DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

Using Chromecast for any other device is flawless, haven't had any problems.  With the computer it's been okay.  It definitely is laggy.  You can type something in and it takes a second to show up on the TV.  For video it's been rather hit and miss.  I've had times where it crapped out on me while watching of all things the network announcement.  Watching CES had similar issues.  It also depends on the video quality.  If it is at 720p only it might have issues.  If you have the option to bring that down for slower connections it could be better.  Come to think of it I hope that's an option, can see potential issues running 720p with weak wifi signal.  It hasn't been mentioned, yet I imagine it's a given.  In the meantime a tablet or sitting at the computer will be my option until Chromecast support is added.

Roku is a helluva device from what I've seen.  If I had one I'd be quite happy with it.  As for Hulu Plus, I'd cancel it if it wasn't good for non-wrestling shows.  My fiancee and I use that and Netflix enough to justify keeping it.  So we already laid out who's paying for what so that will help.

Also, if you subscribe to the Observer, Bryan and Dave have covered this quite a bit.  Pretty fascinating discussions about it.

Cheap Plug -- I've put together a 55-page free PDF covering all of my pieces about the WWE Network from 10/31/2013 to today: https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/mookieghana-prowrestlingstatistics/wwe_network

Other analysis hounds might enjoy some of it.

Great stuff, this is the type of shit I was looking for. Interesting that we both basically agree on the number of subscribers.

Even though you suggest that the cable providers balked at the notion of getting half of fifty to suddenly just half of ten, I think this part in your earlier piece hit the nail on the head regarding WWE Classics OnDemand, and why the providers weren't down with the premium network:

"With a few hundred thousand subscribers the service has generated annual revenues around $5 million to $7 million – only about 2% of their total Live & TV Entertainment segment. Just offering old content isn’t enough of a hook."

I've always thought a Dinner for Five type show with one wreslter almost mediating (Colt Cabana would be good for it) while him and four other wrestlers (current and retired) shoot the shit over dinner.

MSG Network does something similar to this over the summer when there's no basketball or hockey and they need some programming. JB Smoove is the 'mediator' and it's usually him and a group of five guys, a mix of ex-athletes, actors and comedians, who just sit around and shoot the shit about whatever. It's actually not terrible.

I asked the wife what exactly is wrestling food, she said, pizza, wings, steak, maybe a cake for dessert. So that is what she has in mind for wrestling food for Wrestlemania Sunday. Hopefully the network doesn't fuck up that night.

• Like 2

Wife is all excited about getting the ppvs. Since we couldn't afford them and then cut cable last year, we will now be able to watch them all live. Her and my oldest daughter are planning a little family Mania party and want to cook "wrestling food" and are going to attempt a wrestling themed cake. I cannot wait until the network starts and hope that there are no hiccups past the first few days.

Sounds like a good family life to me. What's "wrestling food" though? wings? pizza?

ujex.jpg

wsv5.jpg

The earliest use of gibroni / jabroni? 

Also, look at those prices....

The earliest use of gibroni / jabroni?

Check out this podcast around the 44:30 mark.

Basically, the belief is that the term originated in the 1920s to describe Italian immigrants, coming from a word meaning "ham" in the Milanese dialect of Italian.

The earliest know use of a form of the term comes from the early '20s in Variety magazine.

The fact that none of the Indys have figured out away to profit off Youtube by now is kind of insane to me.  fit.

It's harder to monetize and profit than you think from Youtube. Of all the networks they launched in the past couple years, only a couple of them are even profitable.

Just like with music, I always thought TNA, ROH, and other indies should try to get their events on iTunes with an option to buy individual matches.

Much like the music industry, I think pro-wrestling tends to spend too much time holding onto past formulas instead of inventing new ones. 

While it might be hard to make any profit off of Youtube, how many indie promotions are making any money off their television shows anyway? Instead of paying a local broadcaster to show your television show, you could just as easily post it on YouTube for free and use it to both promote your live shows and fuel digital downloads of full shows.