DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

Yeah, Over-the-top for a DQ didn't go away in WCW until the Nitro-era, then it was kinda just dumped with no fanfare.

Banning the top rope moves kinda killed, along with Watts being Watts in general, the Light Heavyweight Division when it was fucking rocking, aside from Brad Armstrong blowing out his knee before his fued with Pillman when Pillman was just turning heel.

Not to spoil anything... but Starrcade '87 has an over-the-top rope DQ that is just mind boggling considering where they were...  It kind of ruined what was a GREAT match too.

It is WCW, mind boggling is their calling card.  Does anyone listen to the "Where the Big Boys Play" podcast?  They just wrapped up the Black Scorpion angle, which I missed when it happened, and they clearly didn't have a plan going in, as it was happening, or when it ended.  WCW was a circus even when it was good.

It sounds like Diners, Drive Ins and Dives as presented by WWE Superstars.

So who's as fake and annoying as Guy Ferry? The Miz?

I'd go for Zack Ryder as the WWE's answer to Guy Fierri because I would still watch. The Miz is too much douche for me to handle.

It sounds like Diners, Drive Ins and Dives as presented by WWE Superstars.

So who's as fake and annoying as Guy Ferry? The Miz?

I'd go for Zack Ryder as the WWE's answer to Guy Fierri because I would still watch. The Miz is too much douche for me to handle.

That burger was SICK bro!  CHEW CHEW CHEW! You know it!

Wonder how long it will take to get the Memphis Wrestling and World Class Video libraries out to the public?  Those are what I want to see

I just checked out a couple episodes online.  There's a ton of 80s stuff out there, 70s footage is raw but good.  I could only hope by the end of the year we see some of it on the network.

Man I really want to be able to watch the 1994 Fall Brawl Wargames match as I can't find it online in the usual places, and watching the buildup to it of late is phenomenal.

If it weren't for this, I would point out it is on the war games dvd set.

I still think we're probably looking at a while before we get the WCW C shows as well as things like Jakked/Metal/Mania/Action Zone. It's just low salience stuff. Anyone who would really be into it are people who are probably already buying the network regardless. 

My dream block would be if they took a night each week to run the weekly syndicated shows of multiple promotions from the same time.  For example, 8:00 show the World Class weekly show from January 5, 1984, then at 9:00 the WWF Championship Wrestling episode that aired that same week, and then at 10:00 the Crockett show from the same week.  Have an in studio host to discuss the events happening in each promotion that week (and other stuff in the news) and I would watch it every week.

Personally, having the On Demand section is awesome and I will be using it quite a bit, but at heart I'm still a put something on and make me watch it type of guy so I really hope the old fashioned network portion of the service is top notch.

ETA:  I figure this is what Monday Night War is all about, but having it for an earlier time frame would be cool, too.  Just fantasy booking the Network.  :)

• Like 2

I've seen the PPVs and some of the house shows that aired on Classics on Demand, just not much of the weekly hype shows and majority of house shows/fancams. I really enjoyed '87 and '88 because of the influx of talent, Rick Rude in particular.

Edit: Also, how did COD handle licenced music? Would they dub it over with generic production music? Like, Limp Bizkit for Undertaker.

In that specific case, they would usually just use a different Undertaker theme that was obviously done in-house. But for the most part, they would just use generic production music to dub over whatever songs/themes they didn't have the rights to.

• Like 1

weekly AWA is what i'm waiting for. i know it'll be quite a while before that happens, so i'm happy with my stacks of DVDs and torrents until then.

i love watching AWA on ESPN, but only wish they'd show stuff in order instead of just randomly throwing episodes out on there.

The fact that none of the Indys have figured out away to profit off Youtube by now is kind of insane to me.  fit.

It's harder to monetize and profit than you think from Youtube. Of all the networks they launched in the past couple years, only a couple of them are even profitable.

• Like 1

The fact that none of the Indys have figured out away to profit off Youtube by now is kind of insane to me.  fit.

It's harder to monetize and profit than you think from Youtube. Of all the networks they launched in the past couple years, only a couple of them are even profitable.

I'm not saying they would make millions, but I believe you get $8 per 1000 views with one of those prevideo ads.  They would have to put up a lot of content, but it would increase viewership for basically free.  The biggest reason they should do it is because it is essentially free advertising.  Ring of Honor has a Youtube channel that has some decent content on it, a 1:31 video of AJ Styles discussing his return has 32,738 views, which doesn't seem like much because that is essentially $256.  That is an interview with AJ Styles, couldn't they capitalize on it by making a playlist of some of his best matches and get more viewers?  Why don't they put their TV on Youtube a week late?  I live in the D.C. era and I can't watch their TV live, but if I could wake up on a Saturday morning and catch up on the angles, I probably would.  I'm not saying they would get millions of dollars from Youtube, I'm saying that they could make more money than they currently do by increasing their Youtube presence.

I think the success or failure to reach that 800k-1M number is less about getting a 3rd of the Raw audience and more about getting lapsed fans and assholes like me who are only watching stuff on Youtube.  That is a pretty fucking big number, though.

Nielsen ratings have been covered to death in here, but the system IS outdated. It's hard to quantify the number of eyeballs on WWE.  A good chunk of my generation doesn't even have cable (and never will)..

• Like 1

Another idea for the WWE Network, a "Hard Knocks" type show.

I want a taxi cab confessions type show with road tales taped with guys on the road to the next show. Preferably with just mounted cameras in the vehicle. No annoying host asking shoot interview type questions about what is the best fight they have ever seen in the locker room. Well unless they wanted to give that role to Flair. 

As I said the last time we were fantasy booking the WWE Network, they need to hop on the poker bandwagon.

Join us for DEAD MAN'S HAND, featuring the Undertaker and assorted WWE legends playing cards and shooting the shit for an hour.

• Like 7

Lots of local stations are fleeing the Neilsen ship, because they're absolutely terrible.  In my market, which has a population of just over a million people, there are TWO (2!) diaries that circulate across the entire market.  When I got the opportunity to be a diary family, the shows I marked down all went up a full ratings point.  That's when I got cynical about ratings.

• Like 1

Just some programming suggestions:

• How about they get Steve Austin to be their Johnny Carson(I can't bring myself to say Jay Leno) and host a nightly talk show. 
  • Remember those segments they had with Cornette where he is basically yelling about what is wrong with wrestling?  Those segments were great, he seems to be one of those people that has an opinion about any and everything at the drop of a hat.  How about we get him and another blowhard(Michael P.S. Hayes maybe? Ideally they would rehire J.R. to do it.) to do a PTI type show where they put over the angles and the talent.  
  • Bring back those Legends of Wrestling Roundtables
  • A Wrestlecrap style show, where they make fun of the sillier parts of wrestling. 
  • How about a show that highlights some of the best angles ever.  It would be like those Hardwood Classic shows where they have an Isiah Thomas on a stool talking about the game where he scored 25 points in the 4th quarter of the finals with one leg(If you get to see that one watch it, Isiah gets emotional at the end and you realize how much he loved playing basketball).  They could bring in Ric Flair and Dusty to talk about their fued.  They could bring in Foley and Vader to go over their series of matches.  All of those shows always give you some insight that you never get from watching the games/match and I think it could be really interesting.
  • Like 1