can leave."  I don't know if that's true because it's unusually magnanimous but that's always been the story.

What if Nailz decided that going all Latrell Spreewell on McMahon wasn't such a good idea? I could see him squashing jobbers for a while, leading up to a feud with Taker. Not that Nailz was a good worker by any stretch of the imagination, but a match with Taker would've looked like Flair-Steamboat compared to the one that Taker had with Giant Gonzalez at Wrestlemania. Maybe throw a no holds barred stip in there or something.