DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think Armageddon tonight will determine how they run the next few weeks. I know Bray/Cena was originally in the works but the WWE can place Cena against anyone and it will be a huge deal. They can even run a quick Cena vs. Christian or Cena vs. Seamus program or even Cena/Titus or something like that. It would end up as a really good match and would have the same amount of build Bray/Cena would. They haven't done anything with it beyond The Wyatts attack Cena twice. I was hoping they would do something nuts like destroy Hogan on Raw leading to Cena seeking revenge, but they're not going that way so Hogan can host (and probably not have to take a bump.)

But if this match is half as good as the build, they should just continue down this path for a another few weeks. They have enough matchups between those dudes in various singles and tag formations to carry the time. An anarchic brawl at WM would tear the house down.

Then after WM, they can start the big Roman Reigns singles run. That might be the story of the year -- how well does Roman do in his run and how far can he go?

Rick Rude went from pretty meh in the ring to pretty badass in a fairly short amount of time in my opinion. I don't remember him being much of anything when he was in World Class or NWA and the first few months of his WWF stint. Then in 1988, he got damn good.

I'm in the "Rude was always awesome" camp myself..

Yeah, he was decent in Florida and Memphis, better in World Class, and half of the greatest team ever in Crockett.

You've heard the story of Manny getting frustrated with Rude over the fact Rude was making him do all the work, right?

Has there been another Wrestlemania in recent history where no matches have been set this close to the show? The event is six weeks away and I cannot predict a single matchup.

My gut says that the matches are set and we're just deluding ourselves.

• Like 1

Has there been another Wrestlemania in recent history where no matches have been set this close to the show? The event is six weeks away and I cannot predict a single matchup.

I feel like the matches for WM13 were up in the air pretty close to the event. Bret had that one day reign, Taker somehow was the #1 contender, Sid won the title, Austin was still hovering around but had a personal issue with Bret, Vader was still around. The only match I can remember really being built up for 13 was the LOD/Ahmed vs. NOD street fight.

My gut says that the matches are set and we're just deluding ourselves.

I think by set he means announced.

In that case, not really since EC usually "decided" the two big ones at least from a kayfabe perspective. Rock/Cena was PRETTY much set in but there was no idea that Swagger was challenging last year, for instance, and the next night is when the build for Triple H/Lesnar kicked in. Punk vs Taker did after that too.

I still think The Shield's got life in them until at least SummerSlam.  Regardless of tonight's result, at WrestleMania, I want The Shield vs. Undertaker, Big E, and Sting.

That way they can use The Undertaker match to actually try to give four young guys that are going to be around for a while a little rub for a change instead of focusing that match on guys that are closer to 50 than 30.  Plus, teaming Sting with Undertaker will give Sting instant credibility with the viewers that are unfamiliar with him.

Reigns can hit the Superman punch or spear on Undertaker and clearly have the streak ended but Big E breaks it up and then Rollins takes out E and then Sting takes out Rollins and you've got Ambrose sliding in all cocky thinking he's going to pick the bones but Undertaker sits up and takes out Ambrose to keep his streak alive.

Then going forward you've got further dissension within The Shield because Ambrose's cockiness cost them ending the streak.  Singles programs where the members of The Shield attempt to get the IC title from Big E.  Then Reigns can get it done and around SummerSlam they do the IC/US unification between Reigns and Ambrose.  And if they really have to they can also work in a spot where Sting accidentally hits Undertaker to set up a future singles between those two.

I feel like if the Shield ends tonight, it's because Ambrose turns on Reigns and walks out or maybe even joins the Wyatts leading in to Wrestlemania. Mania would be awesome as a Wyatt centric show, with Bray/Cena, Ambrose/Reigns and a tag title match.

I think they've held everything back because they're saving it for the WWE Network launch.

Regarding The Shield, I really hope they don't try and replace Roman with a new member. If WWE history tells us anything, it's that that never works out. The Shield worked because all 3 guys had excellent chemistry, debuted together, were built up excellent, and brought something to the group that no other member did.

Rick Rude went from pretty meh in the ring to pretty badass in a fairly short amount of time in my opinion. I don't remember him being much of anything when he was in World Class or NWA and the first few months of his WWF stint. Then in 1988, he got damn good.

Yeah, he was decent in Florida and Memphis, better in World Class, and half of the greatest team ever in Crockett.

You've heard the story of Manny getting frustrated with Rude over the fact Rude was making him do all the work, right?

Oh yeah. But when I was 16 I didn't notice, nor give a shit. And therefore my feelings stand. Ravishing and Raging were the best.

Orton and Batista is pretty well set in stone. I hope nobody is expecting a massive swerve in the chamber. I mean, it's always possible but right now you have to believe Orton has a 98% chance of winning the thing.

I guess we're getting Cena/Wyatt because I can't think of another possibility right now but it's weird how they haven't followed up on it at all.

Oh yeah. But when I was 16 I didn't notice, nor give a shit. And therefore my feelings stand. Ravishing and Raging were the best.

Ravishing Rick Rude and Manny "The Raging Bull" Fernandez are in my top 10 wrestling names of all of the times.