DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

They mentioned some devices that "couldn't be announced right now" and gave out branded Apple TVs to all the reporters, and all the press packets (sent to various news sites/networks) for the event had Chromecasts in them.

Everyone talking about indie wrestling is ignoring the possibility, no matter how incredibly slim, that some indie is able to get shown on the app. WWE could even do a show showing highlights of certain promotions during each month. It would help the business and give them more programming.

They mentioned some devices that "couldn't be announced right now" and gave out branded Apple TVs to all the reporters, and all the press packets (sent to various news sites/networks) for the event had Chromecasts in them.

Does that mean we are in for fun stories of Meltzer struggling to get this technology to work?

If it's just to get WWE Network onto your t.v. without a bunch of cables, you might be better off with a $30 chromecast. 

The computer that would be linked to the WWE Network is on the struggle bus.   It has to think about Youtube videos most of the time

Does that mean we are in for fun stories of Meltzer struggling to get this technology to work?

Probably, but they mentioned the other day that dave hss a roku box already.

If this does hurt indies, I wonder if companies

Like PWG will eventually try to work out a deal to get their stuff streamed note network. Or maybe Netflix and/or Hulu will eventually try to fill their soon-to-be-gap in wrestling content by streaming indies. Probably wishful thinking.

Cubbymark brought up the indies which I think is a fair and realistic discussion. I don't buy indy wrestling DVDs, but doesn't smart mark video offer an on-demand service or at least a digital delivery option? There is that in terms of keeping up with the digital age and eliminating the need for physical DVDs. Price point could be an issue because $10-$15+ for an indy IPPV/DVD vs. $10 for an ENTIRE MONTH of WWE Network seems like a hard sell for the indies. A realistic option could be to try and get on Netflix and Hulu. There's a bunch of random/old stuff on Hulu including LuchaLIbre USA and some other stuff and isn't there a Legends Return indy show on Netflix with Nash? I'd say most indies would need to up their production values, but those are certainly options for them.  

Honestly, now that WWE-Mart is setting the price point of the-entire-catalogue-of-TV-wrestling at $10 a month, indies that want to actually be relevant internationally should just take out a YouTube-partner account and try to draw whatever revenue they can out of that.  If the Network works out, the only edge the indies will have will be to provide a more convenient product on an easier and more accessible platform, which means putting all their stuff on YouTube.

EDIT: For instance, I would like to watch more Ring of Honor and Dragon Gate USA than I currently do.  However, neither of those seem to be accessible in a convenient location.  However, I would be fine watching an ad or two on YouTube between each segment if I got the shows there.  They even have the edge on stuff like the WWE because they don't have all sorts of Byzantine TV contracts that force them to region-block their content from Canada (and elsewhere, but I live in Canada, so fuck elsewhere).

The fact that none of the Indys have figured out away to profit off Youtube by now is kind of insane to me.  It is almost impossible to have a visual product in 2014 and have such a minimal Youtube presence.  Try to find an El Generico match from the Indys on Youtube and you'll find much more from Japan than the US.  There is not a cheaper or easier way to gain eyeballs than Youtube, yet they seem to be against it for some reason.  Why not offer a free past event per month, or showcase a couple matches from their biggest stars?  It would cost the amount of money they pay the guy to upload the videos subtracted by the amount of ad revenue that they receive(those ads that everyone skips within 5 seconds, the user gets paid more than 50% of the revenue, not too shabby if you get enough eyeballs).  Odds are they would make a profit.

Everyone talking about indie wrestling is ignoring the possibility, no matter how incredibly slim, that some indie is able to get shown on the app. WWE could even do a show showing highlights of certain promotions during each month. It would help the business and give them more programming.

I was thinking about this possibility too, but I think that now with the Performance Center, they really aren't even looking at the indies any more. I'm not sure there is really an indy out there that they would want to associate with right now, style or talent wise. They certainly aren't short of their own footage to add to the Network, and they might add another hour to NXT with the amount of people they have at the Performance Center and the need for original content.

I also wouldn't mind seeing them try to do another "bridge" promotion like ECW was. Kind of half way point in between NXT and Raw & Smackdown. With a mix of good veterans that aren't really doing anything and young guys they want to slowly bring along.

I was thinking about this possibility too, but I think that now with the Performance Center, they really aren't even looking at the indies any more. I'm not sure there is really an indy out there that they would want to associate with right now, style or talent wise. They certainly aren't short of their own footage to add to the Network, and they might add another hour to NXT with the amount of people they have at the Performance Center and the need for original content.

I also wouldn't mind seeing them try to do another "bridge" promotion like ECW was. Kind of half way point in between NXT and Raw & Smackdown. With a mix of good veterans that aren't really doing anything and young guys they want to slowly bring along.

The NXT possibilities may be what I'm most excited about, especially since they are doing a live show with some big matches on it right out of the gate.  I hope they don't go to two hours, because the show works really well at its current length, but I wouldn't argue with a big two hour live show every month or two to blow off fueds and get the young guys ready to wrestle a PPV style.

If I subscribe and my 11 year old wants to watch, say, a John Cena documentary on his iPad while I want to watch Starrcade 83 on mine, will I need to have two subscriptions?

prob not.

both mlb at bat and netflix allow 3 or 4 multiple logins, so the network prob will too

You know, this wouldn't necessarily get rid of piracy altogether.  It would just lead to a different type of it.  Those that have Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc. can just easily give the login to whoever they wish.  One person can pay for it but you can have multiple people using the service.  Use a generic login and that's it.  It's technically not stealing, yet you can have a few people leech off ot if with one person paying.  I don't believe there's some kind of regulation in place for any of these services, but it is something to think about with their projected user base.  If they're looking for that magical break even number, if enough people go this route it might put a little damper on that number.  What would stop me from giving my login to a friend who longs for the Attitude Era and somebody else who wants to host Wrestlemania?  It technically is possible.

As for Chromecast support will be there eventually for it.  That's cool for me, I love using that.  In the meantime using Google Chrome you can just cast out the tab it's on to the TV so it'll work just as well.  But once they bring that functionality in that'll make things a bit more convenient, especially if the computer is a bit of a distance away.  Smart TV support would be ideal as well, but I'll take whichever way brings the awesome to my TV.

Do people just not understand that Nielsen ratings are based on statistical sample sizes (which are remarkably accurate) and not just adding up how many Nielsen boxes are tuned into whatever show at any given time?

That you don't know anyone with a Nielsen box is not surprising.  The television watching population is massive.  The sample size does not need to be that large, and especially not if you and the people you know are part of a large demographic (and chances are you and the people you know are both part of a large demographic and are the same demographic).

The Nielsen boxes are a statistically significant sample, but all they tell is how many TVs are tuned to what channel, not how many eyeballs are actually watching those TVs. Sports programs, and we'll include WWE under that category, tend to be "event" shows, where people gather to watch them. It's what makes sports programs so valuable, because A) they're watched by more people than the ratings indicate, and B) because they're more likely to be watched live rather than DVRed.

Nielsen boxes do take this into account. They make you create profiles for the people in your home, along with the demographic information about each person. Then every 15 minutes, you're prompted to enter who is currently in the room watching that specific TV. It's how Nielsen gets demographic breakdowns for quarter hours.   

I'll admit math isn't my strong point, but I find the rating/viewer numbers interesting. Along those lines and the subscription numbers discussion. I'm sure having all of our/their subscriber info at their fingertips is a strong value. Along with the possible ad revenue, personal information is valuable for companies and advertisers. The way Facebook and Google target ads based on our info/preferences we've given up, WWE can do the same. 

They'll be able to see and track what we watch and when we watch across the board. That could greatly influence the way they target ads on particular subscribers.  

And this accounts for people who don't live with you how?

This is like asking because GlaxoSmithKline didn't test their newest medication on you, how does your doctor know it will work? Do you not understand the concept of "sample size?" I'm not going to do statistics 101 here, but these are really elementary points.

• Like 4

Quit being a dick and actually read what I'm saying. Sample size has nothing to do with factors the data collection does not account for. "Event" programming, i.e. sports/wrestling, are noted for being programs people will gather together to watch. This includes people who do not live with you, i.e. people whose presence is not noted by Nielsen boxes or recorded by Nielsen books.

When the percentage of people watching in these types of gatherings is greater (as it is for wrestling,) the disparity between the Nielsen ratings and how many eyeballs an advertiser can expect to reach is greater than for shows where this behavior is less common. This is also "elementary", and moreover is something that everyone involved (e.g. advertisers, content providers,) is aware of, hence why sports programming is so expensive for the networks to acquire.

Quit being a dick and actually read what I'm saying. Sample size has nothing to do with factors the data collection does not account for. "Event" programming, i.e. sports/wrestling, are noted for being programs people will gather together to watch. This includes people who do not live with you, i.e. people whose presence is not noted by Nielsen boxes or recorded by Nielsen books.

When the percentage of people watching in these types of gatherings is greater (as it is for wrestling,) the disparity between the Nielsen ratings and how many eyeballs an advertiser can expect to reach is greater than for shows where this behavior is less common. This is also "elementary", and moreover is something that everyone involved (e.g. advertisers, content providers,) is aware of, hence why sports programming is so expensive for the networks to acquire.

The Neilsen ratings are not just the number they get from the data multiplied by a number.  They do pretty extensive analysis to account for a variety of factors.  You are pontificating.

Furthermore, don't break out the don't-be-a-dick card when the post he's responding to is a sarcastic one-line from you.

The Neilsen ratings are not just the number they get from the data multiplied by a number.  They do pretty extensive analysis to account for a variety of factors.  You are pontificating.

wikipedian_protester.png

Furthermore, don't break out the don't-be-a-dick card when the post he's responding to is a sarcastic one-line from you.

Go back and actually read the posts in context? I posted about gatherings, another person posted about Nielsen boxes having profiles for everyone in the home, which did not address what I was talking about. I pointed this out. Antacular's dickish response followed.

http://www.tvratingsdiary.nielsen.com/content/panel/tvdiary8_en_us/FAQ.html

Let us know who watches TV in your home
How do I record viewing for visitors?

For visitors, be sure to write the word "visitor" instead of writing in their name or initials. You can also attach a separate sheet with the gender, age and TV programs viewed for any visitor. Please ask any visitor to write down their viewing either in the diary or on a separate sheet.